Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2008
Optimist,a small big boat

OPTIMANIA has a spectacular aura about OPTIMANIA has a spectacular aura about
My results in the nationals

Hello to all.

I finished the national Championship in the 62nd position. We were 140 kids from all of the country.
My club was 8th in team championship, from 16 teams. I am not happy, but I am not sad either.

I had a very good time, we lived 4 days doing what we wanted to do, (no parents), we ate what we wanted, and almost didnít see the parents. We also met a lot of girls.

We stayed in a nice hotel with swimming pool and all the food you can eat buffets.

I know I could be better, but this year the IODA committee allowed the older more experienced kids from the A and B levels (I am now starting in the B level for the next season), to compete with us.

Also our coach could not come so we were taken by the Club Director and Master coach. He is very hard, but very good. He says we are lazy

They did this so the city can receive more sailors and make the event bigger, which was good because I met a lot of kids my age and we played a lot. They also allowed them in with us because of the distance we needed to travel, 400 km, so we donít have to return later.

Because some of the A and B sailors have raced in the European and World cups, they are also more experienced and won most of the best places. But I learnt a lot from them, and saw how they sailed.

Another thing that did not help was the place of the races. The races were held in the mouth of a river not in the ocean, and that river mouth had big currents, and I was lost at first because I don't know much about sailing in strong currents, and spent the first 2 races tacking and sailing backwards. My experience is in the ocean. So I think I learnt a lot.

If we remove the A and B sailors, I would have made between 6th and 10th overall so I am very happy also. But I was happy all of the 4 days.
I also used my new boat for the first time, and am not very used to it, because it is very responsive and rolls easy. I also need to learn the adjustments for the boom-jack, stick, clew rake etc. because this boat is different. I like it.

I won 2 T-shirts and candies, and a Diploma for finishing a National Championship and padded sailing shorts and a set ofwater bailers. This was my last race in the juveniles.

On September 20th I start in the B level, so now I can not play anymore. We are only 6 racing for CNL in the B, so we need to be serious now. But we can eat pizzas and candy also.

My mom and my dad and Luis were there all of the 4 days, but they were always partying with the parents of my best friends, so I did not see them a lot. My dad screamed from the land, between races, every time I made mistakes, but he was too far away. One day i saw them riding pedal cars along the river, with Luis. ...everyday I saw dad and mom between 11 am and 12:30, before going to the water, then at 4 pm, when we returned, that was it.

We had many parties and a lot of fun, I loved every minute of it and can't wait for the one next year.!! I was so happy.

We had 7 races total. 6 for score, and one as a courtesy for the town that received us with no score.

Of the 6 races we only scored the best 5.

My results were 36,17,26,39,35, 38 and one was discarded. We raced in 2 groups of 68. Odds and even numbers.

We had 2 races on Friday, under rain all day. 3 races on Saturday in good weather and 2 races on Sunday.

Here are some photos, hope you like to see.

(post corrected by my dad).

This is the CNL sailors. 2 are from the B level, me and the other 3 are ex Juveniles. You can see my new boat ther with the cover.

140 boats, its a lot of boats. This was before the first race on Friday. We were still learning, and the place it was a kaos.

Then after the rain we went to the water. all at the same time!

This is me

Can you see me here?

My new boat is very pretty

Here I adjust the boom jack, as you can see we need to go forward like in the big boats.

Here I receive instructions from the Head coach

140 boats in the water is a lot, and requires many skills just not to hit or get hit.

Getting ready for the start.

This is one of the starts, I started all of the races very well, but no matter how hard I tried, I could not keep up with the fast kids.

This is the fleet going downriver to the mouth of the river. The current was very strong, and the wind not very strong.

This is us on day 2, and that is the head coach.

This is my best friend Tomas.

Here we go for the second day.

Miguel is also my best friend. I like my friends a lot.

And this is mum, dad and Luis with me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-09-2008
Detachable member

wchevron is on a distinguished road
congratulations. sounds like you had a fun time which is what it is all about. keep at it and the wins will come.
Old 09-09-2008
Salty Dog

Saildoggie is on a distinguished road
HEY, CHALK IT UP AS A GREAT EXPERIENCE FOR A YOUNG RACER!!!

I have been racing and cruising for over 35 years (got a late start) and still learn a little something every time we raise a sail!!

You are a very fortunate kid to even get to compete in such an event, practice hard and go get 'em again next time!!

Sail fast young Man!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 09-09-2008

tomaz_423 will become famous soon enough
You are great!
You had swimming pool, all the food you can eat, a lot of girls and no parents. . . .
You were very good to finish any race under this conditions.
Thanks for posting.

Beneteau Oceanis 473

full time cruising
Old 09-09-2008

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
Good showing Fred.
You did well and should be proud of yourself.

P.S. I hate strong currents too, thats why I sail on a Lake.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
Old 09-09-2008

kai34 is on a distinguished road
congrats. im sure you'll do well in the B class. it looks like you had a lot of fun!!!
-kai
Old 09-09-2008
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough
Fred- congratulations, sounds like you did very well against the older kids and had a lot of fun too! Strong currents and light winds make things difficult, you learned a lot. Thanks for posting, good pictures.

John

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Old 09-09-2008
1997 Dehler 33

max-on will become famous soon enough
Congratulations Fred!!!!!!!!

As for sailing backwards in a current, you must have learned that from your Dad, he is the champion!

Old 09-09-2008
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
Nice work Fred, as always. Working with currents is different isn't it?
Old 09-09-2008

bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about
Good for you Fred!!