Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2008

devilfishlane is on a distinguished road
Any Catalina 34 or 36 owners out there??

Im interested in either one for the Bahamas and possiblely the Caribbean. I'm looking at both, in the early 90's. Is there much difference between them, sailing wise? I think the layout on the 34 suits my tastes better, but the 36 seems very popular.

I would appreciate anyone with either one, to comment on their experiences, positive or negative

Thank you
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-29-2008

BigAssHam is on a distinguished road
You might want to post at Catalina Owners.com for owners sailing production sailboats.
Old 08-29-2008
Banned

tommyt is on a distinguished road
If you do some searches on this site you will find some discussions on exactly your subject.

The boats are very similar but different. Sailing characteristics are same. Cockpit is identical today, and I think as far back as both were built. You need to determine which salon and head placement you like best because as the end of the day that is the real difference. I won a 34 MKII, and love the 36 as well.

Both the 34 and the 36 have very active owners groups with lots of information on them. You could also join the online community and ask your question there.
Old 08-29-2008
the pointy end is the bow

erps will become famous soon enough erps will become famous soon enough
We owned a C-34 for three years and loved it. There is a C-34 owner named Randy on the C34IA website that sailed his in the Bahamas. He has it in the PNW now.

The Catalina 34 International Association
La Conner, WA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Boating for over 25 years, some of them successfully.
Old 08-29-2008
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
I would vote 36, but would try to find a way to get the MKII. Simply a perfect boat for that use.

- CD

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 08-30-2008

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
I owned a 36 and sailed many 34's & 36's before deciding on a 36 due to the way she sailed. While they are similar the 36 tends to drive through the waves and seas where the 34 really tended to bob on and over the tops. I actually prefer the layout of the 34 but like the sailing of the 36 better. If you can sail both in 20-25 knots and you'll see what I mean.

I vote 36 but the 34 has a slightly better owners association though both are excellent. I have also owned an 80's C-30 and a 2005 C-310 and the 36 is the best sailing of all three..!

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.