Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2008

freddyray is on a distinguished road
" The boom has two blocks. One center and one near the end. It also has a small block and cleat for that attaches to the clew of the main sail for adjusting the foot of the main. "

The center block will be for your mainsheet. ?The other end of your mainsheet will attach to the deck or keel box. The other block it to pull the foot taut on the boom. The line from the clew will pass through it and there should be a cleat somewhere on the boom to cleat off this line to keep the foot taut.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-27-2008
Banned

runner is on a distinguished road
Chesterfield

How local are you? I bought the boat from a gentleman in Chesterfield that told me he got it from a museum on the East Coast. He said he had never sailed the boat, but that it should be fast for it's size because it is so light. I really thought I could read a little and figure this one out, but I was wrong!
Thanks for the info about floor mounts. I will look tomorrow to see if there is a place to mount to the floor. The mast has a bunch of pin positions in the foot. It looks to be a well made aluminun boat that was almost over built, and then worn out! If I have to, I will do a thin glass job over the entire bottom. At what my buddy says epoxy chromium primer for aluminum is selling for, this may be a longer project than I thought!
Good day all!
PS: The outhaul on the boom has it's own block on the side of the boom that is smaller than the ones for the main sheet and has a matching cleat for the right size to be used with the small block. My boom looks like the one in the book I was told to read that has the two blocks on the bottom of the boom and a traveler rig on the stern. If I had a couple of attachment points, that rig looks pretty much like I expect mine should be.

Last edited by runner; 08-27-2008 at 09:13 PM.
Old 08-27-2008

if you picked it up in Chesterfield you are about 10 minutes from me. I would be glad to help with the boat.
Old 08-27-2008

you don't need a traveller rig on a boat that small. It will just add weight.
Old 08-27-2008
Banned

Jeff county

I am off 21 out in the Otto area. Once I get to a stage where I need to actually start drilling, I will surely consult with you! I figured to learn the boat at Council Bluffs where the no wake rule keeps the lake from being a motorboat speedway. The rudder is not a swinging type, but I figure there is plenty of deep water there for me to learn on.
At this point, My main focus is on getting the old paint off and knowing exactly what needs doing.
By the way, your boat is a lot more curved and higher in the front than mine I don't know enough to know if that is good or bad!

Last edited by runner; 08-27-2008 at 09:59 PM.
Old 08-27-2008

we sail over at Carlyle mostly. Creve Coeur lake is good also for our size boats. I would see if you can't have a shop sand blast it with walnut hulls. Save a lot of time.
Old 08-28-2008

another thought occurred to me last night and being a very new sailor myself should have occurred to me sooner, but you also have to have places to attach the stays. My boat has two side stays on each side and a forestay so some of these points maybe for that.
Old 08-28-2008

Whampoa is on a distinguished road
Morning runner,

Can you take and post some additional photos of the boat.

A better side profile view that shows the bow would help in trying to identify the boat.

Photos of your mast and boom would also be helpful. The masthead, the foot of the mast and any cleats or other connections along the mast.

Lay the boom on top of the boat in the side profile so we can see the relative positioning of the blocks and cleats. Include photos of the ends of all cables (stays and shrouds) connected to the mast.

A few close ups of your centerboard and it's trunk won't hurt either. Same for the rudder and tiller.

Regards, John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

US East Coast
1962 40' Auxiliary Cutter
S.S. Crocker - Design # 330

Last edited by Whampoa; 08-28-2008 at 11:01 AM. Reason: Spelling corrections
Old 08-28-2008
Banned

first bunch of pics.

I have to roll it over to get more detail. Will do that later. It is real warm out there right now! Anyway. Here are pictures of the floorboards, rudder, side view upside down, and two of the bottom. The bottom shots show the pitting that I am studying on the best way to deal with.

Rudder

Floorboards/deck?

Bottom from the rear

Bottom from the bow

side veiw inverted

More as soon as I get ambitious enough to roll it over and step the mast.
Thanks for all the help guys!
Old 08-28-2008
Banned

more

This shows the boom just sitting in place in the mast. Need the sail to hold it up where it goes. The track and the boom fittings are there to see.

A liittle farther back with truck to give a little perspective.

This is the centerboard and well/trunk

More when the camera recharges.