Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree264Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
A cunningham is one of the less expensive pieces of gear to buy and install, especially if the sail already has a cringle for it. The cunningham cringle is usually about a foot or two from the bottom of the sail.

Most cunninghams are a simple block and tackle with either a hook or a pigtail that goes through the cunningham cringle with the other end attached to either a padeye on the mast, mast step or deck.

This allows you to pull down on the cunningham cringle to flatten the sail. Of course, you could do the same thing with the main halyard, but this allows you a bit finer control over the main sail shape without touching the halyard. So you use the halyard to set the basic overall shape of the sail and the cunningham to fine tune it.

Of course, you have to have the main sail halyard reasonably tight to begin with, otherwise the cunningham will be ineffective. For instance, it probably wouldn't help on a sail that looks like this:

since, there's obviously more slack in the halyard than there is room to adjust the cunningham.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mc51 View Post
By the way I've never used a cunningham either. But I'm thinking I might try it this year. Are they expensive? I'm a poor man with a love of a rich man's sport!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Last edited by sailingdog; 04-03-2009 at 05:15 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-03-2009

chall03 will become famous soon enough
Smack, if all else fails maybe you could get church lady to take to it with the steam iron??

'Life is either a daring adventure or nothing' - Helen Keller

Old 04-03-2009

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
How often do we get a chance to smack SMACK!

Mc51.

Assuming as dog says, you have a cringle for the cunningham, you can rig one up for less than $20-50. Most marine stores have a cuningham cringle you can buy for 10-15. Then some 3/16-1/4" line you probably have on your boat somewhere. a block(s) to return to the cabin top if you want to control from there, and you're on your way. I have a single pulley to allow me to have a 2-1. I also have cabin top winch's if things get really tough.

Marty
Old 04-03-2009
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Hey MC - watch Giu's video on the halyard/cunningham in the How-To section. It's actually pretty good if you can stay awake.

Although, according to him, with such a flaccid luff, my draft should be much farther forward in the sail. Therefore, I think the real take-away from all this is that the photo obviously shows what a master of sail trim and helming I am to be able to keep the draft centered in the main in such conditions.
Old 04-03-2009

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
if you can stay awake.
That happens a lot, when your attention span is equal to a dung beetle, and your understanding of the thing is almost nil....Fred was pretty awake in all of them..

But again...just like with a TV, there is an off button...if they make you sleep, don't watch them...
Old 04-03-2009
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Dude - just kidding. They're great. Every time I watch them I understand a bit more. When are you going to put up the one about the Duck Knee adjustment?

Love,

The Dung Beetle
Old 04-03-2009

Mc51 is on a distinguished road
If a cringle is a reinforced grommet, my main has one about 1 foot above the boom near the mast and I have plenty of extra single blocks that I can attach at the step. Using one of the winches and cleats on the cabin top would be no problem. I'll try it the next time we're out with good wind.

Warhorse
1971 Cal25 Hull #19
Old 04-03-2009

quidam1947 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to quidam1947
Hey Smack,

You should invest in one of these...
Wrinkle-free Portable Steamer by Innovage $24.99 - Overstock.com

Removes wrinkles and cleans mold-n-mildew from condensation build-up in your boat and takes care of those pesky and other stains from your tighty-whities when you're all safe-n-snuggly back at the dock from the BFS you just took on.

Old 04-03-2009

GeorgeB is on a distinguished road
Did some log updating today and found that we’ve logged just over 200 nm for the first three months this year and the Vallejo Season Opener is still a month away! No silver yet, but we are doing much tougher races this year. Here is a shot of us in the Double Handed Lightship race. Yeehaa! Winds sustained in the low twenties and swells running 5 – 7 feet.

Old 04-03-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
ROFLMAO... nicely played..
Quote:
Originally Posted by quidam1947 View Post
Hey Smack,

You should invest in one of these...
Wrinkle-free Portable Steamer by Innovage $24.99 - Overstock.com

Removes wrinkles and cleans mold-n-mildew from condensation build-up in your boat and takes care of those pesky and other stains from your tighty-whities when you're all safe-n-snuggly back at the dock from the BFS you just took on.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.