SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   good old boat (print) vs. practical sailor (online) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/47285-good-old-boat-print-vs-practical-sailor-online.html)

marcusn 09-19-2008 09:59 PM

good old boat (print) vs. practical sailor (online)

Both seem like GREAT resources.

Just wondering which one (if at all) is more preferred.

Thoughts anyone?

sailingdog 09-19-2008 10:13 PM

Marcus-

Depends on for what. IMHO GOB is probably the more useful publication to a boat owner, since it actually does more with things related to boat ownership. PS is good as a resource, but not as useful over all. PS is great to refer to when you're looking to buy new gear or upgrade stuff on the boat.

Delirious 09-19-2008 10:34 PM

That's my take, too. Use Practical Sailor to be a unemotional aid in selecting a boat and then subscribe to Good Old Boat for a much warmer and friendlier resource with helpful hints and tips.

It goes like this:

PS - We like w and x about the Conch 41, but feel y and z hurt it's overall appeal for a blue-water cruiser.

GOB - Let us tell you about our three week cruise aboard our Conch 41 and how we baked bread in the water-lift muffler.

camaraderie 09-20-2008 02:08 AM

I like the GOB better as I feel PS does not have the technical ability and/or resources to really test some stuff right. They do great on some stuff but not so well on others. GOB is of more practical use if you like fixing stuff and making improvements rather than figuring out which life vest is the best for the money. Both have real value...but if you have to choose, I'd vote for GOB.

Joesaila 09-20-2008 06:34 AM

Have not yet checked out PS but GOB should stick w good old boats. I don't like the fodder [fictional stories] they put in. Give me real boats, real time anyday. More is better.

sailingdog 09-20-2008 08:30 AM

Amen to that... ;)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joesaila (Post 371776)
Have not yet checked out PS but GOB should stick w good old boats. I don't like the fodder [fictional stories] they put in. Give me real boats, real time anyday. More is better.

djodenda 09-20-2008 09:49 AM

Well... looks like you guys are going to cost me more money again.

I've been a PS reader for years, and do use it, but consider my subscription more of a contribution to support their efforts.

I got cheap subscriptions to Cruising World, Sail, and Sailing World last year and am disappointed with them all. They seem overly shallow ;) and focus on real basics, or huge, unaffordable new boats. They are OK, but nothing great.

I think I will try GOB

David

Maine Sail 09-20-2008 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djodenda (Post 371806)

I got cheap subscriptions to Cruising World, Sail, and Sailing World last year and am disappointed with them all. They seem overly shallow ;) and focus on real basics, or huge, unaffordable new boats. They are OK, but nothing great.
David

Yep fairly useless mags, with the occasional pearl. Unfortunately they wouldn't give an honest review if they had to.

My mags of choice:

Professional Boat Builder
GOB
PS
Wooden Boat
DIY Boat

Valiente 09-20-2008 05:04 PM

I subscribe to Ocean Navigator and PS, both of which provide food for thought, information I can use, and have saved me hundreds of dollars beyond their price.

I pick up GOB at the magazine rack (despite its high price) because occasionally they have a "project" article I want. But the general thrust of it seems oriented toward either the coastal/Great Lakes/Caribbean sailor/cruiser, or the owner of a legitimately old boat looking to upgrade via work over the winter. Which is fine, but which is becoming increasingly distant from my own interests of oceanic passagemaking.

sailingdog 09-20-2008 05:13 PM

I'd second Ocean Navigator. :) Good mag.