Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2008
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Red Sky at Morning...

Dark red sky this morning. Beautiful and ominous.

They are predicting 20+ foot storm surge off of Ike. I am just writing this on the off chance that anyone might actually consider riding this out on their boat. DO NOT! Believe me, I have been there. Pack up and head out of town now. Head NW. Once the winds hit about 50-60, you cannot even stand up. The only thing you can do, if on mooring, is motor into the wind... but that won't matter once the winds really start coming in and the surge comes in. Not to mention, you will have debris flying everywhere and boats adrift all around you. If you are on a dock, all you can do is raise the lines until you are out of piling. At 20+ foot storm surge, that wont take long. Once the storm gets on you, there is no leaving your boat. You will not be able to get off. You will have tornados coming down around you along with winds and surge that will make any exit impossible. Don't get stuck. Also, in Fl, they shut down the bridges at 35 sustained. Plan ahead or you may not be able to exit.

This is probably the worst case scenario for Houston/Galveston as the major winds for this storm appear to be center-to-NE. That will likely push the water into the bay. You will very likely be without power, likely water, and very possibly sewage. Get cash, ice, and gas. Please review the hurricane prep at the top of the forum if you have not already. I certainly hope everyone with boats have long ago taken care of them and are on their way out of town. There is nothing on your boat worth your life. If you ride her out on your boat, that is likely what it will be.

Best of luck to everyone and their families. I hope to hear from everyone afterwards... with the thougths that it was not nearly as bad as anticipated.

All the best,

Brian

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-12-2008
Pearson 303

SVCarolena is on a distinguished road
Excellent advice from CD (did I really just write that )

My best wishes to everyone on the Gulf coast. Remember, like all material things, boats can be replaced. They are not worth risking your life over.
Old 09-12-2008

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
CD...don't worry...over the clouds, really high, the sky is blue..I swear....
Old 09-12-2008

btrayfors will become famous soon enough btrayfors will become famous soon enough
After having weathered five (count 'em, 5) major hurricanes in the Eastern Caribbean, with winds over 100 knots in the marina, and having studied closely the effects of tropical storms in the Caribbean for the past thirty years, I have to heartily agree with Cruising Dad:

G E T.....O F F.....Y O U R.....B O A T !

Yes, I am shouting!

While Dad has outlined some of the risks, the major risk I have seen is that of the small tornados which accompany hurricanes. These little monsters pack winds over 200 knots. You cannot survive them.

Even if every last thing you own is on the boat, G E T O F F.

Nothing is worth your life, or that of your loved ones.

FWIW,

Bill
Old 09-12-2008
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
Ya'll best listen. Ya have maybe one-two hours to get out so get out NOW!
Old 09-12-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Anyone who has a choice in leaving the boat or staying in a situation like this deserves a Darwin if they choose to stay on the boat. It just isn't worth it.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 09-12-2008
Detachable member

wchevron is on a distinguished road
for all those Catalina owners out in Texas. SAVE YOUR BBQ GRILL, then get off the boat.
Old 09-12-2008

nolatom will become famous soon enough
This is a big storm, geographically. Even in New Orleans we've had two days of gale or tropical storm winds, and along the coast and the Lake, the surge is worse than is was with Gustav.

Prayers and best wishes for those in Galveston, Houston, Freeport, Beaumont area.
Old 09-12-2008

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
Brian and all you in the area. Hope you are well clear by now.
Please keep us informed as to your situations if you can find the time.
God be with you and keep you and yours safe.
Old 09-12-2008
San Juan 26

LittleMissMagic is on a distinguished road
Flooding in Coastal Alabama

We are even feeling Ike this far east. The surge is greater than Gustav's was and the wind seems stronger, though that is only a guess. Here are some pictures we took today in Gulf Shores, Al. And we are several hundred miles away.
Flooding along Al Hwy 59

Hwy 59 flooding (Papa Rocco's to anyone familiar)

Surf from Ike, (Photos don't give it the full impact)

House on West Beach Pass in GS

Good luck Texas, Our prayers are with you.