SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Is there anything people won't steal?

3K views 17 replies 16 participants last post by  LittleMissMagic 
#1 ·
#4 ·
Last year, the cemetery where some of my relatives are buried had about half the bronze flower urns stolen. A local metal recycler tipped off the police when someone brought them in to sell as scrap.

#7 ·
It happens everywhere, not just construction sites. A 2-ton propeller was stolen last year from the Tiburon Yacht Club. This thing was 10 feet in diameter!

The price of metals has gone through the roof in the last couple of years, so scap meteal is big business now. The scrap dealers need to be held accountable for buying stolen goods.

#8 ·
Thats a big 10-4

We lost about 3500.00 worth of brass watter line fittings out of our yard last winter...I called all the surrounding scrap dealers..only one would talk to me and she was Korean and couldn t understand me ( or did a good job of pretending not to understand )..

#13 ·
I once had someone steal my dirty underwear that was on top of a washing machine waiting to go in next, so yes....people will steal anything.

In my industry conductor theft is a problem. Every now and then they will find some genius cooked to death because he tried cutting into a live line.

One of my sister facilities in NYC found a hacksaw blade almost all the way through the insulation on an 18Kv conductor in a switchyard substation. For some reason the cuprit stepped back for a second and thought about what he was doing. He made off with his life that time instead of a few bucks worth of copper.

My station is 500Kv with mostly steel reinforced aluminum conductor that is 3 inch dia. Steal it, I dare ya......go ahead........get closer......closer...... Ohhhh, too close... no meth money for you.

Hear that buzzing sound? Good, now go steal a hub cap instead.

#15 ·
I was working a geoduck fishery last week. Several of the dive boats parked at a nearby marina (Kingston) overnight and left jerry jugs of fuel on board their boats. Next day, one boat went to top off the fuel tank on his water pump and the motor quit. Some jerk stole his fuel and replaced it with water so he wouldn't notice it right away. That's just way low.

#17 ·
and money, yes people even steal money!

when the face value of coins falls below the value of metal in them, people melt them for scrap.

then it gets better; the governments' solution: make coins out of strange alloys that cannot be separated, recycled or re-used, thereby destroying non-renewable resources and creating eternal landfill-filler to rival the best plastics.

#18 ·
Beware Boat Ramps

Since I dive for a living, myself and my coworkers frequent boat ramps across the country. We just came back from a job in Morgan City, La where or receiver hitch was stolen from the pickup while sitting in the parking lot of a local boat ramp. Thanks a whole hell of a lot to whoever did that! They were kind enough to leave the retaining pin. I put us about three hours later getting on the road to find a replacement. This isn't the first thing I've had stolen at a boat ramp though and won't be the last I'm sure.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.