Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree261Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2009

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
David,

I looked at Jody's yesterday, with a lot of work, I could have gotten it to work possibly, Along with the pin on his was about half the size of the one for my boat. i could look and see. There is a C30 on my dock. Altho a ride on xcentric could be fun.

Or I'll go to a regatta out of meydenbauer on a Islander 40. I think kids will probably go out there.

Either way, will be out sailing. Winds are looking really goofy for tomorrow. I've seen 25-35 around here, down to 10-20........The only constant is RAIN!

Marty
Old 03-27-2009
Apropos of Nothing

painkiller will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
That said, I have found that when it's blowing 40 with 18' waves - and you're towing warps and under bare poles - havin' 3 honey-s on the foredeck doing a major booty-shake helps keep the bow down so you can enjoy your tiparillo and Courvasier at the helm. Snoop sailin' baby.
Don't I know it. You may need 4 if you get some of them skinny-booty girls.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-27-2009

djodenda will become famous soon enough djodenda will become famous soon enough
Sailing on Xcentric should be fun in that wind. I'm sure they will appreciate having you aboard.

Good luck!

David

1987 CS 36 Merlin "Kyrie"

"They drove a dump truck full of money up to my house. I'm not made of stone!" -Krusty the Clown
Old 03-27-2009
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
... That said, I have found that when it's blowing 40 with 18' waves - and you're towing warps and under bare poles - havin' 3 honey-s on the foredeck doing a major booty-shake helps keep the bow down so you can enjoy your tiparillo and Courvasier at the helm. Snoop sailin' baby...
Pictures, Smack. We'll need pictures -- video would be better.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. .
. .
. .
. .
Old 03-27-2009
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Bene - baby, you know I would. But CD would have a true conniption. We must keep this thread suitable for the young-uns.

However, since most young people know nothing about this new-fangled web thingy called "YouTube" - go there and enter the following in the search to research the technique:

"step brothers rap video"

From that point - yer on yer own.
Old 03-27-2009
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Yo Tony - you nailed it dude. Starting to get readings of 30 knot gusts. Woo-hoo! Gonna be a nice weekend!
Old 03-27-2009
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
Ya been practicing with your traveler techniques? Yer gonna need 'em...
Old 03-27-2009
STARBOARD!!

KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough
OK here is my BFS contribution; it's not a "story" it's the truth as I still recall it like it was yesterday. About 3 years ago now I was buying my boat, a C&C designed Newport 41. The sea trial got moved up a few days and an acquaintance that owned one who had agreed to go could not make it out with us. Needless to say the sea trial was very short because the broker knew little to nothing about sailing; the surveyor was inattentive (he had agreed to crew) and my GF who had never been on a sailboat was scared by the heeling (we never heeled more than 15-20 degrees). But even though the sea trial was crappy I could tell that the boat sailed nicely and would be much better when "properly" sailed. Now let's get to the BFS story; this was the prelude.

So I chatted with the owner/acquaintance who was going to go on the sea-trial with us. He said that he would be taking another N-41 owner from Louisiana out in a couple of days and we were welcome to go out with them. The forecasts looked good but as the day approached the wind forecasts were building into SCA/Gale for the day we were going. I called to ask if they were going to re-consider and he said no; but be prepared for some aggressive sailing and if my GF was going to be afraid that she should stay ashore. I asked her a second time if she would want to stay in and she insisted that she wanted to go and she would be OK.

So the day arrives and we head out in the early afternoon; set the 1'st reef in as we are leaving the harbor and head up the Richmond channel to SF Bay. As we are headed up the harbor channel the wind is already 20-25kts and the boat is heeled ~25 degrees. My GF seems fine since everyone else is un-concerned she figures everything is OK. I climbed up to to take a seat on the rail and check out the view. As we exit the breakwater the wind began building further so I come back down into the cockpit to find some shelter behind the dodger and out of the cold wind. So now the boat is really taking a heel; we are all bracing ourselves by stepping on the starboard cockpit wall; the starboard rail is fully submerged and I'm thinking WOW this boat is really taking on some heavy wind nicely. I'd say the wind was up around 30kts as we tacked into Raccoon Strait.

I figured that we would be sailing in about the same wind conditions for the rest of our sail; but boy was I mistaken! As we exited Raccoon Strait the wind really piped up! We were out between Angel Island and Alcatraz and the wind must have been up between 35-45kts. The boat was heeled so far over that we were literally standing on the side wall of the cockpit; I'd say we were 60 degrees, maybe more. The owner from Louisiana was at the helm and he was screaming WOO-HOO the entire time because they never get that kind of wind in clear conditions. I was feeling uncomfortable but not scared yet; and I was also glad to see what kind of conditions a boat like the one I was about to buy could "handle". My GF was completely oblivious to the "fear factor" since nobody seemed the least bit worried; including the owner. Did I forget to mention that the portlights on the doghouse were submerged?

So we complete 2 tacks across "The Slot" then head downwind. As we sailed downwind the boat was hitting 8 kts; lightly surfing on the 4' rolling waves as we sail down the SF Cityfront. As we headed around the backside of Yerba Buena Island the wind died. We actually had to motor for a bit to get around it and back into the wind.

So as we are sailing behind Treasure Island the owner offers me the helm and I take the boat from TI back to Richmond. Since the wind had dropped I figured that it would be an easier lighter sail back up to the marina; NOT!! As soon as we were out of the shelter of TI the wind from The Gate was back up into the 30-35kt range and off we went on a screaming (I mean SCREAMING) reach back across the central bay. The wind and chop was so heavy I was steering frantically to keep the boat going in a straight line as we'd take a gust and get rounded down or go into a trough of the 4-6' chop and start rounding up. The boat sliced through that chop like it was hot butta. We hit 9.5 kts; remember the boat has a reefed main and we were flying a 100% jib. We were getting green water shots across the bow and spray back into the cockpit. At the helm I was catching the spray now and then; remember I'm about 40' from where the waves are hitting. At one point we were heeling over about 30deg on this beam reach; so a slight spill of the main and the boat was up on her feet again and the building stiffness of the helm eased.

After that sail I knew I had made the right choice for my boat and it still remains as the heaviest wind conditions/BFS I have been out in. We've had other heavy air days but have never sailed as aggressively as we did that day on Quincy's boat. It was a BFS that I'll never forget.
Old 03-27-2009
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
Days like that are etched forever... I love 'em!
Old 03-27-2009

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
KH,

have to agree with charlie. Days like that are etched for whatever reason in our minds. You got one of those days where everyone was stoked, having fun, nothing major happened wrong! Just plain fun! Kinda like 2 saturdays ago for me, well, at least until the oops, and the boom boom accident.

Oh well, no one complained about the motor into 3-5' waves home, we were still smiling remembering the 11+ knot surf down a wave in my 30'r. A sail all four of us will remember. This is what BFS is about! Taking the bad days as PG mentioned yesterday, asking how to fix the issues, and having a good day later, that all will remember, and push the bad days to the black matter of our brain!

Thanks for writing.

marty