Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree224Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2009
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Nnnnnnoooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-15-2009

mrwuffles is on a distinguished road
Hey smack I am in the multi world also....water is at 50 degrees here! once it breaks 65 I'll be in business cant wait for a Hobie BFS!
Old 04-15-2009
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough
MrWuffles, with all due respoect, you keep saying that. It's time to get a wetsuit on and get her out there. Heck, Lucas and I have surfed in the ocean in mid April - and me without a wetsuit.

So get out there already.

Of course, don't let it get in the way of your studying. Show us some Big Freakin' Studying/Grades.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. .
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. .
Old 04-15-2009
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwuffles View Post
Hey smack I am in the multi world also....water is at 50 degrees here! once it breaks 65 I'll be in business cant wait for a Hobie BFS!
A hundred bucks cash money if I hear Dog complaining in a few weeks about some Eastie kid mooning him while flying a hull and blowing past his Telstar!
Old 04-15-2009

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
I'd luv it if the water were 50F around here. 43-45 24/7/365.25! 50F would be warm!

SO quit your beeching folks, get out there and sail! whom cares about the icebergs etc. Just do it!
Old 04-15-2009

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
I'm sailing next week...be back home....

Last time I was on shorts and T shirt!! making spinnaker videos!!
Old 04-15-2009

mrwuffles is on a distinguished road
[QUOTE=Bene505;475857]MrWuffles, with all due respoect, you keep saying that. It's time to get a wetsuit on and get her out there. Heck, Lucas and I have surfed in the ocean in mid April - and me without a wetsuit.

So get out there already.

Of course, don't let it get in the way of your studying. Show us some Big Freakin' Studying/Grades.[/QUOTE

Ill see, maybe I'll dig out my dads suit soon....smacky I'll see what I can do.
Old 04-26-2009
Last Man Standing

Ahhhh - what a beauty of a weekend. Yes, the world may be going to hell in a handbasket with a global depression, a flu pandemic, and The White Stripes refusing to get back together - but, hey, we've got sailing.

Finally took the family out for an overnighter. And it was awesome. Yesterday we started with a steady 20 with gusts to 30 - and were completely overpowered with our 170 and full main. Smackmutha was at the helm and got to experience a couple of broaches before I heard Caleb's/Jody's voices in my head telling me that there was no shame in maybe one little reef. However, she was smiling ear to ear and throwin' down the "yeehaw" as we were laying over 45 degrees. I love that woman.

After crankin' down a reef in the main, we kept powering through for another few hours as the wind built a bit more. It was howlin! But the "Smacktanic" ate it up and whole family did really well.

We anchored for the night at a small island that had a really crappy anchorage - a shallow shelf of mud on the sheltered side of the island that dropped off a couple of hundred feet about 40 feet from shore. We finally got the anchor to bite on the shelf - but with the wind still blowin' 20+ I didn't trust it. So instead of pulling up and looking for a better place - I slammed a shot of rum, put a dive knife in my teeth, tied a line to my ankle and swam for it (a tiny bit of embellishment there). Tied the line off to a stump on the island and swam back - peeing the whole way. Hey, c'mon, who doesn't?

Anyway, then my 8 year old punk of a son wouldn't let down the ladder. I can still hear his voice..."Whatcha gonna do now Smackdaddy? Huh? Water cold? Why are your lips blue?" It was like having a cloned Sailingdog midget in my cockpit.

We fired up the bbq and grilled some stupid tasty filet-migs in honor of CD, polished off a couple D&Ss and watched the sun set. Then it immediately started blowing and raining like stink again as we bedded down. Hearing the wind in the rigging all night (barely audible over my 5-yo's incessant snoring) made me appreciate a bit more how scary it would be to be caught in a storm at night. Kudos to you dudes that have been through it.

Checked the anchorage several times during the night - not on a schedule or anything like a true seaman would - just when I woke up in a cold sweat thinking we were drifting toward the abyss known as "Carlos and Charlies".

This morning was like freakin' Seattle...cold, rainy, and STILL blowing 30 knots! The anchoring held. But I realized I had another swim ahead of me. Either that or cut the lines...and I'm way too cheap to do that. Did the deed - threatened my 8-yo with bodily harm if he pulled the ladder stunt again - and re-boarded.

Now - to show you guys how cool of a wife I have - Smackmutha was weighing the anchor on the bow. She kept saying how heavy it was - and I kept saying "Aaaaaa...suck it up woman!" (quoting TJK) as I dried off with a used napkin and fought off hypothermia. She sucked it up alright - then pulled the anchor to the surface - STILL CONNECTED TO A HUGE FREAKIN' TREE STUMP! What a monster that chick is...all 108 pounds of her! Did I mention that I love that woman?

We tied off the mess and finally got the rhode and chain unwrapped from the stump and motored on in.

This has to be some kind of sailing threshold we just crossed. No epic sailing per se - but definitely an epic weekend for us. And we can now officially say we're no longer just day sailors.

Sailing freakin' rocks. No doubt.

Last edited by smackdaddy; 04-26-2009 at 04:19 PM.
Old 04-26-2009
Banned

Tartan53a1 is on a distinguished road
YES!!

Smackdaddy...you're the king of BFS..show these losers what sailing is all about!!

Love you!!

Go...dude..go....
Old 04-26-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Anyway, then my 8 year old punk of a son wouldn't let down the ladder. I can still hear his voice..."Whatcha gonna do now Smackdaddy? Huh? Water cold? Why are your lips blue?" It was like having a cloned Sailingdog midget in my cockpit.
Nah... I would have peed on your head...

Quote:
We fired up the bbq and grilled some stupid tasty filet-migs in honor of CD, polished off a couple D&Ss and watched the sun set. Then it immediately started blowing and raining like stink again as we bedded down. Hearing the wind in the rigging all night (barely audible over my 5-yo's incessant snoring) made me appreciate a bit more how scary it would be to be caught in a storm at night. Kudos to you dudes that have been through it.
Explains why the missus was actually sailing the boat.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

óCpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

StillóDON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.