Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2008

davidpm is on a distinguished road
What to report and how

Sailing in starlight I saw a piece of timber floating about the size of a phone pole and four feet long. Should I have reported it?
How?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-03-2008

artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpm View Post
Sailing in starlight I saw a piece of timber floating about the size of a phone pole and four feet long. Should I have reported it?
How?
You could call it in to the CG - but doubtful they would consider it a threat. Usually they are more concerned about deadheads (submerged objects that are moving relatively slow) or larger obstructions... So on Channel 16 hail the local coast guard station, mark gps location and report it... about all you can do...otherwise just avoid it... here in the PNW this is a common occurance and rarely reported...

S/V "
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -
1983, Barberis Show 38! or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 09-03-2008

Boasun will become famous soon enough Boasun will become famous soon enough
Just use your VHF and make a "Security" call giving the position of the Navigation hazard and the set & drift. It would be:
Security, Security, Security. This is the S/V Lollipop WAC 4506. Just passed a Nav hazard of a chunk of wood dimentions of 3 ft dia. 4 ft long in position of 32n and 87w with set & drift of 120 @ 1.5 kt. (give the data again and then bow out using correct radio procedures) But a chunk of wood that size is minor compared to a container drifting just at the water's surface. Now that would be a boat sinker.

Maritime Instructor

S/V Rapture
Old 09-03-2008
'72 Pearson 36

SVDistantStar is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to SVDistantStar
I was out in my skiff today and saw a railroad tie in the river floating. I slipped a line around it and towed it to the marsh. One less thing in the river.

1972 Pearson 36 S.V. Distant Star
Old 09-03-2008

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boasun View Post
.. with set & drift of 120 @ 1.5 kt.
1) What is "set?" 2) Couldn't the drift be highly variable, depending not only on current, but wind and, where applicable, tide? Other than consulting the charts, or keeping an eye an compass on it for a while and doing some fancy math, how would you determine the drift, anyway?

Jim
Old 09-04-2008

Slayer is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEMIJim View Post
1) What is "set?" Jim
Set is the direction towards which the current flows, given in degrees read of the compass,,,,drift is the speed or velocity of the current in knots.
Old 09-04-2008

davidpm is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boasun View Post
Just use your VHF and make a "Security" call giving the position of the Navigation hazard and the set & drift. It would be:
Security, Security, Security. This is the S/V Lollipop WAC 4506. Just passed a Nav hazard of a chunk of wood dimentions of 3 ft dia. 4 ft long in position of 32n and 87w with set & drift of 120 @ 1.5 kt. (give the data again and then bow out using correct radio procedures) But a chunk of wood that size is minor compared to a container drifting just at the water's surface. Now that would be a boat sinker.
Perfect, that is what I was looking for.
Don't want to sound like dork on the radio. "Duh looks like a log out hear you guys should miss it."
Old 09-04-2008

Sailormon6 will become famous soon enough
As Distant Star suggested, why not either take it onboard or tie a line to it and tow it to your destination where you can dispose of it? It probably won't slow you any more than towing a dinghy. If you just call the coasties and leave it there, you know they're not likely to send anyone there to get it. In that case, the radio notification to the coasties might make you feel like you've "done your duty," but the hazard to navigation still remains. I'd much rather remove the hazard, so that I won't have to hear of some sailor or power boater or pwc'er who hit a log at speed.
Old 09-04-2008
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
I've sailed past trees, yes, whole trees when the wind is up out here. Not much you can do with a 40' tree and a root span of some 15' in 50 knots and seas to match except dodge it.