Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2008

Aria is on a distinguished road
Tilley Hats, are they worth it?

I need a new hat before next weekend, as I will be participating in the Red Fox Regatta in Charlevoix, MI. I'm thinking about getting the Tilley T3. Are they really worth their price?

Additional information: I am a red head that burns very easily. Fashion is not my top priority, but the total geek look is right out. I hate sun screen, especially when it runs in my eyes, so I avoid using it. I normally do not wear hats, so when docked I will probably not wear the hat, but hat hair is also on my list of looks to avoid.

Thanks for your input.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-23-2008
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
Seems a bit of overkill for occasional use.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

Old 08-23-2008

BillBrush is on a distinguished road
I have a Tilley (LTM 6) and I love it. I keep my hair cut very short and I got tired of sunburn on my scalp, ears, neck and face, so I bought one earlier this year. As an added benefit it keeps rain from going down the back of my neck.

You might be surprised if you get it and wear it more than you expect.

Ultimately I can't speak to whether or not it will be worth it to you, but I've found mine to be an excellent purchase and I'm planning on getting another one for fall and spring wear.

Bill
Old 08-23-2008

sailboy21 is on a distinguished road
I have had my Tilley for 6 years now. I can't think of any other wearable things I own that have lasted that long. My dad has had his for 15 years. Both of our hats have been a H.O.B. more than once and are still around. When you add up the total cost of all the cheaper hats you would go though during a time frame like that it would be a lot more than a Tilley. So yes, probably one of the best sailing hats you can buy and well worth the initial cost.
Old 08-23-2008

Yado is on a distinguished road
Tilly Hat

I bought a hat at the Annapolis boat show last fall because i'd forgotten to bring a hat from home. The sun was blasting and my balding head was getting fried. That Tilly hat has become my favorite, has around 60 days of offshore time and has traveled with me around South America; great hat. The thing will never, ever blow off of my head, floats and has a bullet proof strap system. i'd buy another one, worth the money and comes with a replacement warranty; the shop actually called me to confirm my warranty.
Old 08-23-2008
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
You buy them somewhat loose fitting if you follow the factory recommendations and so hat-hair is not as big a deal as with a ball cap. I think you'll find the comments above to be quite accurate and have no regrets in purchasing one. Mind you, the posters so far are only the least passionate owners of such hats. Wait around a bit and a certain Canadian will be along capable of a five page dissertation on the joys of ownership.

Use the straps as instructed and it will stay put and you'll find no issue with the quality either. As to geekiness, in sailing form follows function. You'll look smashing in it. It's worth considering that women did not even think of wearing pants until Kate Hepburn did, but to Kate it was never a big deal, and the rest is history.
Old 08-23-2008

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about
Give me a good ol' straw lifeguard hat
Old 08-23-2008
Salty Dog

Saildoggie is on a distinguished road
I love my Tilley hat, by all means worth the investment, there is no other like it.

They are for for sure the best made, worth every penny!

Old 08-23-2008

Freesail99 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Freesail99
I got an $8 buck boonie from an army surplus store, works for me.
Old 08-23-2008
I've mislaid my Kraken!

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Dennis, a Tilley is top quality. If you can get one at a discount, it can also be well priced. If you can't lay hands on both a Tilley and whatever competition to see if the quality is the same...You have to vote with your heart or wallet.

I got one in Canada, as a souvenir of Canada (they're a Canadian company, eh?) from a Tilley store. Pretty much everything in their line is steeply priced but the dollar was strong so that helped too. The officially trained Tilley Clerk insisted I get one that I thought was too small, and a month later I emailed Tilley to tell them that no matter how they felt it should fit--I didn't like it.

No fuss, they replaced it with one in the size I wanted. Their warranty and service is as famous as their price and quality. No doubt someone in Asia can make the smae product at 1/3 the price--I just don't know if anyone bothers trying to. Or explaining the features and small details, like the stash pocket in the hat (great for stashing a couple of bucks for the launch, when your wallet is still packed).

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.