Big Freakin' Sails - Page 13 - SailNet Community

   Search Sailnet:

 forums  store  


Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here






Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 


Like Tree323Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #121  
Old 09-26-2008
craigtoo's Avatar
Barkeep - Sailor's Pub
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Magothy River, MD
Posts: 1,946
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 9
craigtoo will become famous soon enough craigtoo will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to craigtoo Send a message via Yahoo to craigtoo Send a message via Skype™ to craigtoo
[QUOTE=painkiller;374975]Here's my best BFS video. Things got pretty crazy towards the end.

QUOTE]

Absolutely.. RIVETING...

Loved it.


Thanks
__________________
-C2
1987 Sabre 34 "Saoirse"
Meet me at the
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



I love
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
  #122  
Old 09-26-2008
Owner, Green Bay Packers
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: SW Michigan
Posts: 10,318
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 12
sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
[QUOTE=craigtoo;375141]
Quote:
Originally Posted by painkiller View Post
Here's my best BFS video. Things got pretty crazy towards the end.

QUOTE]

Absolutely.. RIVETING...

Loved it.


Thanks
We are watching the same video or did I just miss a tongue in cheek comment?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
  #123  
Old 09-26-2008
.
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 10,851
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 13
Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Pain..by the mast, there is a rope, normally has colours...it goes up the mast, then down..if you pull it down, the big white cloth goes up...Pull as hard as you can, till the cloth is all up there...

Next there should be another rope, that unrolls the other cloth at the front...

Then on the extremity there is another rope that is divided in two..yes you guessed it..one on each side of the mast...

Try to put the boat sideways to the wind...if you look up the mast there is a liitle arrow that tells you where the wind is coming from..

Pull on the rope of the fron cloth, on the side opposite from where the wind is blowing....now, over your head, there is a metal tube, attached to it, halfway thru there is another rope..try to center the metal tube with the boat..not too tight...

See??? the boat is now moving....stop the engine...

We call that sailing...try it...you will like it...

PS..next time, make sure you call at least one or two marinas in your path....and buy the lights too...

Good luck....

PS2 the compass points North...

Hey..are you by any chance related to Hoffalives??

Last edited by Giulietta; 09-26-2008 at 01:31 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
  #124  
Old 09-26-2008
Valiente's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Toronto
Posts: 5,491
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 10
Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
If this is what you call a "big freakin' sail", I pity your wives and girlfriends....

And if that is the famous Chesapeake Bay...good grief, it looks like the Atlantic off Portugal...like a mirror...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
  #125  
Old 09-26-2008
painkiller's Avatar
Apropos of Nothing
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,740
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 8
painkiller will become famous soon enough
[QUOTE=sailaway21;375144]
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigtoo View Post

We are watching the same video or did I just miss a tongue in cheek comment?

Hmmm. Sounds like you didn't catch the end. Watch it again. This time, pay particular attention to the background.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
  #126  
Old 09-26-2008
painkiller's Avatar
Apropos of Nothing
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,740
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 8
painkiller will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valiente View Post
If this is what you call a "big freakin' sail", I pity your wives and girlfriends....

And if that is the famous Chesapeake Bay...good grief, it looks like the Atlantic off Portugal...like a mirror...
And you're not even getting the best part: the humidity. That never translates through video.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
  #127  
Old 09-26-2008
sailortjk1's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Porter, IN
Posts: 4,647
Thanks: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 10
sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
I missed it too.
I thought this was a thread about sailing.
Just giving you a little love this morning Pain.
__________________
Courtney is My Hero

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
  #128  
Old 09-26-2008
Thanks Courtney.
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: IL
Posts: 3,954
Thanks: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 11
T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about
[QUOTE=painkiller;375237]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailaway21 View Post


Hmmm. Sounds like you didn't catch the end. Watch it again. This time, pay particular attention to the background.
I'd rather have an elective root canal.

I'm surprised even YouTube didn't reject that one!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
  #129  
Old 09-26-2008
painkiller's Avatar
Apropos of Nothing
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,740
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 8
painkiller will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giulietta View Post
Pain..by the mast, there is a rope, normally has colours...it goes up the mast, then down..if you pull it down, the big white cloth goes up...Pull as hard as you can, till the cloth is all up there...

Next there should be another rope, that unrolls the other cloth at the front...

Then on the extremity there is another rope that is divided in two..yes you guessed it..one on each side of the mast...

Try to put the boat sideways to the wind...if you look up the mast there is a liitle arrow that tells you where the wind is coming from..

Pull on the rope of the fron cloth, on the side opposite from where the wind is blowing....now, over your head, there is a metal tube, attached to it, halfway thru there is another rope..try to center the metal tube with the boat..not too tight...

See??? the boat is now moving....stop the engine...

We call that sailing...try it...you will like it...

PS..next time, make sure you call at least one or two marinas in your path....and buy the lights too...

Good luck....

PS2 the compass points North...

Hey..are you by any chance related to Hoffalives??

Wait. The rope that goes up the pole and back down again? That operates the puppet. When I yank up and down on it, the blue-green bag near the pole kinda jumps up and down. It gives me the willies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
  #130  
Old 09-26-2008
Thanks Courtney.
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: IL
Posts: 3,954
Thanks: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 11
T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieCobra View Post
She's an old boat, I guess they used to fly more flags and burgees back then.
You do know you can put multiple flags on the same halyard, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 2 (0 members and 2 guests)
 
Thread Tools

 
Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may post attachments
You may edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
luffs, Battens and Leech ? painters Gear & Maintenance 17 11-15-2009 05:56 PM
Sloop or Ketch? maxheadspace Boat Review and Purchase Forum 46 07-27-2007 03:56 PM
Sails on a Boat That I'm Looking At FritzN Gear & Maintenance 9 02-22-2007 12:42 PM
The Balance of Hull and Sails Steve Colgate Buying a Boat Articles 0 05-25-2000 09:00 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:38 PM.

Add to My Yahoo!         
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
(c) Marine.com LLC 2000-2012

The SailNet.com store is owned and operated by a company independent of the SailNet.com forum. You are now leaving the SailNet forum. Click OK to continue or Cancel to return to the SailNet forum.