Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2008
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
Yep, that's how skeeters hunt. They look for CO2 exhalations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-12-2008

RENITA is on a distinguished road
Dry Ice

Dry ice is solid carbon dioxide. It is commonly used as a versatile cooling agent.If the Dry Ice is placed on top of the food, it will work better. Many people prefer to keep the Dry Ice on the bottom of the ice chest for convenience. When packing items in the container fill the empty space with wadded newspaper or other filler. Any "dead air space" will cause the Dry Ice to sublimate faster. The best storage container is a three inch thick urethane insulated box. Lining the inside of your ice chest with sheets of Styrofoam will increase the life of Dry Ice. Dry Ice sublimation will vary depending on the temperature, air pressure and thickness of insulation. The more Dry Ice you have stored in the container, the longer it will last.
-------------------------
RENITA
Old 09-12-2008

johnshasteen is on a distinguished road
For many years we've used dry ice on long trips - we've used it on the Galveston to Vera Cruz race (700 miles each way) and other long trips across or down the Gulf (Paloma has one refrigerator which we use as an icebox on long trips - saves the batteries, and two hi-tech coolers that fit nicely in the cockpit). The amount of CO2 from five pounds or so of dry ice is negligible on a sail boat with the companionway and maybe a hatch open. We've found that the combo of dry ice and regular ice will last as long as a week at sea. The only issue I've seen is that if you have grapes in the cooler, it will carbonate them - gives them an interesting, zesty taste.
s/v Paloma, Bristol 29.9, #141
Slipped in Bahia Marina, easy access to Corpus Christi Bay and the Gulf of Mexico.
Old 09-12-2008

Boasun will become famous soon enough Boasun will become famous soon enough
Carbonated Grapes?? Zesty?? A New dessert source?? Wow!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Maritime Instructor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Rapture
Old 09-12-2008
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
I completely dissagree with ANYONE that says 5 lbs of dry ice will have any kind of effect on the sailboat.

First of all, most of it is frozen and will only be released at a slow rate. Sailboats, (not even Catalinas) are air-tight. I honestly cannot imagine the quantities of dry ice it would take to have an effect on anyone. We use it and have used it more times than I can count.

What we do is wrap it in many layers of news paper. We tear holes in the paper to regulate the release of the cold. It is great on long runs, especially when sailing, as it will really limit your refrigerator running and subsequently batteries. Be cautious as it will freeze solid anything around it.

THe biggest hazard with dry ice is it burning you or freezine something solid you do not want frozen (read: glass bottles or milk, etc). DO not worry about not being able to breathe unless you lock yourself in the cooler. Honestly. Used it for a very long time.

- CD

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 09-12-2008

mman30 is on a distinguished road
Dry Ice

Thank you everyone for all of the sound advice. I am using it in small quantities.
Old 09-13-2008
Arf!

pegasus1457 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mman30 View Post
I have been planning a 6 month cruise from the Chesapeake down South for the past three years. There are only a few last minute preparations before I leave at the end of Oct. One of those issues are my ice box, and prolonging my block ice. Has anyone used dry ice blocks (1 small block), along with block wet-ice, layer of cardboard(or insulating material) then properly stored food above that. My ice box does drain to the bilge, and I am aware that the dry ice gas can suck out oxygen. I am planning on rigging a pump to drain excess water out of the ice box, and overboard via a thru-hull draining grey water from galley sink.. The boat is 30', and I don't want to do anything dangerous. Any advice on using dry ice, or retrofitting a 35 year old icebox to prolong the ice. I am also aware of not opening closing to often, pack most used on top, and least used on bottom, etc. But what are the dry ice possibilities?
To give you some perspective -- several years ago I wanted to bring a friend living in France some aged Angus beef and wanted to pack it in dry ice to carry on a commercial airline. Asked the airline: no problem -- the limit was 1 kilo per passenger!

And at altitude I don't believe there is a source of fresh air.
Remember, every time you exhale you are filling your cabin with a lungful of CO2

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.