SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Horrible boat/marina pics from Hurricane Ike

3K views 18 replies 16 participants last post by  KeelHaulin 
#1 ·
Found this gallery posted on another forum. I hesitated to post it here since looking at it is so sad... The good thing is there are still quite a few boats floating...

Hurricane Ike Sept. 12, 2008

#8 ·
I find it interesting that the houses seem to have stood up fine, but that people with roller-furling headsails might have done well to take them off *before* the storm hit..

A lesson for the future: Just 'cause it's rolled up now, doesn't mean it'll stay that way when the wind gets up...

Cameron

#9 ·
Cameron,

Not sure about down there, but around the NW US where we do not get Hurricanes, it is usually recomended that one take the rollerfurlled jobs off if the wind gets about 40-50 mph for an extended period of time. Saw a few last winter in my marina. South of me in Portland Or, folks are recomended to take of the jib for the winter, as they get some ugly winds coming from E Washington down the Columbia river gorge into the 70 mph range!

The pics make it look pretty ugly. I have to wonder if the storm surge is more of a problem than the wind itself. In that the surge lifts the boats, docks and all away from the piers, such that things just float away/around if that is a way to put it!

marty

#11 ·
I had the same thoughts as others here about how many of these boats seem to not had much storm prep done.

Upon further consideration, I imagine I'd prep by house and evacuate my kids and dog before I worried about my jib.

#12 ·
I had the same thoughts as others here about how many of these boats seem to not had much storm prep done.

Upon further consideration, I imagine I'd prep by house and evacuate my kids and dog before I worried about my jib.
Undoubtably...

..but if you had an expensive boat parked right outside, hindsight would seem to recommend at least a few minutes removal of all sails and loose-fitting covers if you wish to find your boat approximately where you left it when you come home. ;) :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.