Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2008

arbarnhart is on a distinguished road
I would introduce myself and talk to the other owner. You can be polite and friendly but still communicate your desire to keep a tight ship and not have the boat visited while you are away. They may try to tidy up. I am a messy guy, but I do try to keep things neat in shared areas out of respect for others. I'm not stupid, but sometimes I need someone to point out that something is shared space. He may not realize that the standard is higher for slips than for a personal dock on private property.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-19-2008

kennya is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the comments, as I stated in the original post the swim ladder was down and the life line was down. Coming aboar5d without permission is just the start. The mess left behind for me to cleanup goes a little further. Do I put padlocks on my ladder as well as my life lines? Where does it stop? The owner of the marina told me “there is a long list of boat looking to get a berth” when I told him of the situation.
Old 08-19-2008

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennya View Post
Do I put padlocks on my ladder as well as my life lines?
I would.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennya View Post
The owner of the marina told me “there is a long list of boat looking to get a berth” when I told him of the situation.
Then he should have no problem finding a new customer to replace the one that apparently has no respect for their boat or (we assume) yours, right?

Jim
Old 08-19-2008
High Desert Guy

Ziaduck is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEMIJim View Post
I would.

Then he should have no problem finding a new customer to replace the one that apparently has no respect for their boat or (we assume) yours, right?

Jim
Agreed. Hopefully just talking with your new neighbor will solve the problem.
Old 08-19-2008

Boasun will become famous soon enough Boasun will become famous soon enough
Gesh!! We've talked about electricifying our life lines to keep off Sea Lions and Pirates, now do we have to do the same for trespassers & Looky-loos?
Guess I will have to put that electric fence around my boat after all.

But I want pictures of the first few that touch that fence!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Maritime Instructor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Rapture
Old 08-19-2008

badsanta is on a distinguished road
I have been sitting in my cockpit and had people walking about the dock and I ask them who they are looking for, you get answers of, just looking or why are the bathrooms locked? When I say you know, this is privet property they argue with you that this is public property! I tell them I have to pay for the bathroom and it is for members and guest ONLY read the sign and take a hike and don’t touch anything.
Yes, I am a mean old SOB
Old 08-20-2008

MIKEMCKEE will become famous soon enough
I just have to think about what the boy and his girl friend had in mind and were planning on his father's boat?
Everyone at my marina are sail boaters, no stink pots at all there. There isn't a second thought between any of us (65 to 70 sailboats) to either keep an eye out for any problems there or helping to adjust a line or finder. It makes me feel a whole lot safer when we can't get down to the marina every few days or so.
I once saw a set of jack stands on a boat in the yard that were only setting on one leg, they were being pulled down and really could have caused a big problem if they had broken loose, after I called the yard manager at his home, it wasn't 15 minutes and he was there. It also helps that Paul Anderson our yard manager was Walter Cronkite's personel machanic thoughout his sailing career.
Old 08-20-2008
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
I dont think the OP was talking about helpful hands looking out for others by adjusting lines..cleaning out cockpit scuppers or even boarding the boat to investigate why its sitting in the water a few inches more then it usually does.

These are all OK reasons in our minds and greatly apreciated...But common courtesy to ask befor using privet things i.e. a generator...should and always has been standard protocol starting in the sandbox where I grew up.
Old 08-20-2008

Boasun will become famous soon enough Boasun will become famous soon enough
But if you are totally erked at tresspassers and looky-loos then set a couple of booby traps...Non lethal more of a prank kind.
But be very careful!! Booby traps can backfire. Be very very careful!

Maritime Instructor

S/V Rapture
Old 08-20-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
IMHO, going aboard to help out is one thing... going aboard to help yourself is not the same thing...even if they leave cash... what if your generator was low on oil... and they ran it and seized it...would they be responsible enough to pay for the repair/replacement of it???

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.