Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2008

Coreyboy18 is on a distinguished road
Talking I made it through my first hurricane!

Well I bought my boat about six months ago and just survived Hurricane Gustav! I tied the boat up well, and didn't have any problems. I noticed a little bit of chafing on one line, but that was about it. I also had about two inches of water, but turned the bilge on and pumped that out. I am going to try and take my boat out of the water for the winter to do some work to it (rewire electrical, install bigger battery bank, repaint the deck, etc), and hopefully before these other storms have an opportunity to come my way.

Main reason of the post was to say thanks to everyone who contributed to the Hurricane post and said the many different ways they tie their boats up, and what they do to protect it from wind, water and tide. I decided to spider the lines from smallest diameter lines to larger diameter lines and it really worked. The boat didn't touch the dock and all lines stayed in tact. Anyway, thanks for all of the info. It came in very useful for my first time!

Lake Pontchartrain and beyond (hopefully)
1978 Ranger 23
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-03-2008

artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice
Congrats Corey! Best wishes!

S/V "
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -
1983, Barberis Show 38! or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 09-03-2008

sailhog has a spectacular aura about sailhog has a spectacular aura about
Corey,
You're a good captain! I know what you're talking about when you have access to good advice. It's simply invaluable when you're unsure of your own analysis, which is my case on HHI. Folks on this forum took the time and trouble to contact me to point out when things looked as grim as I thought they did, and to point out when conditions were improving. It gives you confidence in your decision making process, and there are a great deal of decisions that have to be made. I'd like to thank Cam, Sway and Sapper. They are good men and fine captains.
Old 09-03-2008

Coreyboy18 is on a distinguished road
Well, I was very excited to get to my boat and see that she made it. We experienced between a 6-10ft surge, so I was really unsure how to allow for the rise in water while still accommodating the lower levels. The posts were very detailed at times and really helped. I can't really begin to describe the feeling of walking (actually started running as I got closer) down the pier to my slip to see my baby waving at me and wondering where I've been...a truly adrenaline filled reunion!

Lake Pontchartrain and beyond (hopefully)
1978 Ranger 23
Old 09-04-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Well done Corey! Looks like I get to play in the rain and wind next!
Old 09-04-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Tag Cam, you're it. Be a few days before it gets up to here.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 09-04-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Yeah..well I am expecting TS force winds here but our problem is the water rise and exposure to the south and southeast. If Hannah hits around Wilmington as predicted we are gonna have a lot of wind from those quadrants and that will push a lot of water into the harbor as well as provid a lot of fetch for thewave action. Thank goodness my boat is on the hard and in Annapolis but we have 49 others here to take care of. Got my foulies and waders ready!
Old 09-04-2008

sailhog has a spectacular aura about sailhog has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
Yeah..well I am expecting TS force winds here but our problem is the water rise and exposure to the south and southeast. If Hannah hits around Wilmington as predicted we are gonna have a lot of wind from those quadrants and that will push a lot of water into the harbor as well as provid a lot of fetch for thewave action. Thank goodness my boat is on the hard and in Annapolis but we have 49 others here to take care of. Got my foulies and waders ready!
It's all about wind direction at our marina. It can blow out of the NE, E and SE all it wants and everything is fine. SW is a totally different story... We had two small whalers sink in 30 kt winds last spring. The fetch built up, pooped the cockpits, which only got worse as their waterlines at the sterns slowly dipped into Skull Creek. If the owners had turned their boats around with the bow facing the threat, the boats would have been fine.
Old 09-04-2008
Banned

WaterView is on a distinguished road
That's great you made out OK Corey, I bet you had more than a sick feeling when it was getting close.
Cam, it does look like menacing weather coming, and maybe one or two after Hanna. I hate Hurricanes even though I'm outside of Richmond, VA and Isabel crushed us over 100 miles from the coast. Many downed tress and power out from 4 to 10 days.
The Cabana I stayed in the week before Isabel hit in Hatteras was washed away close to the "new inlet' it made between Hatteras and Frisco.
Batten down the hatches and keep us posted.
Old 09-04-2008
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Glad you made it through Corey!

- CD

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook: