Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2008

marcusn is on a distinguished road
good old boat (print) vs. practical sailor (online)

Both seem like GREAT resources.

Just wondering which one (if at all) is more preferred.

Thoughts anyone?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-19-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Marcus-

Depends on for what. IMHO GOB is probably the more useful publication to a boat owner, since it actually does more with things related to boat ownership. PS is good as a resource, but not as useful over all. PS is great to refer to when you're looking to buy new gear or upgrade stuff on the boat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 09-19-2008
Pearson 31-2 #80 ('87)

Delirious is on a distinguished road
That's my take, too. Use Practical Sailor to be a unemotional aid in selecting a boat and then subscribe to Good Old Boat for a much warmer and friendlier resource with helpful hints and tips.

It goes like this:

PS - We like w and x about the Conch 41, but feel y and z hurt it's overall appeal for a blue-water cruiser.

GOB - Let us tell you about our three week cruise aboard our Conch 41 and how we baked bread in the water-lift muffler.
Charlie P. P31-2 #80 CATNAP

To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive - R.L. Stevenson

I suspect that, if you should go to the end of the world, you would find somebody there going farther . . . - H.D. Thoreau
Old 09-20-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
I like the GOB better as I feel PS does not have the technical ability and/or resources to really test some stuff right. They do great on some stuff but not so well on others. GOB is of more practical use if you like fixing stuff and making improvements rather than figuring out which life vest is the best for the money. Both have real value...but if you have to choose, I'd vote for GOB.
Old 09-20-2008
1977 Morgan OI 30

Joesaila is on a distinguished road
Have not yet checked out PS but GOB should stick w good old boats. I don't like the fodder [fictional stories] they put in. Give me real boats, real time anyday. More is better.
Old 09-20-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Amen to that...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joesaila View Post
Have not yet checked out PS but GOB should stick w good old boats. I don't like the fodder [fictional stories] they put in. Give me real boats, real time anyday. More is better.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 09-20-2008

djodenda will become famous soon enough djodenda will become famous soon enough
Well... looks like you guys are going to cost me more money again.

I've been a PS reader for years, and do use it, but consider my subscription more of a contribution to support their efforts.

I got cheap subscriptions to Cruising World, Sail, and Sailing World last year and am disappointed with them all. They seem overly shallow and focus on real basics, or huge, unaffordable new boats. They are OK, but nothing great.

I think I will try GOB

David

1987 CS 36 Merlin "Kyrie"

"They drove a dump truck full of money up to my house. I'm not made of stone!" -Krusty the Clown
Old 09-20-2008

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by djodenda View Post

I got cheap subscriptions to Cruising World, Sail, and Sailing World last year and am disappointed with them all. They seem overly shallow and focus on real basics, or huge, unaffordable new boats. They are OK, but nothing great.
David
Yep fairly useless mags, with the occasional pearl. Unfortunately they wouldn't give an honest review if they had to.

My mags of choice:

Professional Boat Builder
GOB
PS
Wooden Boat
DIY Boat

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 09-20-2008

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
I subscribe to Ocean Navigator and PS, both of which provide food for thought, information I can use, and have saved me hundreds of dollars beyond their price.

I pick up GOB at the magazine rack (despite its high price) because occasionally they have a "project" article I want. But the general thrust of it seems oriented toward either the coastal/Great Lakes/Caribbean sailor/cruiser, or the owner of a legitimately old boat looking to upgrade via work over the winter. Which is fine, but which is becoming increasingly distant from my own interests of oceanic passagemaking.
Old 09-20-2008
Telstar 28

I'd second Ocean Navigator. Good mag.

Telstar 28
New England