Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2008
STARBOARD!!

KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
I'm not saying that ramming him would have been better...just pointing out that under COLREGS, you may have been considered a power vessel at the time, and if you had hit him thinking that they were the give way vessel, you might be found at fault. Yes, I know that avoiding a collision is the primary responsibility, but wanted to point out the possible consequences of having the engine running.
As I said before; It would not matter much if I had my engine on or off; we were on a close reach and could not just come to a dead stop and wait for these guys to go by. First I spilled the sail and tried to give room; with knowledge that I could not turn to windward because it would be too shallow (breakwater to port; with shoaling). When that was not enough I hit reverse as they crossed our bow. Again, glad it was immediately available because if the engine were off there would have been a gash in that shiny powder blue hull. If I just cut my engine off when the main goes up now I have to sail in a restricted channel for over 1 mile until we are in open water; with regular tug traffic and occasional cargo ships/tankers. I'd rather leave it on and be sure that I can make an emergency maneuver etc. if needed. I understand what you are saying but to me safety and collision avoidance is a primary concern over power v sail privilege.

We were in a limited draft situation; if collision were imminent I would turn to port but the point I am making is that the Moore could have turned down a bit; gained some boat speed and then crossed our bow if they were that intent on crossing. To just say "we're leeward and have right-of-way" based on your position really is not enough sometimes. Consider where you are relative to other boats who may have a higher draft; the Inland Nav Rules also have a rule regarding draft in restricted depth which supersedes the sailing vs. power rule.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-09-2008
I don't discuss my member

zz4gta is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by US27inKS View Post
If it matters, from the time he tacked at the mark until well after he hit me we were both on starboard tack.
both on starboard would mean the boat to windward needs to keep clear.
Old 09-09-2008

gypsywomen is on a distinguished road
We took lessons this summer so I will tell you what we were told in class...

1. Avoid collision no matter who has ROW

2. sail has ROW over power

3. Starburt over port

4. leeward over windward

5. if you are being overtaken, the boat who is being overtaken has ROW
Old 09-09-2008
Midwest Puddle Pirate

US27inKS has a spectacular aura about US27inKS has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4gta View Post
I'm confused. So who has rights...

1: leeward on a port tack
2: windward on a starboard tack?
Starboard has rights when racing.

A good example happened to me several times during the same race. If I'm on starboard but slightly upwind of another boat who is on port, and we are on a collision course, he must alter course to miss me. By slightly downwind, I mean just enough so that he would hit my stern instead of our stem fittings hitting first.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
John USYacht 27 "Cora Lee"

Last edited by US27inKS; 09-09-2008 at 02:47 PM.
Old 09-09-2008
Midwest Puddle Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4gta View Post
both on starboard would mean the boat to windward needs to keep clear.
But could he be considered an overtaking vessel?

Like I said, it doesn't matter at this point, but it would be nice to know in the future.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-09-2008
NON member

AE28 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by US27inKS View Post
But could he be considered an overtaking vessel?
Quoting from Maine Sail's post #43:
b)A vessel shall be deemed to be overtaking when coming up with a another vessel from a direction more than 22.5 degrees abaft her beam, that is, in such a position with reference to the vessel she is overtaking, that at night she would be able to see only the sternlight of that vessel but neither of her sidelights.
Old 09-09-2008
Midwest Puddle Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by AE28 View Post
Quoting from Maine Sail's post #43:
b)A vessel shall be deemed to be overtaking when coming up with a another vessel from a direction more than 22.5 degrees abaft her beam, that is, in such a position with reference to the vessel she is overtaking, that at night she would be able to see only the sternlight of that vessel but neither of her sidelights.
Got it, Thanks.

I knew I should have made him take the 720 while he was willing to accept responsibility.

Old 09-09-2008
STARBOARD!!

KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough
Wow; I can't believe how much confusion there is on this thread; I need to be more careful, with all you guys out there it's safe to assume that nobody knows "the rules".

gypsywomen-

Those are the most basic rules; there are many exceptions to them which should be known. I suggest you get a copy of the COLREGS and inland rules (A book published by the USCG) if you want to know everything. Please don't "enforce" the rules as you know them; and try to give everyone a wide berth to avoid collision.

One important rule to remember is that if you are in reduced visibility; Sailing rules no longer apply. Rules of power boats take precedence and if you encounter another boat in crossing both boats must turn to starboard to avoid collision and cross port-port (do not cross the bow of the other boat).
Old 09-09-2008

northbay is on a distinguished road
All this is well said and well intentioned. However, when the regs are taken into consideration they are basiclly applied to two vessels. But on a typical weekend on most bodies of water signaling ones intention would be chaos...
don't you think? Other then just a just a simple shout, when needed, "starboard", "leeward". As to the powerboat issue I'm open for suggestion as most would not know why you're blowing a horn!
Old 09-09-2008
NON member

AE28 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsywomen View Post
We took lessons this summer so I will tell you what we were told in class...

1. Avoid collision no matter who has ROW

2. sail has ROW over power

3. Starburt over port

4. leeward over windward

5. if you are being overtaken, the boat who is being overtaken has ROW
In my opinion, this is the most accurate and comprehensive posting on this subject on this entire thread. There are undoubtedly more "rules", but if you follow these, you'll be well ahead of most of your fellow boaters.