Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2008

EO32 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by runner View Post
There is a 3/8ths rope sewn into that side of the main.
You will find that hoisting a bolt rope main is hard. I had that type of sail on my SolCat. We used to spray PAM into the grove in the mast to make it easier. There may be a more high tech solution today such as Team McLube SailKote.
If a man must be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps better than most. A small sailing craft is not only beautiful, it is seductive and full of strange promise and the hint of trouble.

- E.B. White
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-27-2008

RAGTIMEDON is on a distinguished road
So don't feel bad about being a clueless newby ---- Cam and I have each been sailing for over 30 years, and we are still clueless! Just don't listen too closely to Cam, or he will have you mounting not one, but two grills on the back of that boat! B F grills, at that!

1980 Endeavour 37 sloop, currently in the Mississippi near St Louis
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-27-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Don...actually...CD provides the bar-b-ques and I provide the gas!
Old 08-27-2008
Banned

runner is on a distinguished road
not allowed yet

I need to make some posts first.
Old 08-27-2008

Whampoa is on a distinguished road
Posted On Behalf of runner:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

US East Coast
1962 40' Auxiliary Cutter
S.S. Crocker - Design # 330
Old 08-27-2008
Banned

You can see part of the wooden floorboards in the picture. There is a cleat on each side at the brace middle of the cockpit. You can just make them out. There are two right behind the square hole for the mast. There is one on the mast and one on the boom. You can see the line guide on this side.

There is a repair in the keel behind the centerboard. Other than that, the bottom has pits that need filling, and I am considering having the keel welded on both sides the full length of the boat. I have not tested for leaks yet.

Anyway, there it is!.
Old 08-27-2008

freddyray is on a distinguished road
I am very new to sailing, but I am going to stick my neck out. When rigged you will have two halyards. So you need two cleats to cleat those off. I suspect those are the two right behind the square hole for the mast. the two line guides are for the jib sheets one down each side. and the cleats in the back one on each side are more than likely to cleat off the jib sheets. Not sure it it is a swing keel or a dagger board, but the cleat on the housing it to hold it up when trailered. It will rig just like my Mariner.
Old 08-27-2008

here it mine.
Attached Thumbnails
Help for clueless newby-carlyle4th-011.jpg  
Old 08-27-2008
Banned

So far we are in agreement. The one on the mast is for a downhaul on the sliding boom mount. The only problem that leaves is that those are all the attachment points on the boat except the ones for the motor mount that you can see, and the ones for the rudder. There is nothing for the boom to be controlled by unless a rig is set between the two middle cleats. That seems unlikely to me. The one online book shows a drawing of a rig like that, but I doubt it would be run between two cleats with the tops facing each other. By the way, it is a jibhead type mast rig. It is a swing keel with a wire and handle setup for lifting or lowering the centerboard.
The boom has two blocks. One center and one near the end. It also has a small block and cleat for that attaches to the clew of the main sail for adjusting the foot of the main.
What is there is pretty well made. I guess I have make a traveler type rig for the main, including adding hardware to the boat. My only problem with that is that this boat has been used a lot for many years and that is no sign that there ever was any other hardware!
Maybe someone will recognise the hull. Thanks for all the help all!

Last edited by runner; 08-27-2008 at 08:36 PM.
Old 08-27-2008

my mainsheet attached to the deck with a block for trimming it. The other end attaches of course to the boom. did you buy this around St Louis. Someone had one for sale awhile back.