Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2008
I'd rather be sailing

labatt will become famous soon enough
Winter Storage Suggestions... CT/Long Island Sound?

For various reasons, we're looking to bring Pelican to the Long Island Sound at the end of September. We're hoping to find a slip for October and the beginning of November, and then have her hauled and stored for the Winter, and relaunched in the Spring. For those who haven't met her, she's a Passport 40 - let's call her 40' LOA. We're looking to be no more than 2.5 - 3 hours from Albany, NY. Does anyone know of a decent marina with REASONABLE rates for Winter storage? Near Stamford, CT would be preferable (Stamford, Norwalk, Fairfield, Bridgeport, etc.), but I believe we're looking at very high rates there. The New London area gets kind of far away, but if the price is right... Thoughts?
s/v "Pelican" Passport 40 #076- Finished Cruising - for the moment -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Don't dream your life, live your dream" - Bob Bitchin'
"I'll see it when I believe it" - Me

Last edited by labatt; 09-02-2008 at 02:02 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-02-2008

Brezzin is on a distinguished road
Depends on what you call "reasonable" Over the last 10 years winter storage rates have been small what they have done is begin to nickle and dime the owners. Example, poppet's were included in the haul. Now we have to rent them from the yard. It used to be that the mast down and up were in the same bill. Now they are charged separately, once for down and once for up. On my last haul out they charged me to remove the boom and vang. Never saw that before. I just noticed that if you have the yard winterize your motor then starting battery removal and storage is mandatory. I think the list goes on. As for places to look that I think are reasonable is Yankee Marina in Portland CT. Up the river and across from Middletown. A do it yourself yard ( cause the mechanics are power oriented )

Yankee Boat Yard Home Page

I have not used this yard in a long time but I know people who still do.
Besides the CT river is beautiful in the fall.
2007 Hunter 49
Old 09-02-2008

jimmalkin is on a distinguished road
I haul at Dutch Warf Boat Yard in Branford Connecticut. Owner is Paul Jacques. They have done fine work on my P50 and 30 years ago did fine work on my Hinckley Pilot. Small, family owned yard - good rates, great craftsmen if you need them. They will also haul and set up your boat and you can do as much or as little of the work that you wish. Branford is just East of New Haven - good access via road or train to New Haven.
203 483 8642. 70 Maple Street Branford, Ct. 06405 or email at:
dutch_wharf_yard@sbcglobal.net

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

White Rabbit
Vineyard Haven
Old 09-02-2008
I'd rather be sailing

Dave - I assume the CT River is navigable for a sailboat with a 54' clearance and 5'8" draft? Jim - I just dropped an e-mail to Dutch Wharf to get some pricing.

Anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks!
Old 09-02-2008

denby is a jewel in the rough denby is a jewel in the rough denby is a jewel in the rough denby is a jewel in the rough
Labatt,

Try Beacon Point Marina in Shelton CT. Up the Housitonic River. Come in with the tide and no problem. Last year was $45 per foot. If you end up there you can follow me up the river or I can come aboard as a pilot.

Also Milford Boat works in Milford Harbor is a good place and Brewer in Stratord. Both more money.

Be careful or i will do what the voices tell me to do

To get the most from Sailnet, follow the link in
's signature.

Hey stuffit "Get a life"
Old 09-02-2008

SCoffshore is on a distinguished road
Why take it out? Why not leave it in? In Stamford proper, to go out of the water your real only choice is brewers. You can leave in the water at Brewers, Avalon, or Harbor Square. Plenty of Liveaboards at Avalon and Brewers to keep eyes on your boat, but Harbor Square is way more protected than either.
Old 09-03-2008

Brezzin is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by labatt View Post
Dave - I assume the CT River is navigable for a sailboat with a 54' clearance and 5'8" draft? Jim - I just dropped an e-mail to Dutch Wharf to get some pricing.

Anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks!
Oh yea, The one fixed bridge is over route 95 with a 86' clearance. Two other Bridges exist a opening railroad in Saybrook and a swing bridge in Haddam. The river is one of the last rivers in America that is navigable and is not developed. The fall foliage is should you time it right is absolutely grand. as far as depth, no issue, they run coal barges up to Hartford a couple of times a week. During the winter the coast guard uses an ice breaker to keep the river clear for the barges. I've done it a few times in my last sailboat with a 5' draft and never had a concern.

I also think that Portland is inside your 3 hour travel window. I live in Bristol CT and can get to Albany in 2 hours heading west. Portland is 30 minutes east of me.
2007 Hunter 49
Old 09-06-2008

denby is a jewel in the rough denby is a jewel in the rough denby is a jewel in the rough denby is a jewel in the rough
Labatt,

Did you find a place for winter storage yet.

Be careful or i will do what the voices tell me to do

To get the most from Sailnet, follow the link in
's signature.

Hey stuffit "Get a life"
Old 09-09-2008
I'd rather be sailing

I think I might take Jim's suggestion and go to Dutch Wharf. They sound competent and seemed very interested in my business (i.e. gave me all the time I wanted on the phone). At $4.10 per sq. ft. the price isn't so bad either. The places closer to Stamford CT were hundreds of dollars more for the storage.

I can't recall if I've asked this question before - how bad are the winds on the sound during the storage season? Every place is recommending that I store with the mast down, and they all put surcharges on the storage price for storing with the mast up. On Champlain and in Annapolis, I never had anyone push to store with the mast down. I know it's safer to store it with the mast down, but is there a reason why they push so hard on the Long Island Sound to do it?
Old 09-09-2008

jimmalkin is on a distinguished road
I don't think LI Sound is more windy in Winter than Lake Champlain, but probably more than Annapolis. That being said, the issue - as you know - is safety. With the boat immovable in a cradle, the stress on the step and surounding areas is pretty unconventional (can be considerable) when the mast moves about in a stationary boat. I'm going to Dutch Warf on Thursday AM to go over some winter stuff and can push on the subject if you'd like. Send me a PM.

White Rabbit
Vineyard Haven

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.