SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

What exactly will the Coast Guard do

5K views 32 replies 19 participants last post by  Finback 
#1 ·
We were out last weekend and were listening to the vhs.
There was a lot of distress calls from people asking for help. Mostly taking on water.
It was very interesting how the operator handled the calls.

My question is what do they do when they get to the boat in distress? I heard, probably incorrectly, that the CG does not attempt to save the boat.
So I know the procedure during the call but what is the procedure on arrival.
Will they put a pump on board or just take people off and let the boat sink?
What equiptment do they carry?

What about seatow. How do you decide who to call?

#2 ·
Generally speaking, if you want to save your boat you'd best call Seatow or some other type of marine salvage firm. The USCG is going to rescue people and leave the boat-in general. If it is a threat to navigation or a pollution risk they may make some other efforts, even scuttling her, but don't count on it. They are a life-saving organization not a boat saving organization. On most boats you're best advised to carry what might be needed for damage control and the saving of your boat.

#3 ·
The Coasties will lower a gasoline powered trash pump and hoses if the vessel is sinking and is far from any other help. I've seen the gadgets. They're small, and pretty easy to run.

They have become pretty heartless the last few years, and will happily scoop you and your crew up and leave the boat to sink if it's in deep water.

Better to have an account with Sea Tow and/or TowBoatUS. They'll at least make an attempt to save your boat, and most of them have serious trash pumps aboard.

#4 ·
No, you heard correctly. The USCG isn't in the boat saving business... if you call them, they will attempt to save your life, but as long as the boat isn't a danger to other shipping, it isn't their problem.

#6 ·
I would be surprised if they even respond at all.
Most times in my area, they make a general broadcast and ask that any other boat in the area offer assistance. Unless its life threatening, they don't come out.

#7 ·
There was a report of a sinking/sunken boat, with debris in the area, but no people visible, on the lake we were on a a few weekends ago. I didn't see any CG boats, but I did see a CG helicopter head off in the direction indicated by the radio traffic.

(Never did find out what that was all about. There was never anything [we saw] on the "news," no scuttlebutt amongst the sailors and boaters we know, nothing.)

Jim

#8 ·
Which all brings us to another interesting item.

Nearly every day here near the junction of the St. John's River and Julington Creek, the orange and white helicopter goes out to play a truly stupid little game with a USCG (confiscated) go-fast boat--the scenario, I guess, is that they are trying to run down some dastardly terrorist or drug runner.

I've had the opportunity to watch their operation (antics?) dozens of times. The boss and I both agree that if WE were the bad guys, and we had guns, the cute orange and white helicopter would soon be swimming.

Meanwhile, they're burning at least 60 gallons of gas an hour in the go-fast boat, and who-knows-how-many gallons in the helicopter.

Meanwhile, someone can scream for help, and be ignored. Sorry, gang. There's something inherently wrong with this picture. We have a Navy, an Army, a Marine Corps, and an Air Force who can easily and happily go blow up go fast boats. They'd probably even enjoy it. Personally, I think the Coast Guard should go back to being the Coast Guard as it was in the sixties and seventies. That was their original purpose. As far as them 'guarding our shores' from the bogey man, they don't have the people or the hardware to do it.

#12 ·
Which all brings us to another interesting item.

Meanwhile, someone can scream for help, and be ignored. Sorry, gang. There's something inherently wrong with this picture. We have a Navy, an Army, a Marine Corps, and an Air Force who can easily and happily go blow up go fast boats. They'd probably even enjoy it. Personally, I think the Coast Guard should go back to being the Coast Guard as it was in the sixties and seventies. That was their original purpose. As far as them 'guarding our shores' from the bogey man, they don't have the people or the hardware to do it.
Even better, every day in the Washington DC area you'll see the orange air sea rescue helicopters patrolling the Beltway as part of their "new" DHS duties, looking out for the bad guys. :eek:

#14 ·
"Mission creep" on this thread??

Yes, the CG is spread thin with port security on top of marine safety.

Yes, the other services have deadly weapons they can, and may enjoy, using.

But for the maritime equivalent of "boots on the ground" (meaning "boats on the water, close by") Gary are you seriously suggesting you want the Coast Guard to withdraw and stick to SAR only, and let the other services do wartime defense and coastal security?

Okay, try if for a while, and see if it works for you. If it does, great. If it doesn't, then welcome back.

Full disclosure: Ex-USCG (desk-driver) here.

#15 ·
I also was under the impression also that unless life was in danger the CG would just refer you to SeaTow or TowBoatUS. But I observed an incident off Milford CT during by annual cruise earlier this month that had me puzzled.

I was anchored off Charles Island as were several other boats, including a large (50+ft) catamaran. The cat owner set off in his dinghy to town for dinner. About 30 minutes later a thunderstorm rolled though with 25 knot winds and small hail. The cat immediately started dragging, just missing several anchored boats, and was heading out into deeper water and off to the middle of Long Island Sound! Fortunately the wind shifted and pushed him to shallow water and the anchor caught. About 15 minutes later a USCG boat with 3 crew roared up to investigate. Couldn't get into to the shallow water where the cat was so must have called a local marina as a Boston Whaler came out went to USCG vessel then to the cat. After boarding and investigating, they went back to the USCG vessel then back to town. The USCG vessel hung around for about a total of an hour, the roared off in the direction of New Haven. The cat owner came back around dark, retrieved his boat, and reanchored. He came over to talk to me and said his Fortress had fouled on a trip line and buoy he had rigged. Was very surprised to hear the USCG had been checking him out. I can only assume that one of the other boats anchored nearby had called on Ch. 16 and they responded even though there was no danger to life evident. Very strange.

#16 ·
Unfortunate that your only experiences seem to be negative.

Ask Sea-Tow/Towboat US why the CG doesn't tow as much anymore. I'd love to. Commercial assistance sees this as lost revenue. We still tow if the situation warrants, but the days of the "courtesy tow" are over.

Happy to answer any questions...

Active duty Boatswain's Mate sends.

#17 ·
Ask Sea-Tow/Towboat US why the CG doesn't tow as much anymore. I'd love to. Commercial assistance sees this as lost revenue.
Same reason the Police no longer open your car if your keys are locked inside?... The locksmiths fought them on that one.

G
#20 ·
USCG SAR policy

This is something I am quite familar with, as I deal with most every day.

The current SAR policy (what the CG will and wont do) was reconstructed in the 80's, the current massaged version is accessable by a link below. The reason it was changed from what the old timers remember (which is that the CG tows everyone for whatever reason) is because congress was taking a good look at the CG budget and wondering why the government was running a free boat towing service when commercial enterprise could do it at no cost to the taxpayer. I liken it to the CG being "Mountain Rescue" and the commercial operators being like AAA. You dont call mountain rescue when you are out of gas. This also would help boaters to pay a bit more attention to the maintainence of thier vessel. If you know it will cost you a healthy towing bill, you may just stop and think a bit more before heading out. (that part hasnt worked, trust me!)

In a nutshell...

First, if lives are in danger, everyone who can, heads for the scene. This includes any marine law enforcement, CG assets, which include aircraft, the USCG Auxilary, and regular USCG boats. Typically SeaTow and Vessel Assist will come too. I run on most every boater related distress call. The priority is to rescue souls. Property is secondary, however if they (The USCG) have no other priorities, they typically will attempt to bring the boat back too. Helo's and the larger boats carry encased pumps that are printed with universal language instructions that most everyone can understand. They may also take the people off and turn the boat over to a commercial operator who can stabilize the boat and bring it safely in, if one is available.

If you are just drifting, engine, steering, or some other failure that renders your boat inoperative, and you are in no immediate distress and you call the coast guard, they will run through a prepared script and ask you all sorts of seemingly unimportant questions. The answers to these questions will determine whether the SMC (SAR Mission Commander) thinks that you need assistance and how soon.
Most likely you will hear this, "Captain, for the situation you have described, it is Coast Guard policy to assist you in locating other timely and competent help. Is there a friend, marina, or commercial firm you would like us to contact for you?"

This is where you ask for them to contact SeaTow for you. If you refuse commercial assistance, they will then ask you if you would like them to issue a MARB (Marine Assistance Request Broadcast). They will make a broadcast over VHF 16 that sounds like this. "All stations, (3 times) this is Coast Guard Group Astoria, relaying a Marine Assistance Request Broadcast for the Vessel "More Dollars than Sense" 15 miles offshore of Cape Disapointment, for more information switch and listen on channel 22 Alpha, this is USGC Group Astoria, OUT" Then on 22a they will broadcast the rest of the pertinant info, vessel description, GPS position, nature of problem, etc. This broadcast invites any good samaritans to come to your aid.
Be advised, the people manning the radio are usually the most junior people on the base, this can be very frustrating during the information gathering phase of the process, they may ask what seems to you, very silly questions. One recent boater I towed was 15 minutes up river in a mass of about 500 small recreational fishing boats and they were asked if they had enough food and water on board. Its all part of the script they have to go through, be patient. Keep in mind that the usual radio operator may have never even been on a boat and most likely does not know the local area, so telling them you are in the "sandy bottom fishing hole" wont help them much, always have a GPS so you can give them an accurate position.
The problem with the MARB is when you get a good sam, you have no idea of their experience, boat conditon and capability, or even if they have a tow rope that will survive the tow. (an anchor line works sometimes, but will usually part after a while). I carry about $900 worth of tow line aboard...and I cry every time it gets cut or broke. (4 times this season so far.) : (

The other consideration is insurance, commercial providers have huge insurance policies that cover them, and your boat too. If you have a serious problem while being towed by a good sam, like being pulled over rocks by a shallow draft powerboat, (We cut that buoy all the time dude!) with your fin keel, your insurance will probably want to go after the powerboaters policy (since he was the official captain of your vessel) and for certain he has no rider for towing.

I dont want to disuade good sam's from coming to help, and come you should, but it may be best to stand by, make sure everyone is OK and the boat is not standing into danger, convince the owner that commercial assistance is the best policy. After all, its what we do every day and most of us are pretty darn good at it.

In some places, especially out here on the Bar, a simple engine failure can become a serious distress in mere moments, determing what is a distress and what is a towing job is the purpose of the USCG SMC, this officer makes the decision whether to go or not, based on your location, weather, large ship traffic in the area and your own level of apprehension.

Be advised, if the coast guard does come tow you, you will probably get boarded and inspected once you get back to a safe harbor. A good reason to be very polite and appreciative to the guardsmen who come to get you. The nearest safe harbor may not be your home harbor and you still may need someone to tow you back home. The inspection process usually takes an hour or more and consists of having 3 or so 20-30 year old coasties climb all over your boat in black soled combat boots. 50% of the time a violation or two are found. (I listen in to the USCG radio frequencys that most folks are not aware of). The tickets are not cheap. Another reason to have a SeaTow membership.
The Link to the USCG Maritime SAR assistance policy is below. The interesting part starts on page 8 of the .pdf.

add "http" a colon, two backslashes and 3 w's to the beginning of the next line

.d1nr-bcqp.us/documents/MSAP.pdf (apparantly I do not have enough posts to post a link... what a pain...

I hope this helps you understand some of what happens when you have a problem on the water, I tried not to make it too much of a commercial for SeaTow, you be the judge. I do believe in the system though, for a measly $149/year, you are covered for most every thing that is likely to happen, its really the best deal in boating. My rate for non-members is $250/HOUR and the average tow is 2+ hours, you do the math.

Captain Ron Micjan
SeaTow Lower Columbia River

#22 ·
Posse Comitatus

AE28--
The Coast Guard has unique legal authority to enforce federal law while remaining a military service. The rise of maritime commercial assistance means that the CG will not assist unless there are lives at stake or commercial resources aren't available or are inadequate for the situation or conditions. Port security has always been a primary CG mission (one of a dozen or so) but now there are new, highly visible assets dedicated to that mission. The Coast Guard conitinues to be the best led and managed organization in the government and provides the US taxpayer tremendous bang for the buck.

CDR, USCG (ret)

#23 ·
AE28--
The Coast Guard has unique legal authority to enforce federal law while remaining a military service. The rise of maritime commercial assistance means that the CG will not assist unless there are lives at stake or commercial resources aren't available or are inadequate for the situation or conditions. Port security has always been a primary CG mission (one of a dozen or so) but now there are new, highly visible assets dedicated to that mission. The Coast Guard conitinues to be the best led and managed organization in the government and provides the US taxpayer tremendous bang for the buck.

CDR, USCG (ret)
I am truly impressed!!!

#28 · (Edited)
In the U.K the RNLI are brilliant we were once dismasted and they offered to help recover it if we thought it was plausable. i think its a much different system to what you have in the U.S and at risk of sounding contoversial a much better one. Not only will the RNLI rescue the person but they will attempt to salvage the vessel at no cost. All Coastal defence is caried out by the Royal Navy while the Coastgaurd are primarily SAR

Also all the crew (except the coxswain) are volunteers.

#30 ·
This is how the German Coast Guard responds....

(an oldie but a goodie)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.