Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree224Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2009
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
I hear ya Marty. The forecast that day was 15-20 building to 25, NOT FREAKING 62!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-26-2009

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
I also just remembered, took me 4 yrs to put jack lines on my boat, and buy a safety tether! Most of us, generally speaking, are probably sailing in less than 15-20 knots of wind, generally speaking, reasonably protected waters. Some of the safety items are not always needed, like jack line, reefs depending upon you view of them being a safety or needed item for what ever reason.....

By the way PG, welcome to the water rats nest! of BFS! As you can tell, there is more than one way to skin a cat, tell a story, help you with what ails you. Hopefully those of us with the how too, vs the scolding, are helping, even the scolding ones are probably help full is some way shape or form. Not sure that SD is paid like Simon is to be negative tho!

Charlie,

where locally were you in less than 600' of water, much less only 400' of water?

Do you want a direct email for the fellow that is running the NW solo website? PM me.
marty
Old 03-26-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieCobra View Post
I hear ya Marty. The forecast that day was 15-20 building to 25, NOT FREAKING 62!
Is this the day you took Oh Joy home? I was out that day too, not too bad off of edmonds, but still was moving pretty good with a 110 and reefed main that day! I recall hitting 7 plus down wind.

marty
Old 03-26-2009

mrwuffles is on a distinguished road
Quote:
That's cool if you're not in 400' of water like we were...
Now if you practiced good seamanship you would have 1000' of chain on board and at least 4 anchors.
Old 03-26-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
According to the charts, that area is about 40' deep... anchoring would have been a pretty good option. If he had stopped before he got into the approach channel...there's plenty of areas he could have stopped at.

Quote:
That's cool if you're not in 400' of water like we were...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Last edited by sailingdog; 03-26-2009 at 10:39 PM.
Old 03-26-2009

bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about
15 feet deep? How do they get the commercial traffic in and out of the harbor? Does not make sense!

Never Forgotten

Old 03-26-2009

sailhog has a spectacular aura about sailhog has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubb2 View Post
15 feet deep? How do they get the commercial traffic in and out of the harbor? Does not make sense!
Soundings gotta be in fathoms on those charts.

How is that smokin' tranny, aka, Mike?

Last edited by sailhog; 03-26-2009 at 10:33 PM.
Old 03-26-2009

I was thinking fathoms too, but assuming SD went to the google/noaa online charts, at least my local area is in feet. then again, puget sound may be different than in the LA area, where fathoms would make more sense. I could not find the LA area scale etc to tell. Puget sound was listed as feet. I am not seeing a fathom vs feet listing on the google/noaa chart for the LA area.

marty
Old 03-26-2009

bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about
Good to hear from you, Hawg. I am doing OK. thanks for asking. And how is every thing with you?

by the way do you know what to use to put out a smokin' tranny!

A douche bag!

Never Forgotten

Old 03-26-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Bubb—

Sorry, my bad.. that's 15 fathoms... the other chart, when I zoomed in a bit further was marked in feet, but the one I have the screen shot of is in FATHOMS. Still, quite a few spots only 40 feet deep or so... which would be manageable to anchor in. And the shallow water habitat to the west of the channel just inside the break water is all 15-20' deep.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Last edited by sailingdog; 03-26-2009 at 10:44 PM.