SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Nervous in New Bedford

1K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  sailingdog 
#1 ·
I have a E35 moored in New Bedford (MA) harbor and I'm getting more concerned as Hanna moves up the coast. The latest predictions are sustained 40kts with higher gusts. I have a braided double pendant with chafe protection on a hefty mooring. I plan on taking the sails and dodger off this afternoon. I was planning on staying on the boat but on second thought will stay in a motel instead. Does anybody have any other suggestions that might be helpful?

Thanks

#2 ·
Haul it

If you're really concerned, have it hauled. Cost you about $500. If you don't haul it, you should be fine if you remove all of the windage stuff. Sails, boom, bimini's etc. Make sure lines are are good to your mooring and you have chaffe protection. 50kt winds are not specifcally high.

The storm is supposedly quick moving, so it should be in and out real in a few hours. I am not too concerned, but I am heading to my boat tonight and removing the sails and boom.

DrB

#4 ·
I wouldn't hesitate to add a 3rd mooring line. Probably overkill but it will give a little piece of mind during the height of the storm. I have 2 on my boat all the time. One to the bow eye (carries the load) and a second safety line to my bow deck cleat. I'll add a third to my other bow deck cleat for the storm.

#5 ·
Instead of backing up the mooring pendant with another line, back it up with a piece of chain through the mooring ball eye and put a piece of bungee cord on the chain to act as shock absorption. If you need a hand, I'll be down in New Bedford/Fairhaven most of this weekend.

#7 ·
Max-on-

I didn't say I wouldn't be sailing... I just said I'd be in the area... :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.