Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2008
Censored4 your protection

Cope44 is on a distinguished road
Question Jib sheets, In or Out??

Hello again folks.

My question is should the jib sheets be run inside the stays or out side?

On my last sail I ran the sheets on the outside, the sheath was damaged and the line seemed to hang up on every tack. With the sheet ran on the inside of the stays it seems the jib will rub on the stays causing damage to it.

The boat is a 21' Clipper Marine. (Please don't move this to the orphan boats section, I have had a post there for a week with no responses. I think thats where post go to die?)

Here is a pick of the sheet position.

Thanks for the help.

Cope
CM 21 #291

I fight to refuse a battle of wits against a one armed man.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-20-2008

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
run on outside.

You can get PVC tube and cover the shrouds so they don't schaffe the sheets.

Several speciality houses sell a tube that is slotted along all its lenght so you can put it around the shrouds.

Hope it helps..

In the mean time I am locating the tube I refer to.

Edit...HERE YOU GO ...go buy a few feet of this and tell everyone uncle Giu sent you....

Last edited by Giulietta; 09-20-2008 at 09:27 PM.
Old 09-20-2008

Thanks!

Thanks for the answer.

I will continue to run the sheets outside the stays. (+ add some pipe to cover the rigging.)

I know this is not the right thread, But I would like to thank you for the "learn to sail vids". You have a beautiful boat and family, and inspire more than you will ever know.

Thanks again, and keep doing what you do so well.

Cope
CM 21 #291

Old 09-20-2008

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
You're welcome.

By the way..I really really love your avatar...

When I was young and couldn't afford much, we used tygon tubing or small diameter hose on the shrouds. Not as pretty but does the same job.

On the bottom, to cover the turnbuckles use a larger diameter pipe or tube.

Alex
Old 09-20-2008

chipdance is on a distinguished road
I'm still very new to sailing, my first sail was on my first boat (1979 MacGregor Venture 25) which I bought about 4 weeks ago. On my boat there are some rope locks (the pinch kind, not cleats, proper name?) located to the outside and back of the cabin. There are three on each side. they are labeled and include one on each side for "jib sheet". I don't have a rolling furler, so when using my "storm jib" (approx 70%) the sheets seem to naturally run on the inside of the stays almost straight back to the "locks". The boat has had many mods so I am not sure if these locks are stock but it seems to be a good fit. When using the larger jib (genoa? about 130%) I find those locks not very useful because of the angle from the clew to the locks around either the outside or the inside of the stays. Does anyone have any thoughts about my particular setup? Are the locks stock? Is it a bad idea to run the sheets inside of the stays when using the storm jib?

Thanks

Chip

1979 Mac Venture 25 "Chinook"
Old 09-21-2008

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by chipdance View Post
I'm still very new to sailing, my first sail was on my first boat (1979 MacGregor Venture 25) which I bought about 4 weeks ago. On my boat there are some rope locks (the pinch kind, not cleats, proper name?) located to the outside and back of the cabin.
I think you're referring to clutches. Do they look kind of like something on this page?

Can't answer any of your other questions, as I've no idea what a MacGregor 25 even looks like.

Jim
Old 09-21-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
SemiJim-

I think he's talking about either cam cleats or clam cleats, depending on whether the pinch is cause by pulling the rope into the slot or the cams "pinching" the rope.

Cam Cleat:

Clam Cleat:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 09-21-2008

eMKay is on a distinguished road
On my boat, jib inside, genoa outside.

Technician, RCR Yachts Buffalo.
Old 09-21-2008
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Sheeting inside or outside usually depends on the location of the jib/genoa tracks, the deck plan, and the sail itself.

The OP's picture looks like a situation that, with added tracks inboard, the working jib could possibly be sheeted inside. Any overlapping sail, of course, goes outside.

Chipdance: From your description it sounds like you are missing a step. The sheet should not go directly to your clutches/cleats, but through at least a padeye or a block on the cabin top or deck first.

From the pics in this link:
Gallery :: Venture 25
It looks like there's a short track and block on the coaming leading to a winch, and any cabintop cleats/clutches look to be for halyards run aft.

Though the boat is apart, these pictures may be helpful to you.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 09-21-2008

Giu ,Thanks for the complement on my avatar. It makes me smile to think of someone like you (Sailnet guru, master cruiser, and bad a$$ boat owner) with little money and "just starting out". You truly are an inspiration to a novice sailor, in a little old boat, on a lake.

Jib track?

This is looking down the rail. The chain plate is kinda hidden by the glare off the truck windshield. When I look at it from this angle it seems the line might run from the jib track around the stay and then to the sail. (causing excess friction)

How dangerous would it be to step the mast and hoist the jib while on the trailer? If I don't belay the jib sheet it should be fine right?

what about using a "pennant" to raise the jib over the bow rail? How can I combat the pennant moving the jib to far back towards the mast?

Pennant pick

As always thanks for everyones time and advice.

Cope
CM 21 #291