SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   cost of sailing (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/46812-cost-sailing.html)

hillbillybear 09-05-2008 11:27 PM

cost of sailing

I've read a few articles that describe in detail the cost of sailing. I especially like the article from Sue and Larry on sailnet. But the costs they estimate are for a larger boat. What about the costs of coastal cruising in a smaller boat such as a Welsford Pathfinder? Are the costs that much different to step up to something with a nice cabin such as a Balboa 23? I know some of the costs Sue describes can be avoided, especially things such as eating out. Is the cost of sails that much more from the Pathfinder to the Balboa? What about things like bottom paint. What expenses do you incur while cruising for a month or more? What costs can you cut? I know, I know. I can hear some folks now. What kind of sailing do I do, or want to do? The type of sailing I would like to do is related directly to the costs incurred. In other words, if I'm not sure I can afford it, I won't do it. I'd like to sail around the world and never have to work again. I imagine I'll end up cruising for a while and substitute teach as we go up and down the coast. I also imagine I'll have to come home every now and then to take care of other thngs, like the grass. I have no desire to get a boat bigger than 23 feet.

sailingdog 09-05-2008 11:44 PM

hillbillybear-

given your post and apparent mindset, i'd say you should look at this website.

Robby Barlow 09-06-2008 11:51 AM

hbb, even today there are people out there cruising on $1 a day. Whether you can adjust to cruising on your budget, mainly depends on your abilities to make due, and also in part on where you're gonna be. Basically, where there is a will - there is a way!

CrazyRu 09-06-2008 01:07 PM

microcruising

Here is another good resource
Microcruising in the Bahamas
I have sailed 2000 miles in 3 months spending just over $1000 with $500 on fuel and booze.
It is just another set of mind. You will need to prepare and simplify your boat, be ready to fix about everything by yourself. Be a little scavenger and think outside the box. Actually, hardest part is leaving security of the home. "Out there" isn't all that hard or difficult. It's surprised me how little one person actually needs.
Good luck!
Vlad

Boasun 09-06-2008 03:07 PM

1. Difference between a power vessel and a sailing vessel
a. A power vessel takes lots of dollars, for fuel, to go any great distance, plus cooking, food and maintenance costs
b. A sailing vessel can use the wind and go the same distance for very little, just on the fuel used for cooking, food and maintenance costs.

So you are looking at the cost of food and the means to cook the food. Then you have the maintenance & upkeep on top of it.

Oh! Include the maintenance of the significant other if you have one on board :p

tamas52 09-06-2008 03:15 PM

I'm not sure I can afford it, I won't do it

well to many NO, to many predetermined why not do it in your post , dear
Hill billy bear..
seems like to me you looking for some one who will talk you out of the all idea..

OK .. don't go , don't explore, don't push your limit, don't even attempt!

or , just cast off, push your limits, find the way, learn to fix things,learn to enjoy, and just go .. if you looking for a belt- suspender life, then you never , "go around the world"
not even go around your local lake .. it has nothing to do with a cost of paint, provision, or any other "influences" .All has to do with you ..

"Ta ta" for now

Boasun 09-06-2008 04:22 PM

What tamas52 said has a great deal of truth in it.
Get the boat you want and if you've never sailed before then acquire a mentor or use many of the sailing schools that abound around these states.

hillbillybear 09-06-2008 04:35 PM

Not quite sure what you meant in the first sentence of your response, Tamas. It was kinda rambling.
As far as looking for someone to talk me out of the idea, hardly. As matter of fact, I have been gathering information from good folks on sailing sites all along. I also use information I learn from sources such as Whiteblaze and the Appalachian Trail Conference to aid me in things I would really need to take on a coastal cruise in a small boat, such as a Pathfinder. Some of the things I have suggested that I would be able to do in such a small boat have seems ridiculous to many folks, and downright dangerous to others on the sites I inhibit. I have a nice boat picked out. I really like the Welsford Sundowner. But I cannot afford it, nor do I have the skills to build it. I have looked at other craft as well. I like the Balboa 23's, as well as the Marshall Sanderling. In all likelyhood, I will end up with something very used that will need to have some work done on it. I've looked at Potters as well. But they keep drifting further and further away as I keep hearing many negatives about them. At times I'm not sure what boat I would like to go away on. I have checked with the Cave Run Sailing Association in Morehead, KY about lessons, which we will be taking next spring. I have ideas what I would like to do. As well, since I have a real desire to sail and since I am so low on funds and since I have no skills to build, some of the guys at woodenboat.com recommended that I try the simplicityboats.com site and build one of there boats. That I will. Looking for someone to talk me out of learning to sail and to set off on a dream. No thanks.

sailingdog 09-06-2008 06:57 PM

You should look at the Compac line of boats... they have some very good small boats in the <25' range, as does West Wight Potter.

tamas52 09-06-2008 08:46 PM

It was kinda rambling.

sorry to hear my post was rambling to you .. perhaps you missed my point ( and I'm sure due to my short coming not to get what I wrote),
being new to sailing as you say you are sure feel to me you have way to many boxes all ready set up for your self , preconditions galore ..
don't worry about what size , what make , what kind a rig, or brand, just get on with it all ready .... when you have experienced different vessels, different hulls, sails, rigs , THEN you might find the right one .. way to soon to make so much pragmatic statements..

GO Sailing ..small, big , just go