SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Big Freakin' Sails

593K views 3K replies 293 participants last post by  smackdaddy 
#1 ·
Okay - this thread is for people that ACTUALLY LIKE Big Freakin' Sails (note for morons: the verb, not the noun). BFS simply means sailing that pushes limits - whatever those limits may be. And herein lies the rub...and the reason I need to explain a couple of things so people don't start foaming at the mouth right off the bat.

There has been a tremendous amount of hubbub over this "philosophy" in another thread - but that thread apparently "came with a lot of baggage" - to the point that the topic itself got lost in the fog of war. So, this is an attempt to start cleanly.

It must be understood that the love for the adventure and excitement of hard sailing is just as valid and robust in the newbie as it is in the big-sailing old salt. The gap between the two is experience and knowledge. And the goal here is not to fill that gap by quashing the spirit of adventure and excitement with a deluge of cynicism and technicality - but to help us all learn, if and when the time comes, how to better handle that moment when mother nature starts rising beyond our sailing abilities. Because if you keep sailing - it will happen, period. And as you'll see, it can get very frightening very quickly.

For an old salt, these limits will obviously be worlds beyond those of the typical newbie. That old salt will probably snicker at the point at which the newbie becomes terrified - understandably so. Yet, there will inevitably be an even more seasoned salt that will, in turn, snicker at the snickerer when he/she soils his/her own breeches in a blow. It's all subjective and un-ownable.

Therefore, the BFS factor of a newbie experiencing a hard heel and wayward helm for the very first time is just as exciting, important, and valuable (in BFS terms) as the old salt battling a 50 knot gale. It's just about the attitude with which the exploit is approached and remembered - and taken into account as they go back out for more. There are great stories and valuable lessons in both experiences - as well as great opportunities for good hearted slams on the brave posters (which is valuable as well). That's BFS.

So, to be clear this thread is JUST AS MUCH FOR THE SAILING NEWBIE (of which I am one) as it is for the old salt. It's a place to tell your story, listen to others', learn some lessons, and discuss the merits or detractions of Big Freakin' Sails.

The following inaugural BFS stories illustrate what this thread is all about. As I said, I'm a newbie - and you see my first BFS story below. You can then compare that with the other great BFS stories thereafter (sometimes edited to protect the innocent) which I think are great tales from great sailors; they cover the spectrum of "pushing the limits". Then, hopefully, you'll throw down some BFS of your own (either your own story, stories you admire, or stories that are just flat-out lies but with great BFS value - whatever).

Now, let's have some fun...shall we?

See less See more
#363 ·
Yeah, but you had the option of ducking under the waves once you get the guy off and med-evaced... :) Sailboats don't have that option...

#364 ·
Ha, sailboats have that option, it's called sinking. Sinking is easy when the hatches have been ripped off, mast and rigging are ripped apart and become hole making pikes and steel cable saws and bulkheads are buckling inward under 20 ton waves.

The difference is comfort - submarines sink comfortably

#365 · (Edited)
Jody, I don't want to critical about your video. If I was in the cockpit I would NOT clip onto the stern rail. I would find a center point in the cockpit to clip to. If you are cliped on the rail you can go over the side and be pulled along by the boat. If you have a 12 foot beam and 6 foot tether and cliped on the center line you can't go over either side..

Also your harness should be on the outside of your jacket. 2 reasons 1) the quick release would be at hand. 2) if you do go over the side that jacket is going to be turned inside out over your face before you can release.

#372 ·
Jody, I don't want to critical about your video. If I was in the cockpit I would NOT clip onto the stern rail. I would find a center point in the cockpit to clip to. If you are cliped on the rail you can go over the side and be pulled along by the boat. If you have a 12 foot beam and 6 foot tether and cliped on the center line you can't go over either side..

Also your harness should be on the outside of your jacket. 2 reasons 1) the quick release would be at hand. 2) if you do go over the side that jacket is going to be turned inside out over your face before you can release.
Normally I would of - however:

Tether: No center place to tie onto center of the cockpit and being kept with the boat is better than nothing. Will probably put some fittings in later to address that.

Lifevest: They are auto pfds and the the jacket was loose fitting. I had the jacket over the pfd so it would not possibly auto inflate due to the amount of water we taking over the side. It has been known to happen.

It was my judgment call based on the conditions - and was acutely aware of what the hazards would be one way or the other ;) But thanks for pointing it out.

#368 ·
While the 1998 sydney-hobart race did have winds up to hurricane force, there is nothing associated with that particular photo that says it was taken at the time or place in the race where such winds were happening. To me it looks like 50 or so which is certainly bad enough...but it is simply not crazy enough to be 70 in open water in my opinion.

#370 ·
blt - great pictures from the race. I hope Sdog didn't look at how bad that tri got humiliated. Ha! It looks like it was definitely a spanker out there. I'm glad you got yours home in one piece. BTW - is your moniker an homage to Blutarski? That fine specimen of a human being in "Animal House"? I like it.

George - now I'm all confused. I've just been taking the mph readings and dividing them by 1.15 (or multiplying when they make me look tougher). Now you're throwing in all this squared stuff. Ouch. I guess I have to go buy a hummuna-hummuna-meter - or whatever. I'm so confused I can't even guess at the windspeed in your photo - maybe between 10 and 40? As for repair costs - ppphhhhttth. I've invested heavily in the stock market - so I'm currently swimming in cash.

Jody - sweet BFS video dude! I especially like the wine bottle at the helm (nothin' better than a hammered skipper I always say), the brats on the barbie, and the "knockdown" at the end. Great visual effects. I'll have to take it on faith that you had a "stern look" on your face since I couldn't really see much under that balaclava. And, man, don't ya just hate it when you post photo-evidence and people start pointing out (rightly so) all the stuff you're doing wrong. I don't know if you remember - but I got some of that myself in FC. It's great learning from real sailors ain't it!

Sailaway - dude, you are just one uptight contrarian. They give you pictures - and you still go on and on. Jeez.

Chuckles - great story, and great comeback on Sdog. Thanks for your service.

Sdog - did you see blt's photos of the race? Dude, that tri!

#373 · (Edited)
Back to the Photo-Happen Edict. As so clearly shown here by the likes of Sway and Cam - photos don't really matter anyway. If someone is bent on poo-pooing, they'll just poo-poo - evidence be damned. Just ask Sailhog.

So it seems that what's really required are photos from several angles (both on and off the boat), video (helicopter footage a plus), NOAA charts and reports, a CG swimming angel's eyewitness account and Hallmark card, a repair list with photo evidence of each broken part along with an FMC investigative report, and Photoshopping skils.

If you don't have all of these squared away and at the ready when requested by the Sailnet Jedi Council - don't even bother posting your "BFS" because it's nothing but MDB.

What is this anyway - SA?

#375 ·
Back to the Photo-Happen Edict. As so clearly shown here by the likes of Sway and Cam - photos don't really matter anyway. If someone is bent on poo-pooing, they'll just poo-poo - evidence be damned. Just ask Sailhog.

So it seems that what's really required are photos from several angles (both on and off the boat), video (helicopter footage a plus), NOAA charts and reports, a CG swimming angel's eyewitness account and Hallmark card, a repair list with photo evidence of each broken part along with an FMC investigative report, and Photoshopping skils.

If you don't have all of these squared away and at the ready when requested by the Sailnet Council - don't even bother posting your "BFS" because it's nothing but MDB.

What is this anyway - SA?
Nooooo, even fish stories make good listening sometimes.

#386 · (Edited)
George, I missed the question about wind speed during my photo. It was blowing 28 true and was about 34 apparent from the West along with leftover swells from the Strait so wave heights against the ebb were from 8-12'. We had the 150 furled to about 110 and a single reef in the Main while beating. Here's another pic or three:

We ended up blowing the 150 to shreds later that evening.

#388 ·
Except for the Grandson in the house getting seasick. He got better once we punched through this and around the corner at Cattle Pass and were able to dress ship a bit. It was a nice spin run to Friday Harbor after that when the wind went Southwesterly on flat water. All in all, a fun but pricey day.

#392 ·
Charlie - great pics! You've got one hardy crew there! Especially the little sweetie with the thousand-yard-stare. Very cool.

I love the sea slobber all over the lens! Definitely not a cheese-and-crackers jaunt.

Also, I like the "Yo son-in-law, go stand by the boom and I'll snap yer photo, as I loosen this sheet - and free my daughter." You conniving bastard!

Nice sail, man.

#394 ·
Charlie..I hope the differnces between you and your Son inlaw are solved, for the best of you daughter and your grand kids..nothing is sadder than a broken home...

Now..I run these programs where I straighten kids, by dragging them underwater at 10 knots....

Sending you an application now..

#399 · (Edited)
Here's a video off U-tube. The skipper estimated the seas to be 10-20 feet and can be heard doing so on the video. The guy at the helm is sitting. His feet are probably a foot or two above the water. That puts the top of his head 5 to 6 feet above the water. If you watch the horizon in the background, the waves look to be about even with the camera's view. So my estimate of the waves would be closer to 5 or 6 feet in the beginning of the video, maybe 7 when auto is driving. Just so we're comparing apples to apples, does anyone else estimate the waves much lower or higher than that?

#405 ·
I was hit by this hughe wave last year, 20 miles off the coast of Portugal, between Sines and Cascais...(+I can't find it now because I am not in my pc)..

It was really freaky..I saw it coming, filmed it and took a photo...

It hit us sideways, on at 90 degrees, took us up then down then almost flipped us over...

When I saw the video and the photo, I couldn't believe it...how small it was!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.