Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2008

EdHouston is on a distinguished road
New Sails

Has anyone used "Fareast sails aka Hong Kong sails" if so what experiances have you had with the service, sails etc.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-07-2008

bluwateronly is on a distinguished road
Hello Ed, I would suggest to put out the extra dough and get a local sailmaker to make your sails. You will get a much better sail and service. I understand looking to try to save some money, I am a craigslist and ebay fan but, not on your canvass. Just my 2 cents worth
Old 09-07-2008

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
On the other hand, I just got a UK Tapedrive deliver within the last 30 days, guess where it was made? Yep, Hong Kong! Or somewhere near theres abouts! Not too many sails are actually being made here in the US/NA area any more. The big lofts have stuff subbed out etc Altho the North 3DL IRRC are being made in Arizona, otherwise, all there stuff is made in Hong Kong or equal.

With that in mind, it is nice to have a local measure etc, if it is screwed up, it is there issue. If you measure or go off the std sizes, this could be an issue, unless you have something super popular like a Catalina/Hunter etc.

marty
Old 09-07-2008

SJ34 is on a distinguished road
My new Elliot/Pattison "Load Path" jib was laminated in Fall River, MA and finished at the E/P loft in CA.

I am a bargain shopper as well, but I will get the best price I can on the best equipment I can afford. I try not to compromise on quality.
For instance, I would rather have a well designed dacron sail than a poorly made racing laminate. Just my .02
Old 09-07-2008

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
I'll add my voice to the vote for the local sail loft.

The local North Sails loft fixed up our mildly-broken main and added floppy rings (for reefing) for a very modest price and did it in no time at all. Plus they went over the sail thoroughly to see if it needed any other attention. They added telltales to the sail at no extra charge. Then, when I noticed the sail tie they'd thrown around the sail before putting it in its bag, and asked 'em "how much for those?," they gave me a bunch more. (They make 'em in their spare time, I guess, at the loft.) I now have enough sail ties to tie up the flaked main and for each of our five headsails, plus a spare .

You're not going to get that kind of hands-on attention from some anonymous place over in the Far East, I'd wager.

Jim
Old 09-07-2008
Cruiser/Lats and Atts TV

Moonfish is on a distinguished road
The next suite of sails I buy (hopefully within 2 years) will be from Mack Sails in FL. Even though they are halfway across the country, they are the only sailmaker that I have never heard a complaint against. That, and in agreement with previous posts, having some anonymous, faceless company in another country halfway around the world to deal with potential screw ups I would not look forward to. I have enough of that BS dealing with AT&T, CenturyTel, DirecTV, US Bank, etc., and they are supposedly in this country! (Except when talking to a nice, courteous fellow from India named Larry :-)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Always approach the dock at the speed you wish to hit it."
s/v VENUS
1978 North Sea 33 Pilothouse Cutter (Ta Chiao)

Old 09-07-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I'd third the local sail loft. You'll often get far better service from one, and if you have a problem, it is far easier to get a proper resolution if they're local.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 11-09-2008

OurTime111 is on a distinguished road
Does anyone have an idea of the durability of 3DL sails v. Kevalr/carbon sails?
Old 11-09-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Ed...unless you have something special that you need I am gonna disagree with most of those here and say...get the best price for similar quality. For a Pearson26 standard cruising outfit...there's no good reason to pay a lot extra over proven ON-LINE sailmakers. You might try pricing out what you need right here on FX sails from sailnet they have an auto quote system. HongKong has been in business for a long time and has a good rep too.

I bought my genny on line from New Zealand..cause at the time the exchange rate was great and the guy had a good reputation. I bought my mainsail from a local Quantum loft becuse it was for a roller furling boom and precision and fitting were required. Pay for the level of service and performance you need.
Old 11-10-2008

nightowle is on a distinguished road
I second Cams suggestion if you only need a 'standard' cruising sail. Recently, I bought a Rolly Tasker main that is made in Thailand. I got it through the Sail Warehouse in CA, but there are lots of distributors for this brand through the US. I'm very happy with my main, both quality and price. Hopefully, you're still in the market. I see that your post is originally from back in September
Seattle, WA

“Navigare necesse est, vivere non est necesse” To Sail is vital, to live is not.