Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2008
Banned

runner is on a distinguished road
Help for clueless newby

I purchased a 16 foot long by 64 inch wide aluminun sailboat this weekend to restore. The basic boat is all there for the most part, but it is not rigged. I don't know anything about sailboats except what I have read in the last few days. I have a few questions!!!

Since there are no markings to identify the boat, I will attempt to describe the boat as best I can. I apologise for not being up on the correct lingo yet. The boat is 16 feet long and 63-64 inches across. It has an aluminum mast with an adjustable foot position. The mast is 20 feet with a track for the piece that the main sheet attaches to to hoist the sail. It does not provide for an internal line. The boom slides up the same track. There is one cleat at the bottom rear of the mast that I assume is for a downhaul on the boom. It has a jib sail that is a few feet shorter than the main. It attaches with bronze clips to the front mast support cable and I am not sure where it cleats down yet. There are two cleats on the front edge of the cockpit that could be used to move it from one side of the mast to the other. The bottom mast corner is controled by the line only The boom has a sheave at the mid point and near the end both. There are cockpit cleats at the midpoint of the boom on each side of the cockpit and one on the rear of the centerboard well. There are two line eyes mounted on the deck outboard and a little to the rear of the front corners of the cockpit. Other than the rudder mounts and the motor mount brackets, those are all the attachment points on the boat.
If I use the two cleats at the front of the cockpit to hold the jib sheet and the lower corner of the sail, then I have to move the sheet around the mast by hand each time, but the jib sheet is the only line really needed. If I use two ropes snapped to the eye on the sail, and then run thru the eyelets on the deck and tied at the rear cleats, all I have to do is ease one and tighten the other to move the rear of the jib from side to side. That is simple. Rigged that way, the sheet that hoists the sail would be cleated at the front of the cockpit and two separate lines would actually control the sail. That would allow about 4 feet of side to side movement of the back corner of the jib. I don't know if that much is needed or not. I am guessing that is the way it was rigged before.
That leaves one cleat open on the back end of the board well to control the side to side on the boom. The boom has two pulleys. One middle and one to the rear to control the boom. It also has a smaller pulley to pull the sail taut mounted on the boom itself. The main sheet and the rigging for the boom are gone. Looking at the pictures and diagrams online, I don't have the hardware for a rig like most I have seen. If the center pulley connects to the cleat on the back of the board well, Then what is the back pulley for? I need some help!
That is the first of my many questions! Thanks in advance for any help given!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-25-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Runner-

Go to the song chain and post eight posts so you can post links to photos and then link to some photos. Also, read the post in my signature, since it has a lot of useful information for new users....including how to post photos.

Photos would help a lot on a post like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 08-25-2008

imiloa is on a distinguished road
Read up too

Runner,

I suggest you also get a good basic book on sailing and sailboats so you can study up and familiarize yourself with the terminology. You'll learn quickly that everything on a sailboat has a specific name and using the correct names will make communicating with other sailors much easier. Best of luck with your project.

Gary
Old 08-25-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
For books, I'd highly recommend Dave Seidman's The Complete Sailor. About $17 at Borders or Barnes & Noble. A bit less on-line.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 08-25-2008
Banned

runner is on a distinguished road
Thanks!

I was told this boat dates back to the forties. If it had any kind of identification, I have not found it. It is still possible I will find something as I strip the many layers of paint.
As far as the lingo goes, I will pick it up. Still have not seen the name of the sliding piece that is on the end of the main sheet and slides in the channel of the mast. That is the only piece I don't have that is needed to rig the boat the way it used to be rigged that I know of.
Right now the boat is upside down with paint stripper being used on one side. I am posting between scraping sessions. I don't know if a shot of the bottom is going to help, but I will get one if you think it would help. I will get pictures of the boat upright as soon as I can.
The hull is around 200 pounds, but I am gonna scrape 10 of that off at least.
Does that book describe or diagram small boat rigging in any way?
Again, thanks in advance! Have a beautiful day.

Last edited by runner; 08-25-2008 at 06:07 PM.
Old 08-25-2008

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Still have not seen the name of the sliding piece that is on the end of the main sheet and slides in the channel of the mast.
sail lugs ???
Old 08-25-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Are you talking about the gooseneck that you use to put the BOOM into the mast? The main SHEET attaches to the headboard at the top of the sail and the sail is generally attached to the mast with sail slides or lugs which slide up a track or channel on the mast.
Old 08-25-2008

Whampoa is on a distinguished road
Cam, I've never seen the mainsheet attached to the headboard before Was that on a multihull?

US East Coast
1962 40' Auxiliary Cutter
S.S. Crocker - Design # 330
Old 08-25-2008
Telstar 28

Cam-

On my boat, the Main HALYARD attaches to the Headboard... at the top of the sail. The Main SHEET attaches to the boom. Maybe it is a good thing you are taking up RV'ing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
Are you talking about the gooseneck that you use to put the BOOM into the mast? The main SHEET attaches to the headboard at the top of the sail and the sail is generally attached to the mast with sail slides or lugs which slide up a track or channel on the mast.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 08-25-2008

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Runner,

Camaraderie misspoke above. He meant to say "main halyard" not "main sheet". A halyard is a line or cable that is used to hoist or lower a sail. A sheet is a line that is used to trim (i.e., pull in or ease out) a sail.

It's a bit tricky to understand how your boat is rigged without seeing some photos. But I think the "pulleys" (by the way, in most cases, we refer to pulleys as "blocks", as in "block and tackle") on the bottom of your boom are for the mainsail sheet ("mainsheet") system.

Probably the mainsheet line leads from the cockpit up to the block hanging from the middle of the boom, then aft to the block at the end of the boom, and from there it more than likely leads down to bridle or other attachment point at the stern where it gets tied off. You would hold and trim from the end of the mainsheet that hangs down into the cockpit from the block at the middle of the boom. Possibly it leads to another block or cleat near the centerboard trunk.

That's a curious boat you've got there if it's as old as you think it is. Photos would be helpful. Good luck!

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.