Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree225Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2009

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
John,

Not sure what type of jib that was. It did look small-er for that boat. As a lot of fractional rigs did not have their 110's up, but 75-90% jibs. That may have been what was up.

I made a post on SA last night asking for local Zspar reps, got two PMs this AM< so looks like I'll be/should be back in biz for #3.

I'd also seen that video earlier on sunday, It's done by a fellow "kite" on SA, and has a local photography studio - "Pacific Fog" or some such thing, will try to find a link in a bit.

Marty
Old 03-17-2009

artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice
Final update - BoatUS is handling the insurance and we will pull it into CSR tomorrow courtesy of Vessel Assist. I opted not to mess with the motor as things are manageable at this point (meaning) - no ingress of water less areas we know about. So, tomorrow at 10:30am we will get towed back to the the second home of "HG" at CSR in Ballard from Edmonds.

There was not a full service yard in Edmonds and CSR knows the boat almost as well as I do at this point. Adjusters will be standing by and all of the issues between the pounding the the rigging took (it was all new but we got pounded so hard the chainplates started leaking like crazy - expected when you are constantly dropped a few feet), bottom, keel, motor etc will be addressed and estimated.

Charlie, SD, David, Marty, Smack.. etc thanks much... Tomorrow will be the big day and it will all be descripted on my blog on my sig... After all this is Big Freaking Sails and not Big Frickin Sandbar (as SD noted !)... Thanks again...

S/V "
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -
1983, Barberis Show 38! or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-17-2009

GeorgeB is on a distinguished road
Pretty good carnage up there in the PNW. How did the boom go? Broach? Round up? We had the other end of that cold front down here in SF. The wind was in the low to mid twenties, and five foot seas with a three foot wind wave for the Double Handed Lightship Race outside the Gate. We blew out the leach on our 135 genoa, nothing like what you guys had. Fortunately the repair will be finished in time to do the Double Handed Farallones in two weeks.

Last edited by GeorgeB; 03-17-2009 at 02:25 AM.
Old 03-17-2009

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
George,

I was heading downwind to get around a bouy to the north and port, and the current was pushig me past the bouy to the south, coming in from the SE. Double reefed, was trying to get by with out gybing, would have done it, if a BIG roller would not have come thru and rolled me port, so the wind caught the main on that side, boome went 180 SB to port, and broke at the back end of the vang connection, and also about where the lower shroud is. Which I believe is where the boom stopped at. Would have possily continured had the 110 jib been up vs down trying to get the strom jib up for the upwind leg. Decided the better part of valor was to motor home.

We may very well have ended up quitting any way if under jib alone, as my HP is halfway between the start and turn bouy. Race was about 12-13 mile north and south route as the crow flies.

Overall a good day, one sailmake has 22 bags of sails to repair. a few other odds and ends to fix. Ordered a new boom and gooseneck for my rig a bit ago. ~$400 plus shipping from east coast. About half of what I thought a boom would be. Two locals tried, Thanks to the folks at CSR and NW Rigging for there efforts.

Sounds like I will be on the line for CSS#3. a 30'ish mile south to north sail! Hopefully something a bit less but still steady like last saturday vs race one, which had lulls to just over 20 knots in less than 15 min, SW to 15 then out of NW to 22 in less than 100 yds! Lots of fun if the spin was up! Typical March sailing!

Marty
Old 03-17-2009
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Man - I just want to tell you guys - you're what makes sailing look so damn fun to the world.

Yeah I know everyone always goes on and on about not breakin' stuff, sailing flat, blah, blah. But when I see these videos and pics I can't wait for my next BFS. Seriously.

Thanks for showing us all how it's done fellas! You guys freakin' rock!

PS - Jody, I look forward to your write up on your blog. Hang in there bro.

Last edited by smackdaddy; 03-17-2009 at 11:06 AM.
Old 03-17-2009
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
Eh.., pretty much standard sailing up here when It ain't Summer. It's either blowing 5 or 50 from September to July.
Old 03-17-2009

artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice
Damage way less than what I expected - BoatUS may think otherwise.

Considering the 5 hours of being ping ponged .... this is the major extent - rest of pics on sig...See SA for the rant against my handling of everything...

Considering the location, the conditions, the boat damage is way less than I at least expected and we all got home safely with a story to tell...It was what it was... At CSR Marine in Ballard where I am sure it will all be fixed in short order... I did make their "book" after all... End of story - everything is manageable and my crew managed this in the conditions as stated... looks bad - but could of really been way worse...

S/V "
" -

Old 03-17-2009

djodenda will become famous soon enough djodenda will become famous soon enough
Aw...

Jody....

Looks like you made the correct decision bringing her right to CSR...

I looked for the Girl Scout cookies aboard, but couldn't find them.

You didn't eat them all, did you?

Looking forward to seeing you back in the water soon.

David

1987 CS 36 Merlin "Kyrie"

"They drove a dump truck full of money up to my house. I'm not made of stone!" -Krusty the Clown
Old 03-17-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by djodenda View Post
Aw...

Jody....

Looks like you made the correct decision bringing her right to CSR...

I looked for the Girl Scout cookies aboard, but couldn't find them.

You didn't eat them all, did you?

Looking forward to seeing you back in the water soon.

David
I ate not one - and the bevs went to the crew... Yeah - CSR is all over it and glad that they are on it... Just how I am ... no cookies for me

S/V "
" -

Old 03-17-2009

djodenda will become famous soon enough djodenda will become famous soon enough
And as far as the SA guys are concerned, don't let a few rude people stop you from sharing your experiences in your generous effort to help other sailors.

You are, again, doing the right thing, and I am proud to be your friend, and fellow member of this community.

David

P.S. I need to get Kyrie's bottom painted.. Do you think I can get on some kind of group discount at CSR with you?

1987 CS 36 Merlin "Kyrie"

"They drove a dump truck full of money up to my house. I'm not made of stone!" -Krusty the Clown