Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree233Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2009
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Here's another great BFS from StAnna (from the HWS thread):

Quote:
Originally Posted by St Anna View Post
OK Smacker,

A couple of days in heaven. A place called Pearl Bay, then a quiet sail with drifters to a rocky island called Hexham. The forecast said that in about 3 days, a trough was going to pass over and we could expect northerlies. I thought, this is cool - well be long gone in when they hit.

Well it went from picture perfect of 10 kn SE, anchored in a rocky bay on the N side of the island to 35kn gusting 45kn N -NW at 1 am. Surf coming in the bay. We sat up on anchor watch, the bow dropping under each wave. We werent dragging, so we stayed put. At about 6.30 am, when their was enough light to see, we decided to move.

I pulled up the anchor and apparenty the surf was boiling around my waist in each trough. Anyway, we got out of the bay and could only beat to the NE under 3rd reef in main and 8' of genny out. The swells were about 3-4 m high but coming in from NE and NW. They either sort of cancelled out or added up together and 3 times, we fell into the trough, the deck under green, white water hitting the doghouse. The breeze was over 40kn , gusting higher.

St. Anna just pulled free. water got in through the dorades, but not much in the cockpit and the washbourds were up. We were harnessed on. Another step in the learning curve where I (Mr Intelligence) put myself somewhere and the boat got us out!! Next anchorage was a dream place just up the road called Middle Percy Island (google it)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-27-2009
Ex Member

ste27 is on a distinguished road
Sounds like an interesting trip.. but dude, a 170??? Do you actually manage to go to weather with that thing?
Old 04-27-2009
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Heh-heh, yeah it's kind of super-overkill. But CharlieCobra busted my 110 beatin' down a regatta on New Year's Day...the bastard. So the 170 (hank on) is all I have right now. I'll get another 110 soon.

I do have to say, though, that the C27 can definitely point and shoot. Even CC was impressed.

PS - I just noticed another Tartan sank. Banned in 10? Respect.

Last edited by smackdaddy; 04-27-2009 at 10:46 AM.
Old 04-27-2009
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
See my Old Shoe thread for the reason...

It looked like a driveby from some sockpuppet from stuffim...
Old 04-27-2009

bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
PS - I just noticed another Tartan sank. Banned in 10? Respect.

If it takes you 10 posts to get banned you are not really trying.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Never Forgotten

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-29-2009
Last Man Standing

now that's some sail

What - 40+ knots? And look at all that sail.

Stones, man. Stones.

Also - check out the bend in that mast. Yowza!

Last edited by smackdaddy; 12-01-2009 at 04:15 PM.
Old 04-29-2009
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
They've got those runners cranked tight.
Old 04-29-2009

GeorgeB is on a distinguished road
What’s the story behind the picture? Man, that boat is loaded up and hauling fast freight! And you were all lathered up about drogues and sea anchors. The answer is right in front of you – foot off and crank on another sail! I Charlie – I wonder if they even have their runners set with a bow like that. Conversation amongst the afterguard: “Say Butch, does the stick look a little out of column to you too?” Had a shackle fail on a loaded runner once. It released like a rifle shot and it wasn’t hardly loaded up at all.
Old 04-29-2009
Last Man Standing

What are runners? And about the whole drogue/anchor thing - I was just trying to appear prudent. Complete sham.

What do you guys think the conditions are in the photo? Don't know the story behind it BTW - just came across it and cried.
Old 04-29-2009

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Smack,

SWAG here, blowing 30+, they have a single reef, 110 an a smallish what some would call a cheater spin up. IE the spin is just above the fractional rigged jib area, vs some fractional boats will put up a masthead spin that would be double to maybe 50% bigger than what they are flying. SPeed, mid teens to low 20's possible.

I can not tell the type of boat, but a more recent design that is IRC oriented. Mid 40-50' long would be my guess.

Marty