Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree264Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2009

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
The CYC Center Sound Series started by Mordacious. A few minutes ago it was about 10-15 post down in the upper sailing thread area.

CYC Center Sound Series - Sailing Anarchy Forums

Marty
Old 03-18-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Erps—

Usually it is Those who have gone aground and those who lie about it...
Quote:
Originally Posted by erps View Post
I feel for you Jody. On the bright side, you've joined a new club, as there are two types of boaters, those that have gone aground and those that haven't gone aground yet.

It looks like the damage is the the fiberglass fairing?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-18-2009

I'm also recalling a YC in London? no dues, you get in by initiation only! it was started by two bigger big wig sailors in London as I recall. Do not recall the actual name, but it is for folks that have "GOOD groundings" of there boats. I would Jody and Jam the other boat that grounded last saturday qualify for membership!

Marty
Old 03-18-2009

bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Erps—

Usually it is Those who have gone aground and those who lie about it...
I don't lie about it. I have only be aground__________times!

Never Forgotten

Old 03-18-2009

artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by erps View Post
I feel for you Jody. On the bright side, you've joined a new club, as there are two types of boaters, those that have gone aground and those that haven't gone aground yet.

It looks like the damage is the the fiberglass fairing?
Well, damage is definitely a bit (a lot) more intensive now. I arrived early this morning, to meet the surveyor and was greeted by "HG" with a pool of oil mixed with water at the bottom of the keel. So, that definitely confirmed that the damage is a bit more extensive (a keel bolt is loose). Due the framing structure that supports the keel - it will be a very costly job. The interior will have to be removed, keel will have to be dropped, re-faired, etc...

However, the positive side to all this is: if this doesn't become a salvage boat, I'll have plenty of time to do properly do all the interior varnish work and install a new bilge system properly.

Everyone seems to think it is doable (always that false hope / negotiation deal) but no one will really know until the sub flooring (it is glassed in / over the fiberglass framing that runs parallel to the steel framing the keel is attached to) is removed, water / oil pumped out, and they can assess how it is all attached and what is damaged structurally. Probably will be a good week or so before I know where we get to go with this. However, the surveyor did mention to me that we did the right thing. Had the boat been allowed to take on water (from the listing after becoming aground), it would of been a loss from the word go.

S/V "
" -
1983, Barberis Show 38! or

Old 03-18-2009
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
That would have been a real shame, especially considering the rarity of HG. I mean, Oh Joy is a one of a kind custom build but there were at least 6 Knutson yawls built.
Old 03-18-2009

GeorgeB is on a distinguished road
Blt2ski – I’m glad that your boom is well on its way to repair and not so expensive. I’m assuming that they are sending you a blank and that you will be doing all the remounting. At least that way you will get it done right and make any necessary improvements to the original, “stock” spar. If I can make a suggestion/ Use Teffgel (not Tuffgel) to mount your hardware. Tuffgel will act as a lubricant under vibration and you may find your screws unexpectantly backing themselves out (We found out the hardway on the PacCup when our mast t-track started to work itself loose). The Teffgel has just enough adhesive to lock but not enough to seize up. Sort of like blue lock tight which will also isolate dissimilar metals. I’m no longer a fan of lanocote as it is messy and it will ooze out when warmed by the sun. My little sail repair will set me back some $150 so you are indeed fortunate.

Artbyjody – sorry to hear of your travails. As you know by now, you will get no compassion or understanding by the posters at SA. Their bravura is entertaining to read and sometimes you find a pearl of wisdom. But their site is all about trash talk which is ironic insomuch that they are constantly complaining that racing is dying and they can’t figure out how to attract more participation. Go figure. If those guys were on the Sea of Galilee when Jesus walked on the water, they’d probably complain that he did so because he couldn’t swim.

I, for one, am interested in your story, but, not being from the area, am a little confused as to some of the details. Could you make a little sketch or something? Was this a windward mark where you were changing course to a reaching leg? And where was the shoal in relation to the mark? I’m assuming that you called it in to vessel assist and that they were several hours away. Did you try to use your anchor to check your drift? And please, go over again how you were able to keep the boat upright when the tide was at its lowest. You might want to consider writing up your incident in detail and submitting it to Sail magazine’s “Voice of Experience” feature. I’m sure that many other people will want to learn from your experience. I wish for you a speedy repair and that Hello Gorgeous comes back better than ever.

Smack – As you probably figured out by now, broken boats sail real slow and they are expensive to repair. And money spent on repairs is not being spent on improvements and new gear. A couple hundred dollars of repairs after each race is the price of a new spinnaker for me at the end of the season. Besides, my wife says I’m just one big disaster away from retiring from racing so I gotta play it cool. And, when are you coming out to the Bay Area? I want to show you what sailing in real salt water and in real wind is all about.
Old 03-18-2009

George,

Believe it or not, that is complete! per original specs, by the spar manufacture! along with a new gooseneck for the $425-450. I have a pretty small 10' boom and actual spar.

Hopefully it will get from Fl to up here by the end of next week. All I will then have to do is mount the pulleys, sheaves etc for the main sheet, run the lines for out haul and 2 reefs, take off and mount a new gooseneck. Altho if everything shows up friday, I may mount the boom on current gooseneck, and redo the gooseneck sunday. Looks like I may have a full 6 person crew which makes things easier on my boat instead of the 4 the last two weeks.

I'll agree on the repair part. Been pretty luck so far, but a new code 5 spin and pole is on the list of improvements for the year, but my biz better pickup or...........

Marty

Last edited by blt2ski; 03-18-2009 at 08:24 PM.
Old 03-18-2009

artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeB View Post
Blt2ski – I’m glad that your boom is well on its way to repair and not so expensive. I’m assuming that they are sending you a blank and that you will be doing all the remounting. At least that way you will get it done right and make any necessary improvements to the original, “stock” spar. If I can make a suggestion/ Use Teffgel (not Tuffgel) to mount your hardware. Tuffgel will act as a lubricant under vibration and you may find your screws unexpectantly backing themselves out (We found out the hardway on the PacCup when our mast t-track started to work itself loose). The Teffgel has just enough adhesive to lock but not enough to seize up. Sort of like blue lock tight which will also isolate dissimilar metals. I’m no longer a fan of lanocote as it is messy and it will ooze out when warmed by the sun. My little sail repair will set me back some $150 so you are indeed fortunate.

Artbyjody – sorry to hear of your travails. As you know by now, you will get no compassion or understanding by the posters at SA. Their bravura is entertaining to read and sometimes you find a pearl of wisdom. But their site is all about trash talk which is ironic insomuch that they are constantly complaining that racing is dying and they can’t figure out how to attract more participation. Go figure. If those guys were on the Sea of Galilee when Jesus walked on the water, they’d probably complain that he did so because he couldn’t swim.

I, for one, am interested in your story, but, not being from the area, am a little confused as to some of the details. Could you make a little sketch or something? Was this a windward mark where you were changing course to a reaching leg? And where was the shoal in relation to the mark? I’m assuming that you called it in to vessel assist and that they were several hours away. Did you try to use your anchor to check your drift? And please, go over again how you were able to keep the boat upright when the tide was at its lowest. You might want to consider writing up your incident in detail and submitting it to Sail magazine’s “Voice of Experience” feature. I’m sure that many other people will want to learn from your experience. I wish for you a speedy repair and that Hello Gorgeous comes back better than ever.

Smack – As you probably figured out by now, broken boats sail real slow and they are expensive to repair. And money spent on repairs is not being spent on improvements and new gear. A couple hundred dollars of repairs after each race is the price of a new spinnaker for me at the end of the season. Besides, my wife says I’m just one big disaster away from retiring from racing so I gotta play it cool. And, when are you coming out to the Bay Area? I want to show you what sailing in real salt water and in real wind is all about.
G, thanks for the perspective - gotta say, less the damages - we could of been worse. I am a bit taken aback from the flak I got, and now at a point of possibly losing my boat. Under my command we went from a 40 degree list to less than a 20 when aground...saving the boat - an anchor would of just complicated things as we never didn't move an inch gps wise until VA arrived... the full details are on my blog somewhere in my sig.. The crew and the fact they believed in the boat - all vested their personal lives to seeing her through and she delivered... and that is about the end of the story less what comes of the bill to repair... And yeah - we need not discuss the merits of SA as the types of friends I have made have been here on Sailnet .... Again David, thanks your shorepower cord is back on your boat...

S/V "
" -
1983, Barberis Show 38! or

Old 03-18-2009

bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about
Wind! Here's wind!

http://

Never Forgotten