good old boat (print) vs. practical sailor (online) - Page 2 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2008
Not So Senior Member

Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by halekai36 View Post
Yep fairly useless mags, with the occasional pearl. Unfortunately they wouldn't give an honest review if they had to.
It'd be hard to give an honest review when 40% of the pages in those major rags are ad space purchased by the very product they are reviewing.

Comparing GOB to PS is like apples and oranges (sort of). PS is a more of a reference and GOB is more of a read. I don't find it very entertaining to read a comparison of 10 different inflatable jackets, call me crazy. It's good to check when you are in the market for a new inflatable though.

GOB has paid for itself for me. When I got my boat down to Maryland from NJ I saw a boat two down form mine that I recognized. On closer inspection I confirmed it was Maruska, a P 365 from a series of articles in GOB. The new owner, Dale Tanski, was rebuilding her to take back to his home in Buffalo. He was funding some of his projects by writing articles about the work he was doing to her. Over the course of that winter I commisioned him to rebuild my 25 yr old bowsprit. He did an awsome job and charged me only for material cost. All because I recognized his articles and he happened to be my marina neighbor (and a good guy). Long story short GOB got me a killer price on a new bowsprit, so i vote GOB.
Old 09-20-2008

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
That's something I didn't mention: GOB is great if you've got a 30 year old production boat. I have a 20 year old one-off...but in magazines like Ocean Navigator, I see boats like mine (which are also custom or semi-custom) and are usually geared toward high-latitude or "expedition cruising". Articles on boats like Jimmy Cornell's Aventura III or Skip Novak's Pelagic give me a lot of ideas: The Pelagic Fleet

For instance, there was an article in ON a couple of years ago that showed how a couple with a steel boat had a stern arch for comms, etc. that had incorporated into it two mounted reels of polypropylene line for use in stern anchoring, making a "web" of lines in a narrow Patagonian fjord, or for use when trailing warps or drogues. Simple ideas like that I can incorporate myself, and easily use in a mangrove swamp to convert it into a hurricane hole, for instance.

I find a lot of good "systems" ideas in these magazines, and as we plan to be, if not "out there" like the cruisers of the '50s and '60s, far from boat mechanics and electronics salespeople, it is great to see robust, real-life approaches to keeping the boat in one piece and the crew happy.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-20-2008

ccriders is on a distinguished road
GOB Fiction

Don't discount the value of fiction to help you explore issues that might be missed in technical writing. Fiction can elicit truth.
John
Old 09-21-2008

wolfmt is on a distinguished road
I couldnt resist weighing in on this one as someone who has subscribed to a large number of sailing magazines, and his presently trying to work through every last sailing book written (I suspect I'll go to my grave before achieving this one).

Although I've only owned one wood boat, my favorite sailing magazine for many years was WoodenBoat. Unfortunately, I've enjoyed it less since Peter Spectre ceased editing it. As my interest in WoodenBoat waned, I subscribed at one point or another to Sail, Sailing World, Cruising World, Lattitudes and Longitudes, Sailing, Practical Sailor and as of sometime last year, Good Old Boat.

Good Old Boat has quickly become my favorite all-around sailing magazine. It is the one magazine a I read cover to cover, including classified ads. I enjoy the various projects highlighted, the reviews as well as the fiction. That being said, another poster correctly identified the fact that your choice in sailing magazines will largely be driven by the type of sailing you do and the needs of your boat. I daysail and coastal cruise a 30 year old boat so I'm pretty much in GOB's wheel-house.
Old 09-21-2008

Danjcon is on a distinguished road
I subscribe to Practical Sailor, mainly since I am a new owner of an old boat, and it is like a Consumer Reports for boat stuff. I buy GOB, and like it the best, since it seems to be geared towards maintenance of older boats like mine ( a '71 Seafarer Yawl). They even had an article about someone restoring a Seafarer 34 once. My only complaint about GOB is that it only comes out every other month. I also like Practical Boat Owner,which is the close to a British version of GOB. Most of the other sailing mags I can't relate to much at all, since I don't own a new boat, don't race, and don't sail outside the Chesapeake. But that doesn't stop me from looking through all of them at the book stores.
Old 09-21-2008

PBO is very good, but very expensive. Last June I bought a copy in Amsterdam coming back from Portugal (don't ask...) and I must have been reading it into the fall...perfect "small room literature".
Old 10-26-2008
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
Practical Boat Owner seems to fill the gaps between GOB and what all the other mags might be. Now that Val said it is expensive I'll actually have to look at what the subscription cost me! If you're interested in practical tests of sails, AIS, and the like, check out PBO from the UK.
Old 10-27-2008

Well, it was expensive in Amsterdam's airport, although the steady parade of attractive six-foot-tall Dutch blondes and the ability to buy a breakfast Heineken cushioned the blow somewhat.

I got my PS and my Ocean Navigator late last week. They are complimentary to each other, and both are pretty no-nonsense. GOB can get a little mushy for me, and I really dislike Latitudes and Attitudes for some reason...probably because being born in the '60s (ok, the early '60s), I just break out in hives at the idea of Jimmy Buffett on permanent rotation, debating the merits of mojitos versus D'n'Ss and being drunk at anchor on a shoal draft Catalina in the Bahamas with frisky seniors. I can get my fill of that at my own club here in the frozen North.
Old 10-27-2008
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
A great summation, Val, both of Schipol and Latts/Atts.
Old 10-27-2008

sander06 is on a distinguished road
Personally, I've not renewed any magazines subscriptions because I've got no money since we're in a depression and because I can find anything I need on the internet. I'm a member of The Seven Seas Cruising Association - Home, however, which includes a free on-line subscription to Ocean Navigator.

BTW, I agree with the assessment of Cruising World and Sail magazines. I sometimes feel like I'm the only hobo with a little boat on a very large ocean!! Fortunately, I "frankly don't give a damn!" (Gone with the Wind?)...