Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2008

10011100 is on a distinguished road
Thats quite a story.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-03-2008
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10011100 View Post
Thats quite a story.
Yes, and it is all true too... except the part about him being a real man. He made that part up.

- CD

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 09-03-2008
Not So Senior Member

Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giulietta View Post
...... and then I got 5 Knockroaches...but that's another story...
Damn! The dreaded Knockroach strikes again! You have the worst luck with that. Maybe if you drank more of your own urine, or maybe some bulldog urine, you'd be alert enough to surf those 100 foot rogue waves all the way. to Siberia.
Old 09-03-2008
Special Delivery

speciald is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to speciald
People, not sailing people, always ask us where we stop at night; do we anchor? Two in the cockpit - is my rule. I but not two asleep. On long trips (12-1500 miles) I like to have 6 on board. that gives us each plenty of sleep and we always have a fresh crew for emergencies. For 2 or 3 day trips - my wife and I usually crew by ourselves with three hour rotations.
Old 09-03-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Giu's motto is "One hand for the boat the other for myself"

....But if you have trouble sleeping Giu....try counting sheep! BAAAAAAAA!!!

How can you sleep at night?-giusheep.jpg
Old 09-03-2008

Freesail99 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Freesail99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giulietta View Post
only Cams and wimps sleep at night in a crossing....real man (like me) don't sleep...

back in 1923 when I was crossing the atlantic East to west from new York to Frankfurt, via the Indic Ocean, on my wood ornamented rich, 5 foot thick Valliant hull built in 1845, with a over full keel and skeg hanging rudder, proudly spiking the sky with my 4 mast tripple decker double core plank on carbon fiber sloop ketch, with a hoyt rig on the port spreader, I spent 46 days without sleep.

Off course it help the fact i did not pay the Sears credit card bill and I knew they were going to cut my credit off, and that makes me lose my sleep....

But what kept me going was the thought of watching Oprah once again....once I hit the famous atlantic islands of Madagascar...

Having nothing to eat for 67 days and drinking my own urine, only because I like the taste, and making margaritas with the water from washing my socks, also helped in keeping awake....

Man once I landed..I slept a whole 3 hours...then moved on to my next trip, a cruise to Siberia, via Serbia, and then I got 5 Knockroaches...but that's another story...
Giu, is way to modest, he doesn't mention not showering for those 67 days at sea and that fact alone kept him awake and the other ships at bay. What a man, what a sailor.
Old 09-03-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Unfortunately, Knockroaches tend to breed on Gui's boats.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 09-03-2008
Arf!

pegasus1457 is on a distinguished road
I have often wondered ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
A lot depends on where you are. If you are in shipping lanes or close to land it is one thing...out of the lanes many single handers sleep for several hours at a time...check things...then go back to sleep. A radar alarm helps.
Does the radar paint an image of a 3/4 submerged container? I understand that some 10,000 of them (yes!) are lost from container ships each year.
And I bet they drift well away from the shipping lanes.

If you collide with a ship there is at last a chance that someone on the ship notices, but with a container .... it's adios, baby
Old 09-03-2008

eMKay is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by pegasus1457 View Post
Does the radar paint an image of a 3/4 submerged container? I understand that some 10,000 of them (yes!) are lost from container ships each year.

If you collide with a ship there is at last a chance that someone on the ship notices, but with a container .... it's adios, baby
Yeah, well. A life without risk is a life not worth living. You can hit a container wide awake or fast asleep. Or maybe aliens will pluck you right out of the sea, who's gonna know?

Technician, RCR Yachts Buffalo.
Old 09-03-2008
Ex Member

ste27 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by pegasus1457 View Post

Unless you have a full moon and glass seas, someone on watch won't see it either