Goofy, fun additions? (plus questions on flag etiquette, ratlines) - Page 2 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2008
Watkins 23

rrh is on a distinguished road
You might want to Google Gasparilla images. Lots of pirate theme there, including pictures of the pirate ship that invades Tampa, FL every year.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-25-2008

jjablonowski is on a distinguished road
Walk the Plank!

But ya gotta add one, first.

https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/rwahlfel/w...iratePlank.htm
Old 08-25-2008
Senior Mumble

jbondy is on a distinguished road
Ditto the advice about the stuffed shirts. There's no proper way to be a non-conformist!

If you're going to be having anyone walk a plank, be tossed into the briny or be keel-hauled, make sure you've got an easy way to get back on the boat. Preferably something rigid, a rope ladder over the side can be pretty tough to climb.

Have fun!
Old 08-25-2008
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
Hey maybe a big old pirates flag at anchor in Guatemala is all you need for security...Pirates were always knowen to be armed and dangerous...
Old 08-25-2008
not-so-old salt

tonybinTX is on a distinguished road
how about carving your own figurehead?
Old 08-25-2008

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about
add some belay pins, which come in handy, again they're pretty simple to do and can be added just below the first step of your ratlins

Freedom comes when youíre ready to sail away. True freedom comes when you donít have to return

Cut off from the land that bore us, betrayed by the land we find, where the brightest have gone before us and the dullest remain behind, .......but stand to your glasses, steady,.......tis all we have left to prize, raise a cup to the dead already, hurrah for the next that dies
Old 08-25-2008

J36ZT is on a distinguished road
Arrrr! Don't ye be pay'in no attention ta' the landlubbers. Ye can hoist a Jolly Roger anywhere ye likes. But, don't ye be a fly'in it aft nor above me Old Glory! Old Glory 'tis flown from 0800 'til dark. Ye don't need ta' be fly'in her if ye likes, 'cept ye be respect'in her...or I'd be runnin' ye through. I've seen many a noble soul lost to the causes She's flyin' fer.

Now, ye need ta' be askin' 'round fer help ta' be a savin' yer pieces o' eight. Me thinks yer local Coast Guard errr Yacht Club might be a willin' ta help so as they can use ye craft fer boat parades, or pluderin'...whichever ye likes. They may be a tellin' ye where ta' get ye rope cheap, 'sides a chanderly or hardware store.

As fer ye black decks...could be a damagin' yer Gelcoat, 'specially if'in ye be in lower lattitudes. Ye can fix it by covering ye decks wit' ye tarp when not engagin' in ye plunderous business. An', anythin' aloft 'tis sure ta' change the way she sails.

Take care o' Brethern o' the Coast, an' Fair winds wit' Followin' seas ta' ye also.

Pirate Skipper, J/36 "Zero Tolerance"
Old 08-25-2008

capttb is on a distinguished road
You are Free to fly any novelty flag you wish, when I play pirates I prefer being one of the "good guys".
Attached Thumbnails
Goofy, fun additions? (plus questions on flag etiquette, ratlines)-send4.jpg  
Old 08-25-2008

mstern is on a distinguished road
Coincidentally, its coming up on National Talk Like a Pirate Day. The "organizers" have a website and have written a number of books on the Pirate Way. Maybe they have some suggestions for you.

The Official site for International Talk Like A Pirate Day - September 19
Old 08-25-2008

jgeissinger is on a distinguished road
Pirate flag

I was at the Isthmus (Catalina) a couple of weeks ago when some under 30 ft. Cal or Columbia pulled in with a 6 ft. pirate flag flying from a halyard. My teenage son said, "Here come the drunks". He was right of course. The boat was a pile, the people on board were plastered before noon, and they generally acted like morons. Nobody else was intimidated, and certainly not impressed with their self-proclaimed "saltiness". They just viewed them like the jerks they were. However, the entertainment value was great, especially when they left the next morning with their 4 hp outboard pushing them out of the harbor with their hook-on boarding ladder dragging in the water on the side of their boat held on by just one skinny piece of line. Now, this is just one person's opinion, of course, and "I'm just sayin"", but if you want to look like you're salty, learn to care for and handle your boat; if you want to look like a drunk hillbilly, get a pirate flag.

You may now attack.