Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree323Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2009
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Keel - AWESOME BFS, dude! Now, are most people like me, where they get butterflies when reading stuff like this?? I like the illustration of how cool heads are infectious - despite what are pretty stiff conditions. And a skipper that decides SCA/Gale conditions are just fine...for a SEA TRIAL!!! Yeah, baby! Great story.

Tony - how was Saturday? Looks like it got up to 35 knots out there. We were out on Sunday (BTW - below is a pic of our main #2079 so either you can find us on a weekend - or avoid us like the plague). Winds were just about PERFECT as far as I'm concerned - blowing a steady 15-20 with frequent 25 gusts. We had the full main and 170 genny up and had a freakin' blast!

Was there another regatta on Sunday? There were tons of boats in the channel at around 2. I was noticing a few tris flying spins and they were just screamin'! And there were several other monos that were heeled way the hell over - almost to a broach. I couldn't tell what kind of boats they were, but I was surprised they were pushed so far over. With all the sail we had up - we were staying pretty solid. Must be Charlie's instruction paying off.

We also practiced MOB and heaving to using Giu's technique. It's rock solid. I feel pretty confident now about that. Now I just need to get the reefing thing squared away.

Last edited by smackdaddy; 02-02-2010 at 03:52 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-30-2009
not-so-old salt

tonybinTX is on a distinguished road
Smack - The long distance regatta was Saturday. Sunday was a club spring series race and that was the reason for all the boats. We were out both days.

Saturday we raced on a beneteau 36.7 in spin A fleet, but never launched the chute. Saw one gust top 40kts and the boat owner didn't have a heavy air chute. Excitement for the day - We got pinned over at one point while trying to duck a melges 24. The main sheet got stuck and we couldn't depower - we were heading for a t-bone at 8 kts but were able to dump the main just before hitting them. They had to alter course so we did our turn and kept going. The crew on the melges had a rough day. Later in the race, we saw them get rounded up and a crew member went in the water. They pulled him back in and then a few miles later their chute was ripped to shreds.

The J80's all launched their kites and took the race - they got up on plane and just walked away.

Sunday we took another couple out for a birthday cruise. We went up Sandy Creek to Cafe Blue for a late lunch, then back to the marina. Forecast winds were about 10-20, but we saw a few gusts top 30. Our tender Hunter 31 got quite the workout! Had to put in a reef on the main and the 135 to keep from rounding up...I know -- against the BFS code, but we were hitting hull speed even with the reefs!
Old 03-30-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Looks like you need to tighten up on the main halyard... a lot of wrinkles in that main's luff.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-30-2009
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Looks like you need to tighten up on the main halyard... a lot of wrinkles in that main's luff.

Dude - chill. That main is older than you are - and we've busted a couple of cars sailing like mad men. However, just for you, I'll have my wife iron it this week with extra starch - then reshoot. Where does the crease go again in a main for a C27?

Jeez - Mr. Critical.
Old 03-30-2009
Last Man Standing

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonybinTX View Post
Smack - The long distance regatta was Saturday. Sunday was a club spring series race and that was the reason for all the boats. We were out both days.

Saturday we raced on a beneteau 36.7 in spin A fleet, but never launched the chute. Saw one gust top 40kts and the boat owner didn't have a heavy air chute. Excitement for the day - We got pinned over at one point while trying to duck a melges 24. The main sheet got stuck and we couldn't depower - we were heading for a t-bone at 8 kts but were able to dump the main just before hitting them. They had to alter course so we did our turn and kept going. The crew on the melges had a rough day. Later in the race, we saw them get rounded up and a crew member went in the water. They pulled him back in and then a few miles later their chute was ripped to shreds.

The J80's all launched their kites and took the race - they got up on plane and just walked away.

Sunday we took another couple out for a birthday cruise. We went up Sandy Creek to Cafe Blue for a late lunch, then back to the marina. Forecast winds were about 10-20, but we saw a few gusts top 30. Our tender Hunter 31 got quite the workout! Had to put in a reef on the main and the 135 to keep from rounding up...I know -- against the BFS code, but we were hitting hull speed even with the reefs!
Sounds sweet, Tony! Did you get any pics?

BTW - for clarification - reefing, in and of itself, is definitely not against the BFS Code of Conduct, bro! Reefing in 10 knots or deciding it's too windy at 20 - that's the sin. Reefing to KEEP SAILING IN 30+ - THAT'S BFS!

So you guys pinned a Bene???? Whoa! If I'm gonna t-bone an M-24, I definitely like that extra 12 feet.

We were hitting 7-8 knots SOG as well on Sunday. Ahh - nothing better than wimpy lake sailing!
Old 03-30-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Smack—

I'm not being critical... I'm pointing out that when you're sailing in heavier winds, you need to have the main halyard tensioned a bit better than that. Regardless of the age of the sail, you've got insufficient halyard tension on it...and you're going to have a much fuller sail, and heel far more than you would if the halyard was properly tensioned. If you're too immature to take this as the good advice it was intended, that's just too damn bad. Grow up, would you.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-30-2009
not-so-old salt

tonybinTX is on a distinguished road
Good to know I didn't violate any rules.

The helmet cam was operational. Still going through the vid - will post any goodies later today.
Old 03-30-2009
Last Man Standing

Heh-heh. Can't wait.
Old 03-30-2009

CBinRI is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeelHaulin View Post
OK here is my BFS contribution; it's not a "story" it's the truth as I still recall it like it was yesterday. About 3 years ago now I was buying my boat, a C&C designed Newport 41. The sea trial got moved up a few days and an acquaintance that owned one who had agreed to go could not make it out with us. Needless to say the sea trial was very short because the broker knew little to nothing about sailing; the surveyor was inattentive (he had agreed to crew) and my GF who had never been on a sailboat was scared by the heeling (we never heeled more than 15-20 degrees). But even though the sea trial was crappy I could tell that the boat sailed nicely and would be much better when "properly" sailed. Now let's get to the BFS story; this was the prelude.

So I chatted with the owner/acquaintance who was going to go on the sea-trial with us. He said that he would be taking another N-41 owner from Louisiana out in a couple of days and we were welcome to go out with them. The forecasts looked good but as the day approached the wind forecasts were building into SCA/Gale for the day we were going. I called to ask if they were going to re-consider and he said no; but be prepared for some aggressive sailing and if my GF was going to be afraid that she should stay ashore. I asked her a second time if she would want to stay in and she insisted that she wanted to go and she would be OK.

So the day arrives and we head out in the early afternoon; set the 1'st reef in as we are leaving the harbor and head up the Richmond channel to SF Bay. As we are headed up the harbor channel the wind is already 20-25kts and the boat is heeled ~25 degrees. My GF seems fine since everyone else is un-concerned she figures everything is OK. I climbed up to to take a seat on the rail and check out the view. As we exit the breakwater the wind began building further so I come back down into the cockpit to find some shelter behind the dodger and out of the cold wind. So now the boat is really taking a heel; we are all bracing ourselves by stepping on the starboard cockpit wall; the starboard rail is fully submerged and I'm thinking WOW this boat is really taking on some heavy wind nicely. I'd say the wind was up around 30kts as we tacked into Raccoon Strait.

I figured that we would be sailing in about the same wind conditions for the rest of our sail; but boy was I mistaken! As we exited Raccoon Strait the wind really piped up! We were out between Angel Island and Alcatraz and the wind must have been up between 35-45kts. The boat was heeled so far over that we were literally standing on the side wall of the cockpit; I'd say we were 60 degrees, maybe more. The owner from Louisiana was at the helm and he was screaming WOO-HOO the entire time because they never get that kind of wind in clear conditions. I was feeling uncomfortable but not scared yet; and I was also glad to see what kind of conditions a boat like the one I was about to buy could "handle". My GF was completely oblivious to the "fear factor" since nobody seemed the least bit worried; including the owner. Did I forget to mention that the portlights on the doghouse were submerged?

So we complete 2 tacks across "The Slot" then head downwind. As we sailed downwind the boat was hitting 8 kts; lightly surfing on the 4' rolling waves as we sail down the SF Cityfront. As we headed around the backside of Yerba Buena Island the wind died. We actually had to motor for a bit to get around it and back into the wind.

So as we are sailing behind Treasure Island the owner offers me the helm and I take the boat from TI back to Richmond. Since the wind had dropped I figured that it would be an easier lighter sail back up to the marina; NOT!! As soon as we were out of the shelter of TI the wind from The Gate was back up into the 30-35kt range and off we went on a screaming (I mean SCREAMING) reach back across the central bay. The wind and chop was so heavy I was steering frantically to keep the boat going in a straight line as we'd take a gust and get rounded down or go into a trough of the 4-6' chop and start rounding up. The boat sliced through that chop like it was hot butta. We hit 9.5 kts; remember the boat has a reefed main and we were flying a 100% jib. We were getting green water shots across the bow and spray back into the cockpit. At the helm I was catching the spray now and then; remember I'm about 40' from where the waves are hitting. At one point we were heeling over about 30deg on this beam reach; so a slight spill of the main and the boat was up on her feet again and the building stiffness of the helm eased.

After that sail I knew I had made the right choice for my boat and it still remains as the heaviest wind conditions/BFS I have been out in. We've had other heavy air days but have never sailed as aggressively as we did that day on Quincy's boat. It was a BFS that I'll never forget.
Sounds like great fun. And the GF may be a keeper.
Old 03-30-2009
not Sully or Dandelion

MorganPaul is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
I agree. Who hauled up the main? Churchlady?

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.