Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2008

gtunison is on a distinguished road
Question local boat ramp or me?

Greetings,
Is getting a 24 foot fixed keel boat on a trailer usually:
easy
complicated
super hard
depends on ramp
?
does anyone know the trick to having the boat come out flat on the trailer?
our local lake has a ramp that is steep, short, and drops off right about where my wheels need to be making a slow easy pull out challenging even with two truck's. The first one spun all four wheels by itself. Well, actually only two; the front and back drives.
our hoist only lifts one ton.
I got the boat out with great effort and had to jack her off(ha-ha)the trailer and lower her down in better position to travel. Not fun.
Now i have to decide whether or not to put her back in close to home or farther and more expensively away. Not sure if we have any crane trucks around here in a reasonable price range.
Any advise will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by gtunison; 08-26-2008 at 11:51 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-27-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Sounds like your ramp is too short and steep to properly load the boat on to the trailer... either use a different ramp or expect to deal with the problems you're seeing. Physics makes expecting anything else unlikely.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 08-27-2008

Banshi is on a distinguished road
I have pulled out some fairly heavy boats with really underpowered 1/2 ton trucks on steep slippery ramps, is the weight of your boat properly distributed on the trailer? 10 to 15 % should be on the tongue. If your truck can handle it a little more would increase the traction, a limited slip rear end can help to with a little parking brake applied depending on what type of rear end (clutch limited slip) it is. A guide for the keel can help align the boat on the trailer as well.
Old 08-27-2008
I don't discuss my member

zz4gta is on a distinguished road
Check out Banshi's avatar, pvc piping to help line it up.
If you have a fixed keel, then its a huge PITA. My 4' draft only gets trailored when it absolutely has to. Otherwise, its sailed there, or hauled out/in. My trailer sits up so high, that I need about 7' of water at the end of the ramp. Almost impossible to find.
Old 08-27-2008

timebandit is on a distinguished road
I sounds as if your boat is trailerable but not launchable.

Best way on and off is with slings.

Rolling the trailer off the ramp is a very bad idea.

Rick
Old 08-28-2008
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough
Agreed. With a fixed-keeler of any not-inconsiderable size, it is far safer and easier to hoist on and off from the trailer rather than launch using a ramp - any ramp.

One pointer (maybe): Look for clubs in your area that race Etchells or Flying Fifteens and take your boat there - the only way to get these boats safely in and out of the water is by using a hoist.

Cameron

Last edited by Classic30; 08-28-2008 at 01:58 AM.