Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2008

sailhog has a spectacular aura about sailhog has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailortjk1 View Post
Can you pull it?
Is that a common practice down there?
Are you better off on the water or on the hard?
They aren't hauling boats here. I think it's a space issue.

The big question is whether or not the dock where I have my boat survives. I think the storm is predicted to make landfall (if it makes landfall here) at around 4-5 pm., which would put it at mid to low tide...

Get on your knees and pray for us!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-02-2008

Hanna is currently drifting SE at 2 kts toward Haiti. Wondering/hoping if this could knock more of the stuffing out of this storm... comments and opinions appreciated...
Old 09-02-2008

negrini is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to negrini Send a message via Yahoo to negrini Send a message via Skype™ to negrini
Hog, my boat is at Charleston right now, and just learned about Hanna yesterday night. I did call the marina (St Barts) and they offered to bring the boat up-river and land it. Very costly, but they say it will be safe on hard, as
they're located in the exposed harbor.

Hog, this is my first Hurricane ! ok ok I red magazines and books, but this will be my first real experience. I was there when Fey got close and we had a 35knots bouncing night, but safe. How is it ? Is my boat safer on the ground ? Is up-river a more protected spot ? Is it common people hauling boats ? Please, help me to get same calm you're !!!! I'm really nervous ....
Old 09-02-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
negrini...being on land and on well supported jackstands with all canvas stripped is proven to be safer than being in the water during hurricanes. BoatUS will help PAY for a haulout before a named storm since they believe it reduces their exposure to claims...and they hav the data.
That said...it is not clear that the storm will be much beyond Cat1 or where landfall will be likely. There is a GREAT deal of uncertainty in the forecasts this evening. Of course you can't wait for the last minute to decide, but I'd certainly not make any decision till tomorrow morning at least as this may turn out to be a non-event in Charleston. Good luck!
Old 09-02-2008

negrini is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to negrini Send a message via Yahoo to negrini Send a message via Skype™ to negrini
Well, this is a nice business, with a great compeling event !!! I had just few minutes to make decision as there is almost no room on yards. Anyway, I feel much beter if you say it could be safer there, although I feel a little silly, thinking it could not be that bad at all .... I'll not bet on it ! Any input appreciated. Thanks.
Old 09-02-2008

Negrini,
I'm far from calm about Hanna... Last night I was... it wasn't good. Anyway, as Cam suggested in his post, there's a great deal of uncertainty at the moment, and it never pays to wet your pants, which is what I did when I saw the cat 3 warnings last night. This forum is an invaluable resource for the inside scoop. If you have any questions as to where to park your boat, how to tie her down, etc., this is the place to ask. I can't say enough about Cam, so I'm not even going to try.

Good luck to you, Negrini. You'll be in my thoughts.
Old 09-02-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Well...thanks Hawg. Anyway...things are looking even more scattered at 11PM and Hannah's computer models are shifting north and east for landfall. Of course you and Charleston are still pretty well in the center of the target area but intensity still looks like category one..maybe 90mph. I don't really trust any of the projected tracks until Hannah getsup a head of steam and starts to move north sometime tomorrow. I think they will resolve better then. I'd till have my bags packed for Thursday Hawg...but think it is quite unlikely that damage will be severe.
Old 09-03-2008

The computer models have the predicted landfall moving further north and east. Good news for us in the Savannah area, but not such good news for Charleston to the SC/NC border.
Old 09-03-2008
moderate?

Hawg..the good news is the intensity prediction remains very low. But the error factor in landfall remains very wide. No northerly movement yet means that they really can't be sure just yet and landfall could be 3-400 miles off the projected hit in Charleston. Here's the Navy's map just for a change of pace.
Old 09-03-2008

Cam,
Looks like Hanna is going to be a hurricane for about 15 minutes before she makes landfall...