Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2008

Survivor is on a distinguished road
Difficulty in coming about

I sail on the Columbia River about 35 miles north of Portland, OR. It's fairly narrow there so there's lots of coming about. I recently bought a Lancer 25 and haven't sailed for about 4 years on boats that were larger and smaller but never had a real problem before. I understand that because of the 3/4 lenght shoal draft keel that it doesn't point as well but maybe I'm doing something wrong when it coems to coming about.

I point as high as I can and get as much speed as I can, hard over on the tiller and don't pull the jib over until it backwinds. The problem is, it's a bear to get it to backwind. most of the time I go into irons and have to wear ship (go all the way around) in order to bring the sails to the other side.

Any info or help in what I'm doing wrong would be greatly appreciated.

Harris
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-07-2008

btrayfors will become famous soon enough btrayfors will become famous soon enough
Harris,

Most likely, your problem is boat speed....i.e., lack of sufficient boat speed.

Instead of "pointing as high as you can", the preferred way for many boats is to fall off a bit to ensure that your sails are full and gain maximum boat speed. In very light airs, you may have to fall off quite a bit to do this.

Bill
Old 09-07-2008
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
I second that advice.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-07-2008
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Harris, what kind of boatspeed and wind speed are you talking about?

I don't know the Lancer but rig tuning (proper mast rake and spreader length) can also make a big difference in pointing ability on any boat. As will sail trim & condition, of course.
Old 09-07-2008

Freesail99 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Freesail99
I'm sure that river currents are a factor also. They are on the Delaware.
Old 09-07-2008

fullkeel7 is on a distinguished road
Hey Harris, You may just need some more bonding with the new boat....BTW, congrats on the boat.

First, it sounds like you may be sailing a little close to the wind just before a tack. Just before you tack, fall off the wind just a tad to build more speed. Your tiller movement should be smooth but not too quickly as to stall the rudder thus slowing the boat. You might also try easing or loosing the leeward jib/genoa sheet as the sail starts to luff during the tack and when it reaches the center line of the boat, go ahead and help it cross by sheeting in the new leeward sheet. Might help to pull the bow through the tack sooner by getting it to draw a little quicker.

Another consideration is the sails themselves. Sails that have too deep of a pocket(blown out), are not going to be very efficient upwind thus giving up the power and speed needed to get you through the tack.

My appologies if I've over simplified...and enjoy the new boat.

Bob
Old 09-07-2008
Cruiser/Lats and Atts TV

Moonfish is on a distinguished road
I learned to sail on the Columbia at Portland in a Newport 28. Typically coming about was no problem (it was a fin keel). On my Gulf 40, with a cutaway full keel, when I was hard on the wind I would loosen the reigns a bit and crack off a little just to pick up more speed - then tack.

"Always approach the dock at the speed you wish to hit it."
s/v VENUS
1978 North Sea 33 Pilothouse Cutter (Ta Chiao)

Old 09-07-2008
Seinor Member

capn_dave is on a distinguished road
Cool Ahoy Moonfish

You mentioned you were throwing the rudder hard over. Don't do that either. When the rudder is all the way over it acts like a brake. Sure the boat will turn, but slow down fast.
Try to go easy with the tiller and everything else the crew told ya.,

Fair Winds
Cap'n Dave
Old 09-07-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I'd second getting the boat speed up by falling off a bit, since you need the momentum to carry you through the eye of the wind. I'd also second the idea that you need to turn more smoothly, since you don't want the rudder killing what momentum you've gotten built up.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 09-09-2008
Lifelong Sailor

jtull7 is on a distinguished road
I agree with bratfors.