Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree323Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2009
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
George - YOU ARE THE MAN! I really want to hear about that DHF race when you get the time.

I can't wait to crew for you on Freya. She is definitely a SFB. Maybe some time in August when it's actually kind of warm there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-03-2009

twinsdad is on a distinguished road
Cunningham

Mc,

You are not going to need a winch for the cunningham. The load is not nearly as great as other lines on your boat. Hand tightening on a properly designed cunningham will be more than sufficient. You probably only need a small cam cleat as part of the rig. Typically, the lines are much narrower than a halyard or sheet.
Old 04-04-2009
STARBOARD!!

KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Maybe some time in August when it's actually kind of warm there?
Actually Mid-April/Late May and Mid-September/Mid November are the warmest times for SF Bay. Summer Months June-August tend to bring fog in although on clear days the wind may be a bit warmer with rare days of moderate/light wind and sun. Offshore winds are generally light during summer months and if the fog is pushed offshore by high pressure it is warm but without much wind outside of the SF Gate. It's either nasty cold/windy/foggy weather or sunny and no wind (it seems) out there...
Old 04-04-2009

twinsdad is on a distinguished road
SF summer

Remember what Mark Twain said: "The coldest winter I ever spent was summer in San Francisco."
Old 04-04-2009
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough
ANd Mark Twain also said this:

[Aboard ships]:...the world is far, far away; it has ceased to exist for you--seemed a fading dream, along in the first days; has dissolved to an unreality now; it is gone from your mind with all its businesses and ambitions, its prosperities and disasters, its exultations and despairs, its joys and griefs and cares and worries. They are no concern of yours any more; they have gone out of your life; they are a storm which has passed and left a deep calm behind.
- Following the Equator
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people.
The best minds discuss sailing. I don't know why. It's a mystery!
Old 04-06-2009
not-so-old salt

tonybinTX is on a distinguished road
BFS photos

From the Long distance regatta mentioned last week. None of our videos were that great. Photos below:

Here's the guy in the Melges 24 and what's left of his chute:

One of us:

A great shot of the j80's and j105. 80's were planing most of the day.

Last edited by tonybinTX; 04-06-2009 at 07:32 PM. Reason: photo help
Old 04-06-2009
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Tony - those are awesome pics dude! Man it's good see some spankin' on that lake of ours!

Is that Bene pretty fast?
Old 04-06-2009

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
YouTube - Blakely Rocks Benefit 2009

last weekend BFS here on the sound!:laugh er

Marty
Old 04-07-2009
not-so-old salt

tonybinTX is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Tony - those are awesome pics dude! Man it's good see some spankin' on that lake of ours!

Is that Bene pretty fast?
It's a sweet ride for sure and the owner takes great care of her. We hit 8kts with the genny on the downwinds, but were no match for those j80's. We had to give them time and they all beat us boat for boat.
Old 04-07-2009
Last Man Standing

Dudley survives a spanker! Finally, something respectable from the Gulfies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmdudley7 View Post
Well well what a great 2 days of sailing we had, camped out on boat Saturday night on Matagorda bay, about 20 miles out, just short of the BIG jetties. We were about 3 miles from homeport headin in, when out of nowhere, and I do mean nowhere, northern front moved in and... I will tell you, it was a matter of 5 minutes or less, winds were 20-30 knots out of north. We did have a frontal system moving in , but wasnt forecast to arrive until 6 pm Sunday (this was at noon Sunday). It had different plans for us.
Beautiful skies, no cigar clouds approaching, a slight north wind that put us close hauled flying full sail and 130 jib at a blazing speed of 2-3 knots. We did not have time to douse the sails, BELIEVE me it does happen, all did within 5 minutes.. So here we were, mainsheet all the way out, main luffing wildly, jib was about to be ripped to shreds. had a very hard time furling jib in, but got it in first. (and jib did not get furled tight due to windy conditions,, will get to that part in a minute..hahaha). Now We had to get the main down, when all of a sudden my rudder swung over hard and snapped the radial stop on bottom of it, making the cable fall free from slot in radial.. NO WHEEL STEERING!!! AND the main was still up. I got the emergency tiller out and scrambled to keep boat heading into wind to no avail.. main sheet was all the way out , we heeled over at least 45 degrees and I looked at my wife and bro in law, my eyes were saying, "whether ya'll want to or not, we are gonna go swimmin'... BTW my bro in law is a stink potter, and wife is a newbie to sailing. I have sailed for 25 + years on and off, between wives, hahahahaha. ( newleyweds here) So anyways, Bro in law has to help me keeping bow headed up with tiller. We get it under into the wind, I tell them to lower the main. Well They did open up the retaining cleat from the lever being down to it being up, but they could not budge the main down at all. DUH... I had them come back to stern and I knew what the problem was,, The cam lever was not released all the way down So I had Gene (BRO IN LAW) take the wheel and I went and fully unlock the mainsheet. And lowered the main (very poorly due to gusts) of course. tried to motor, but the steering down to emergency tiller we couldnt keep headed up. So I decide kill the motor, drop the anchor, and ride it out.. This was about 1 pm now. laid out 75 feet of rode, it held well (mind you, bay is only 12 feet deep at highest at high tide. So I knew we had good rode.. So we decide to just ride it out, and low and behold the Jib started to unfurl.. Talk about a ride,, I went to bow and took me 1/2 hour to get jib tied back in place. Went back to tiller and tied it to aft cleats to keep it centered. Hour later the jib broke loose again. I always wondered why the previous owner, had all these bags of duct tape onboard?? So I get on bow again and 1/2 hour later I get it taped to roller furler. As I was finishing up jib, Gene greets me on the bow sliding on his butt, HANDING me a LIFE JACKET.. Yes I was dumb enough to go topside in 6-8 chop and 45 knot winds without a lifejacket. And yes I almost fell overboard twice.. My mistake,, VERY stoopid. Ya'll can chew me out good for that mistake I need it.!!!!!.. So anywaysssssssssss...
We were just sitting and riding it out, SNAP.... goes the anchor rope.. right after the telescoping boat hook goes overboard, Drifting towards 3 feet of shell shoal.... I say.. YANMAR dont let me down now.. Fired it up and made a record speed of 2 knots into 45 knot wind @ 2800 rpm. Yep the hunter 28 did good. problem now was my sunbrella/bimini, was HANGING 10 so to speak. We got the cover off and was heading home at 2 knots. Finally about 6 pm we pull into harbor, and were greeted at slip by 3-4 people, 1 of which as always has to be a smartass and say something like.." didnt ya'll watch the weather reports,?????" Typical know it all... I was gonna answer him and say.. " nope sure didnt !! We are just ole country hillbillies and cant even spell weather radio, cant watch the weather news cause we aint got no tv, heck we aint even got indoor plumbin'." But I guess my bro in law knows me well enuff to say " MARK lets go home" haha The other couple that greetd us was sporting a handheld, digital Wind meter. He showed me gusts ONSHORE of 46 knots. Needless to say we survived the stuff and I am very confident of the boat. I may question my self though on the life vest thing though. The boat looks like we were testing missles, inside and out at the dock where she sits today. (will tidy up tommorrow after resting today) So in summation, May I offer these few tips I have learned.
* Always grab the vest
* Lower canvas and lower early, ( it did gust, no warning , in 5 minutes)
* Chafe.... Anchor rope was riding on toe-rail. Carry rubber hose for chafe
* I guess give yourself 4-6 hours leeway on forecast fronts
* Teach your crew the sheets, etc what they do etc..
BTW on the radio, there was 3 PAN PANs' issued, 1 by a capsised CAT, another by a 23' stink pot taking on water, grounded at the rock jetties, and another was just concerned about their status in the gusts. So we werent alone. Hope they all made it in safe. thanks for letting me share this with ya'll on this VERY good forum
Mark and Karen
Palacios Texas
Hunter 28
"KAREN MARIE"

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.