Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2008

devilfishlane is on a distinguished road
a boat for the Bahamas and the Carribean

I'm looking for a early 90's boat in the 32-36 range to take 2 -3 month trips. I want to spend around 50K for the boat and another 10 K for whatever it needs to cruise. What to you think about ---

Catalina 34 or 36

Hunter 34

Bene 34, 35, 36

maybe a Pearson or ??

Not too worried about speed. But prefer a nice cabin layout, diving , fishing and island hopping (waiting for nice weather windows aren't a problem)

2 adults and 1 child

Thank you
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-27-2008

devilfishlane is on a distinguished road
anyone????
Old 08-27-2008

PilotAlso is on a distinguished road
my advice - pick the one you like

Some will say you need a "bluewater" cruiser and nothing else is worthy.

Some will say go bigger, some will say go smaller, some will say multi-hull, yadda yadda, you get the picture.

Good reasons can be provided for any of the available choices just as each has drawbacks and negatives.

Find a boat you and your crew like and have at it. Who cares what others feel about your choice.

My wife and I picked up a very well kept Hunter 34 and we are tickled pink with the boat. Others dislike it and think it's a piece of junk. I can live with that. Our boat does everthing WE want!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and certainly is capable of doing the traveling you suggest.
Old 08-27-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Bahamas ....anything
Caribe...get something that will bash to windward without knocking your kidneys up to your tonsils.
You can do the trip to the Caribe in 1 or 2 day jumps but it is windward work and a boat with a lot of hull flex or one that slams coming off 6ft (minimum) seas to windward is DOABLE but will make you never want to do it again. Not so much build quality issue as a sailing quality issue.
In my view...the Pearson will be the best boat for the job but the least appealing interior and cockpit wise.
Old 08-28-2008

Croatia is on a distinguished road
Similar boats with similar price and quality. Hard to say ...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-28-2008

AlanBrown is on a distinguished road
Devil,

All of the boats you've listed can take you where you want to go. Perhaps you should now start focusing on the features you want your boat to have. Once decided upon, you can then start looking at your choices with a more critical eye.

For example, if I were out shopping for a boat right now to replace my Hunter 30, at a minimum I would look for the following:

Windless, step-down transom, second berth for guests (or child), refrigeration, comfortable cabin and cockpit seating, dodger and bimini, lots of storage, as big a water tank as I can find or a water-maker, ssb, roller furling jib (main if available), plenty of deck space, 4-5 ft draft, and something I can single hand easily. The list is almost endless and as you pound the docks looking at boats, you'll discover lots of stuff I've neglected to mention.

The point I'm trying to make is once you have a good idea what your ideal boat should encompass, you'll be better prepared to pull the trigger when you find the "right" one. Remember, don't buy any used boat without having it surveyed first.

Good luck!