Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2008

kennya is on a distinguished road
Angry Trespassers!

I had some thing that just had to be taken care of, so I hadnít beet to the boat for almost three weeks. When I arrived on Sunday afternoon the starboard life line was unattached and the boarding ladder was down. The boat on my starboard side has new owners.
On the forth of July a large number of boats gathered to watch the firework display and the Confederate Air force do there routine. I as well as the new people were a part of this flotilla The Boatís state decal is out of date, and when they finely made it back to the docks, they had no lights, not even cabin lights.
We spent the night on board, next morning was somewhat amazed at the condition of there boat. The hatch was left open the life lines looked like a close line. Flip flops and swim gear all over the dock.
I bring all this up only because in the years that I have berthed at this marina, I have never had any trouble with my dock mates. Now I am cleaning alga growth from my boarding ladder and using this form this to express my anger. I have not seen the new people, but did report this to the dock master.
Strange, I still donít feel better.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-18-2008

MIKEMCKEE will become famous soon enough
Be glad your hatch was locked, I can't think of what might have happened if they had got inside and had a grand time at your expence.

Mike
s/v Blue Bayou
Old 08-18-2008

RAGTIMEDON is on a distinguished road
From your description it sounds like they have no respect for their boat and/or their equipment; you could hardly expect respect for yours! Keep your hatches locked!

1980 Endeavour 37 sloop, currently in the Mississippi near St Louis
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-18-2008
'72 Pearson 36

SVDistantStar is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to SVDistantStar
Ive had an issue out on anchor a few times with people going aboard my boat. Headed out to the boat one afternoon to find a 18'~ centre console tied up behind my boat with 3 people sitting in the cockpit. Figured id screw with them, so i pulled along side and asked if they were the owners of the boat. They said they were buddys of the owner and he let them tie up for a bit to get out of the sun. I told them they needed to call the owner since the boat had drug anchor and almost hit "my" boat the night before. After a few minutes of them trying to give a reason why they couldnt call i let them know im the owner of the boat and if i ever saw them aboard my boat, or any boat in the anchorage i would call the police/dnr/cg. Still havent seen that little boat around.

One of the other times, i didnt catch the person onboard, but a buddy that lives on another boat near by cought them. It wasnt a big deal, turns out it was another guy in the anchorage that had his gennerator quit, he brought over a few gallons of gas, his charger and battery, plugged in and fired off my genny to charge up. Turns out he had slipped a note and a $20 through the vent in my door. Too bad he didnt just call the phone number written under the vent on the door.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1972 Pearson 36 S.V. Distant Star
Old 08-18-2008

davidpm is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVDistantStar View Post
One of the other times, i didnt catch the person onboard, but a buddy that lives on another boat near by cought them. It wasnt a big deal, turns out it was another guy in the anchorage that had his gennerator quit, he brought over a few gallons of gas, his charger and battery, plugged in and fired off my genny to charge up. Turns out he had slipped a note and a $20 through the vent in my door. Too bad he didnt just call the phone number written under the vent on the door.
So what is the protocol in this situation? Do most folks figure it is OK to borrow something on deck as a domation is made?
I'd be a little nervous because with my luck his generator would have a problem where you had to stuff a rag someplace to prevent gas from squirting otherwise it would catch on fire.
Old 08-18-2008
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
OR worse....as in my case I close all sea-cocks...would they know to open them and not fry your gen-set?....There are a select few I give use of my things including full use of them if needed....Our own McGiver, Mr. erps... is one of thoes ..even though we have never met we have shared enough through this forum both publicly and privately that he has made that list...Im a fairly good judge of character and have no fears what so ever in doing so....but some one who just thinks they can board and barrow regardless of good intentions with out asking I have issues with...Unless its an emanate life or property threatening situation...i.e a fire extinguisher needed or of that nature.

Last edited by Stillraining; 08-18-2008 at 07:15 PM.
Old 08-18-2008

RickQuann is on a distinguished road
Gosh, I guess I'm lucky. At our marina, each boat owner is considered part of an extended family and we watch out for each other's boat. If I see someone's cockpit scuppers stopped up, I don't hesitate to step aboard and clean 'em out, or secure a tarp, etc., etc. Most have been in the marina for years though and I guess thats the difference. Finding strangers sitting in my cockpit would be unnerving.
Old 08-18-2008
Barkeep - Sailor's Pub

craigtoo will become famous soon enough craigtoo will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to craigtoo Send a message via Yahoo to craigtoo Send a message via Skype™ to craigtoo
My God?!

What has happened to "permission to come aboard?"

I would never board anyone's boat without them inviting me. I thought that was some sort of Cardinal Rule?

My neighbors at the Marina and I have spoken, exchanged numbers and for those 3 guys ....they are welcome anytime to adjust a line, toss a fender, tie a halyard... steal a beer, borrow a tool...whatever they need.

But a stranger? For no other purpose than... "It was hot and I wanted a seat under your bimini..." I hope they notice the competition rifle trophy proudly displayed...

Now, if a stranger comes aboard while I'm dragging anchor? Not A Problem. That's my own damn fault... or if he sees my boat grinding against a dock in a real high tide.. not an issue. He'll be thanked and offered the beverage of his choice...

C'mon aboard uninvited to give something.. never to take.

My friends can come aboard anytime for any reason...(because I know they would need a damn good reason...)

I love
Old 08-18-2008
'72 Pearson 36

SVDistantStar is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to SVDistantStar
Just to clear things up, my generator sets on the deck right ahead of the mast. Its a small aircooled unit that you just flip the switch to on and yank the cord.

There are a few no trespassing signs on my boat now and the genny has a new valve on it that disables it.

As for the guy that used the genny, i wouldn't have minded if he had called me first, and my number is posted on my door and in the windows.

1972 Pearson 36 S.V. Distant Star
Old 08-19-2008

trantor12020 is on a distinguished road
Boaters at my marina are also like extended families. One night a friend saw a couple in another friend's boat cockpit having a good time. He phoned that friend who then came with the marina security and a few other boaters to confound the intruders. As it turns out, the intruders was the boat owner's son and his girlfriend. What a boo boo. Looks like we don't know all our "extended families" well enough.