Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2008
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
Boy you guys are crrrrrruuuuuuull....
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-25-2008

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillraining View Post
Boy you guys are crrrrrruuuuuuull....
Still,

I honestly meant to be helpful. If it came across otherwise, I sincerely apologize to the O.P.

I'll try to work on my delivery.....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 08-25-2008

denby is a jewel in the rough denby is a jewel in the rough denby is a jewel in the rough denby is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRPollard View Post
Still,

I honestly meant to be helpful. If it came across otherwise, I sincerely apologize to the O.P.

I'll try to work on my delivery.....
John,

I read your post and it seams ok to me. Trying to fit a lot of info in is tough, but you sounded ok.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Be careful or i will do what the voices tell me to do

To get the most from Sailnet, follow the link in
's signature.

Hey stuffit "Get a life"
Old 08-25-2008

denby is a jewel in the rough denby is a jewel in the rough denby is a jewel in the rough denby is a jewel in the rough
Unless Still was talking about Cam's attempt to rig his RV.

Be careful or i will do what the voices tell me to do

To get the most from Sailnet, follow the link in
's signature.

Hey stuffit "Get a life"
Old 08-25-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Still-

Most of us are being a bit cruel...but not to the OP...to Cam, maybe a tiny bit... But, it is only because we like Cam that we pick on him.

Denby... good one...

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 08-25-2008
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
Oh cam deserved it all Im sure.......poor little fella

Wasn't meant too include you John.. you were your gentlemanly self as usual..

I knew who you were all aiming at...

Last edited by Stillraining; 08-25-2008 at 08:34 PM.
Old 08-25-2008

Siamese is on a distinguished road
My first boat, back in the mid-seventies, was an aluminum 16 footer. I don't recall the beam (width) of the boat. It was a Grumman Flyer.

Some things that might help identify until you can provide a picture: It is a soft chined hull (you'll have to look that one up). The centerboard was about 4 feet long, maybe a little more and was maybe 3/4" thick, solid metal, probably aluminum. The boat was basically open except for a deck at the bow covering about a third of the boat. No seats in the boat...you sat on the edges or down on the flat floor. The track you mentioned for the mainsail was screwed to a mahogany board that went across the middle of the boat. The logo on the sail, if there is one, could be a gull (the Grumman gull), or maybe also a GF (for Grumman Flyer).

Sorry, I could not find a link to a picture of a Grumman Flyer.

That's about all I can think of right now...does your boat conform match this description?

IF you have a Grumman Flyer, you have a pretty nice little boat.
Old 08-25-2008

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
This may be kind of like the blind leading the blind, but I'll give it a go...

Quote:
Originally Posted by runner View Post
It has an aluminum mast with an adjustable foot position.
The part where the bottom of the mast sits on some part of the boat is called the mast step.

Quote:
The mast is 20 feet with a track for the piece that the main sheet attaches to to hoist the sail.
The line that hauls the main up the mast is called the main halyard. The mainsheet is something else. (See below.) Your mainsail will have either a bolt rope along its entire luff or it will have sail slugs every foot or foot-and-a-half. Whether a bolt rope or sail slugs: It or they will slide in the mast track.

Quote:
The boom slides up the same track. There is one cleat at the bottom rear of the mast that I assume is for a downhaul on the boom.
Hard to say what that's for, w/o pictures.

Quote:
It has a jib sail that is a few feet shorter than the main. It attaches with bronze clips
Those are called hanks

Quote:
to the front mast support cable
That is called a forestay or headstay

Quote:
and I am not sure where it cleats down yet.
Do you mean the tack of the foresail (aka: jib if it's 100% or smaller, genoa if it's any larger)? We'd have to see a picture of your foresail's tack and of the area at the bottom of your forestay.

Quote:
There are two cleats on the front edge of the cockpit that could be used to move it from one side of the mast to the other.
Maybe. But see below. If my guess below is correct: Then these might be for your main and foresail halyards. There would need to be turning blocks for each at the bottom of the mast, tho.

Quote:
The bottom mast corner is controled by the line only
Dunno what you mean by this.

Quote:
The boom has a sheave at the mid point and near the end both.
Both on the bottom?

Quote:
There are cockpit cleats at the midpoint of the boom on each side of the cockpit and one on the rear of the centerboard well. There are two line eyes mounted on the deck outboard and a little to the rear of the front corners of the cockpit.
I'm guessing those two cleats are for your foresail and the eyes are fairleads for the foresail sheets. I'm guessing the one at the rear of the centerboard well is to hold up the centerboard?

Quote:
If I use the two cleats at the front of the cockpit to hold the jib sheet and the lower corner of the sail, then I have to move the sheet around the mast by hand each time, but the jib sheet is the only line really needed.
As I said above: I suspect the two forward cleats are for halyards and the two aft cleats for your jib sheets (note: plural). You'll attach two sheets to the clew of the jib, and haul in and cleat the appropriate one depending on your tack.

Quote:
If I use two ropes snapped to the eye on the sail, and then run thru the eyelets on the deck and tied at the rear cleats, all I have to do is ease one and tighten the other to move the rear of the jib from side to side.
Bingo! But you won't be "snapping" anything to the clew of the jib. You'll be tying the jib sheets to it with bowline knots. The clew of a foresail is no place for snap shackles and the like.

Quote:
Rigged that way, the sheet that hoists the sail
Sheets don't hoist sails. Halyards hoist sails .

Quote:
That would allow about 4 feet of side to side movement of the back corner of the jib. I don't know if that much is needed or not.
You don't trim the jib in tight from one-side-to-the-other all the time. The only times you'll have the jib trimmed in all the way is when you're close-hauled (aka: beating [short for beating into the wind] or on a beat).

Quote:
If the center pulley connects to the cleat on the back of the board well, Then what is the back pulley for? I need some help!
I'm kind of lost, myself, at this point. We need pictures. And I suspect there's some missing hardware. I suspect the rear block on the boom is for the mainsheet, but I'm clueless about how it's rigged from what you've given us.

Hope this helps and isn't a load of hooey!

Jim
Old 08-25-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Whampoa...I may not all things the right names, but I've got something else you can pull on!
Dawg...you're next in line. sorry!
Old 08-25-2008

Whampoa is on a distinguished road
Cam, sorry, no RV experience Over to you Dog!

US East Coast
1962 40' Auxiliary Cutter
S.S. Crocker - Design # 330