Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2008

billyruffn will become famous soon enough
Hull bugs

A couple of weeks ago I got under the boat for the first time of the summer to give the hull a quick brush in preparation for the Great Provincetown Schooner Race and Yacht Regatta. (It's a great fun race with boats ranging in size from 150 ft schooners to 15 ft dinghies).

Having sat idle for several weeks on a mooring in Provincetown harbor (Cape Cod, MA), Billy Ruff'n's hull was spotted with small lumpy brown-ish slime clusters. They came off easily with a soft brush and in no time the hull was race ready. However, when I got out of the water my wetsuit, BC, tank, gloves, etc were all covered with small shrimp-like critters approx. 1/4 inch long, dark in color, with a very active tail-snap. What ever these were they apparently lived in the slime clusters. When I closely examined some of the slime, it appeared to contain many "baby" critters leading me to the conclusion that what ever these things are they had set up a nursury on my well anti-fouled hull (Interlux Micron Extra).

Any ideas of what these may be? Krill? Sea lice? Baby lobster?

BTW - We were second across the line and third in our class in corrected time. Not bad for an old cruising boat with the first mate and two newbies as crew.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-21-2008

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
RUN!!!!! RUN!!!

WARNING!!!!!!!!!

YOU ARE IN GREAT DANGER!!!

MOVE OUT NOW!!!

YOU'RE INFESTED BY THE DANGEROUS:

MORPIONS!!!

Leave the boat and your belongings back....those little creatures, or animals you are getting are not weed eating fish....they are called "MORPIONS", they are like the crabs...of crabs...they are experts in osmosis, and enter the hull thru blisters....they squeeze themselves thru the molecules of fiber glass and wood (luckily not thru Carbon Fiber and Kevlar, as they avoid those boats..they're allergic to fast boats), on most boats, specially crappy old ones and Catalinas...

Here's a mug shot of one done by our resident artist..

What they do is, as they pass thru the hull, they get together, they aglomerate into larger masses, they eat cookies and chocolate, and then...they rape sleeping sailors...but they leave no traces...other than a funny feeling when you next go in the head....kinda like "ants in the sugar box", if you know what I mean.... An itchy a**hole.....

You need to paint your hull with a super rare very expensive paint called:

"LA SURRENDER"...

Unfortunately its very very very very EXPENSIVE...as it is made with a very rare substance, called French Bravery....so only a few cans were made...

what you do...if your lucky to get one can, is paint it over your antifouling...

I have never seen the MORPIONS, I know they exist, because some guys around my marina walk "funny"..they suffer of Gayness...a disease spread by excessive admission of Morpions analy...known victims: Boy George, Elton John, Camaraderie...etc..sad but true...

Most people..... don't admit having those bore making animals in their boats..... some do admit....but they're "openly" "different"....

I'm protected... my cruising speed is over 6kts, and my boat moves..hence no marine growth
Old 09-21-2008

tomaz_423 will become famous soon enough
Alex, this advice deserves a sticky.
(Can't give you more rep power - should spread some first)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Beneteau Oceanis 473

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

full time cruising
Old 09-21-2008

Freesail99 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Freesail99
Quote:
Unfortunately its very very very very EXPENSIVE...as it is made with a very rare substance, called French Bravery....so only a few cans were made...
Now that is funny
Old 09-21-2008

sailhog has a spectacular aura about sailhog has a spectacular aura about
Look at the five o'clock shadow on that scrotum! Somebody hand that Morpion a Bic.
Old 09-21-2008
Not So Senior Member

Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about

I like how the piece is signed. I would sign it too if it were mine though. You may want to get a copyright on that one.
Old 09-21-2008
Not So Senior Member

Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about
Thanks for the new desktop on my work computer by the way

Last edited by Sapperwhite; 09-21-2008 at 05:48 PM.
Old 09-21-2008

teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about
The real Alex is back! You gotta love it.
Old 09-21-2008

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapperwhite View Post
Thanks for the new desktop on my work computer by the way

Hey..Sap..have you noticed the Power Plant in the background????
Old 09-21-2008
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
Hey now thats a self portrait I hadn't seen before...Stunning likeness...The man definitely has a gift...