Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2008
Special Delivery

speciald is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to speciald
A frequent problem in coastal travel is that two boats on reciprocal courses will set the sea buoys as their waypoints. About half way there, they run directly into each other. Set your waypoints a few hundred yards from the entrance buoys.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-04-2008

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
Got a good friend who has a remote joystick controlled spotlight mounted up on the bow pulpit of his 30' power boat. That seems to work pretty well.

I tend to set my waypoints to be near or between buoys, not on top of them. Only exception so far has been the spar buoys for the club's race course--those I set dead on.

Jim

Last edited by SEMIJim; 09-04-2008 at 08:44 AM.
Old 09-04-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by halekai36 View Post
Having tried them many times I can assure you they will destroy your night vision! I still have one on board for emergencies but not for general steaming. If you do use one you really need to get it out over the bow pulpit to avoid any deck reflections. Even then the glare off the water will still kill your night eyes.

I made a stowable "light bar" that I can zip tie to my bow pulpit and plug into my anchor locker. It has four amber colored fog lights mounted to it and it picks up lobster pots very easily. An item like this, or a 1,000,000,000,000,00 gazillion power spot light, should only be used in absolute necessity as it does not meet COLREGS.

Again, 1,000,000 candle power anything will ruin your night vision, which you need!

Just raced last night and sailed back to Portland Harbor in the pitch black. One crew guy brought a LED head lamp with no red lens! Every time he fired that damn thing up I lost lobster pots for a good 60-90 seconds before my eyes recovered. We have banned his headlamp from above deck use for the remainder of the fall series unless he gets a red lens for it...
The amber lights are a good compromise. I'm surprised you didn't pitch the guy overboard.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 09-04-2008

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
The amber lights are a good compromise. I'm surprised you didn't pitch the guy overboard.
We were already short two-three guys and running with only three. I still think we won our class but corrected time will tell. It was a short course and being almost 3/4 of a mile ahead at the finish I think should do it..

When he finally left it off for a few minutes he realized he could actually see what he was doing with out it but he had become night blind and was needing it every 30 seconds or so.

P.S. A Raymarine C-70 does not dim worth a darn & I wound up turning it off.. Funny how Datamarine & Ritchie could/can make stuff that does not destroy night vision but a Raymarine plotter can't? I had it on night mode and then dimmed all the way down and still it was too bright. The owner of the boat agreed that it needs a few more click on the "less back-light" side..

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Last edited by Maine Sail; 09-04-2008 at 08:58 AM.
Old 09-04-2008
Anything-Sailing Founder

ckgreenman will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to ckgreenman Send a message via MSN to ckgreenman Send a message via Yahoo to ckgreenman
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpm View Post
I just thought that setting a way point and missing it on purpose was a creative use for a GPS.
Not taking about normal navigation.
I use my GPS that way all the time. The lake we're on has a lot of shoals and other submerged towns..err hazards. I plug those in as land marks so I know where they are and can avoid them (or others can if their at the helm). Some of those were found the hard way. lol
Old 09-04-2008

davidpm is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Just raced last night and sailed back to Portland Harbor in the pitch black. One crew guy brought a LED head lamp with no red lens! Every time he fired that damn thing up I lost lobster pots for a good 60-90 seconds before my eyes recovered. We have banned his headlamp from above deck use for the remainder of the fall series unless he gets a red lens for it...
I just saw a "Myth Busters" and they claim that night vision is damaged for up to half an hour.

This website says you get back only 10% in 10 minutes and 30 to 45 min to get back 80%
Night Vision - The Red Myth
Old 09-04-2008

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpm View Post
I just saw a "Myth Busters" and they claim that night vision is damaged for up to half an hour.

This website says you get back only 10% in 10 minutes and 30 to 45 min to get back 80%
Night Vision - The Red Myth
Very interesting reading. For last night all I cared about was enough night vision recovery to see lobster pots and I had it in about a minute to a minute and a half. On an all night sail with no lights and no city lights in the distance and minimal moon my eyes take a long time to reach their best I never knew it could take that long though.

I think I'll still stick with red because it seems to have worked for me for over 25 years now. Perhaps blue green would be good too but it's tough finding blue/green lenses. Prior to red lenses we use oil lamps on a low setting and never looked directly at them....

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 09-04-2008
Thanks Courtney.

T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
A Raymarine C-70 does not dim worth a darn & I wound up turning it off.. Funny how Datamarine & Ritchie could/can make stuff that does not destroy night vision but a Raymarine plotter can't? I had it on night mode and then dimmed all the way down and still it was too bright. The owner of the boat agreed that it needs a few more click on the "less back-light" side..
I have the same problem with my Lowrance. Still looking for a fix.
Old 09-04-2008

artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice
Might want to try using a 1/4 inch red plexiglass over the display. If I recall correctly, while underway - that is what we did for instruments that did not have red backlighting.

Cut holes out at the top and bottom that you can use a small bungee cord to wrap around the display and make the plexiglass only as big as the screen...or go all out and use the faceplate as a template and cut out holes for all the buttons etc...to lay on top of the existing faceplate

In the Navy the only time we used red was under "Battle Stations" - I don't think it had much to do with night vision per se, as normal underway we used green lights (which are actually easier on the eyes and cause less strain.)...

S/V "
" -
1983, Barberis Show 38! or

Old 09-04-2008

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
Interesting. Our new Ritchie SR-2 compass

has a green LED. Wondering what that'll look like at night with a blue card with white lettering? (Won't find out for a while, as it's mast-mounted and there's no power for it up there, yet.)

Jim