Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2008

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
Sailing Influences

I'm feeling a little nostalgic today. Got to thinking about my Dad.

There was a whole lot I didn't like about the old man, we butted heads on way too many occasions and he left me with a few memories that I look forward to forgetting.

But, he taught me a lot and without a doubt is responsible for my love of sailing.

I suppose I could tell stories about him for hours. But briefly, he was a man who loved the sea and sailing boats.
He loved women and whiskey.
He knew how to use tools and could build anything.
He could draw and he could write.
And he was a real character.

Here's a picture of him engaging in two of his favorite activities simultaneously, (ooohh, bad sailor, drinking at the helm).

Attachment 2274

I wonder how many of you owe your love of sailing to your parents.
Any good stories?

Last edited by knothead; 10-29-2008 at 12:55 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-11-2008
Older Junior Member

lsusailing is on a distinguished road
Nice classy post, amazing picture, what an old salt!!!, Good email for us to sit back and think.

Nicely done

John
s/v Daphne
Old 09-11-2008
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
Nope, my Pops never sailed a day in his life. I'm taking the position of your Dad with my kids and hope the love of sailing sticks with some of them.
Old 09-11-2008
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
From my Dad, I got a love of the water. From my Mom, I got a lot of my attitude towards life that let's me enjoy being out here. From reading, and an inherent sense of romanticism I got my love of sailing.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-11-2008

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieCobra View Post
Nope, my Pops never sailed a day in his life. I'm taking the position of your Dad with my kids and hope the love of sailing sticks with some of them.
If I remember correctly, my Dad told me that he ran away from home in rural Illinois. I don't think that he ever got close to a coast until he was pretty well grown.
It always starts somewhere.

BTW, are you sure that you're doing them a favor. Damn expensive and demanding lifestyle.
Old 09-11-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsusailing View Post
Nice classy post, amazing picture, what an old salt!!!, Good email for us to sit back and think.

Nicely done

John
s/v Daphne

"Salty" was a term often used to describe my Father.

Here's another pic from the same, (I think), voyage. Single handing from Seattle to San Francisco.

Attachment 2275

Last edited by knothead; 10-29-2008 at 12:55 PM.
Old 09-11-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Nice post knotty. I got my love of sailing from my wife whose dad was a master of all tonnage and sailor. Didn't take long to set the hook!
Old 09-11-2008
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by knothead View Post
BTW, are you sure that you're doing them a favor. Damn expensive and demanding lifestyle.
I figure that's for them to decide. I just give them as many experiences and opportunities as I can.
Old 09-11-2008
Barkeep - Sailor's Pub

craigtoo will become famous soon enough craigtoo will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to craigtoo Send a message via Yahoo to craigtoo Send a message via Skype™ to craigtoo
My Dad!

Yeah....my dad built his own boat back when I was about 3 or so... He built a mold from wood and laid up his own fiberglass hull.

Built the deck .... etc... etc. the whole thing. All from plans by Bruce Roberts.

Mom went out to construction sites picked up old lead pipes from around NYC and dad melted it all down for the ballast.

Every single thing on that boat other than the hardware, the spars and the rigging was made from scratch..(ok.. the head was bought too...)

The first mast even lasted a year!

The second has lasted 30+ years.. live and learn.

Anyway... we grew up racing every Wednesday night on the LI sound. We were always competitive and finished near the top of our fleet. Now we race on the Magothy.... Dad had RC duty last year and I skippered his boat with my sister... it was the first time in 33 years that the boat has gone out without him at the helm.

We did the summer cruising thing... Connecticut river, Hudson river, Around the Island.... it's what we did.

Dad wasn't exactly Salty... he just REALLY likes sailing... and his boat.... We grew up learning an extremely practical approach. Evaluate the situtation constantly and "Do What Makes Sense".... There are no easy answers or formulas. Use your brain....(Usually it was "Use Your Brain Dumbass!")

Here's a pic of Dad at the helm of my boat sailing from Norfolk to Cape Charles in about 25 kts.

He and my Uncle, Rudolph were the only sailing 'Influences'. I can't even remember if I've ever sailed on any other boats beside mine, my dad's or my Uncle's... (well 420's in college.. )

By far... Dad was THE influence.
Meet Wolfgang....
Attached Thumbnails
Sailing Influences-dad_bay_new.jpg  

I love
Old 09-11-2008

Breznup is on a distinguished road
My dad put me on my first sailboat when I was seven in an old navy life jacket. I was laying on the foredeck when they came about and very calmly fell overboard. That was 55 sailing years ago. I started my son at the age of 4 on an old Ghost made by Janus. He is on his third Lightning.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.