Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree261Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2008
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Wow - that is definitely one big freakin' sail! But - as Giu correctly pointed out - we're looking for the verb form. If it ain't in the photo - it just didn't happen. MDB.

Wait - on closer inspection - that horizon line does look pretty tilty. Is that photoshop?

Last edited by smackdaddy; 09-25-2008 at 01:29 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-25-2008
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
Absolutely gorgeous. Getting the cute wet offwind is fun ain't it?

Unfortunately, we didn't have enough air to get mine wet this time and I didn't have a camera handy the one time we did.

Old 09-25-2008
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Okay - he's too modest to do it, so I'm going to have to. Here's a BFS from a monster sailor who shall remain nameless (at least by me). Hard to argue with this one.

15 Freakin' Knots. BFS.
Old 09-25-2008

cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough
Charlie,
WTF, Over?

Some people are like slinkies: not really good for anything... but you can't help laughing when you push them down the stairs
Old 09-25-2008

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
Smack,
I do not own photoshop and we were all a little busy when we broached, no photo's but do have 4 sailnet members as witnesses (Alex, Fred, me, MMR).

The best part of that day was as we were coming into the port.
25+ of stink, screaming along at 11+ knts there was a freighter coming in just outside the seawall, Alex took the helm did a tack, heave to, tack and jibe in about 3 minutes and looped around astern of it as if he was on his boat with his normal 11 man race crew - mind you in 6-8 ft swell and 25+ of wind with a couple Admirals, one heel impaired catamaraner and his kid as crew

Then he pointed up and put the boat at 45 degrees of heel and close hauled thru the inlet doing 11-12 knts until we were 100 meters into the harbor, told me to take the helm and went up and dropped his seriously BFS main sail in like 20 seconds as we rounded up into the wind.

The port we went into had a regatta scheduled for that day canceled on account of too much wind. His motor didn't run except inside the harbor.

Shame there are no pictures, we were sort of busy.
Old 09-25-2008
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
Flag halyard, Port side on the Mizzen.
Old 09-25-2008
Last Man Standing

Why it's a climbing/mountaineering implement called a piton, CP! C'mon - do you think a guy like Charlie just sails for his fun? Strap on a bosun's seat, grab some extra sheet line and take on K2 - baby! Just bring back photos or it didn't happen.
Old 09-25-2008
On the hard

I don't climb anymore. One 150' bouncing fall down a sandstone cliff face finished that for me some years ago. I don't jump out of perfectly good helicopters and airplanes anymore either, the knees can't take it. It sucks getting older...
Old 09-25-2008

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
It took some serious digging but the challenge has been met, here I am sailing along fearlessly in company of sea monsters.
Full sail up and cruising right into their maws. Not an ounce of photoshop in this picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Big Freakin' Sails-dsc00756.jpg  
Old 09-25-2008
Last Man Standing

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucklesR View Post
Smack,
I do not own photoshop and we were all a little busy when we broached, no photo's but do have 4 sailnet members as witnesses (Alex, Fred, me, MMR).

The best part of that day was as we were coming into the port.
25+ of stink, screaming along at 11+ knts there was a freighter coming in just outside the seawall, Alex took the helm did a tack, heave to, tack and jibe in about 3 minutes and looped around astern of it as if he was on his boat with his normal 11 man race crew - mind you in 6-8 ft swell and 25+ of wind with a couple Admirals, one heel impaired catamaraner and his kid as crew

Then he pointed up and put the boat at 45 degrees of heel and close hauled thru the inlet doing 11-12 knts until we were 100 meters into the harbor, told me to take the helm and went up and dropped his seriously BFS main sail in like 20 seconds as we rounded up into the wind.

The port we went into had a regatta scheduled for that day canceled on account of too much wind. His motor didn't run except inside the harbor.

Shame there are no pictures, we were sort of busy.
Yeah - I was just kiddin' you Chuckles. But you do bring up the Achilles' Heel (or lack thereof in wimpy wind) of the whole photo/happen rule. Either you're a guy like Giu - who seems to have his own cadre of paparazzi that can chronicle his every epic sail - or you're like us normal people who have to whiteknuckle the tiller/wheel with one hand, release the straining jib sheat with the other, take a quick slug of booze, grab the Hasselblad 50MP, wait for the next set of 30' breakers to throw the boat to just right angle, focus with your pinky as you go airborne into the boom, snap the shot, look at the lcd screen to make sure it's radical enough for BFS, hit save, stow the camera back in its dry bag, take another hit of booze, then grab that jib sheat that flying sideways in the 80 knot breeze. It does take some practice.

Last edited by smackdaddy; 09-25-2008 at 02:27 PM.