Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree224Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2009
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
20 K=Good Day.

Bob Perry??? Dude! He's just one of the coolest freakin' nautical architects around! Here's a link to his site.

Have a good sail PCP.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-10-2009

mrwuffles is on a distinguished road
Finally Got Out On The Hobie!!!

Yesterday me and dad stepped the mast in the yard for a dry run to make sure we had everything needed to sail my new to me hobie 16, everything looked to be in pretty good shape for the price we got it at, the mast went up, the sails went up no problems at all and all seemed well, after that we helped out mom and since we did that I got to go sailing on mothers day. We had wind speeds of about 15 knots while we were sailing, here is a buoy from the sound
MYSound: Western Long Island Sound Buoy - Time Series it is in the middle but the location we were at had the wind coming right off the sound over the bay and right on to the beach. We got the boat down to a local beach and me and my older brother were able to rig up the boat alone w/o the help of dad, we finally get it all set and start out going on a reach down the beach, while I am hooked into the trapeze the mainsheet wiggles its way out of my hands and i lose it but it is stuck in the jam cleat, now you would think that is OK but it wasn't. We got a nice little gust and we are hobie virgins so we flew a hull for a few seconds and buried the bow and I went flying, all this hell cause the elastic which holds the trapeze from flapping around to snap and made it unusable, the cotton jib halyard also snapped and we were stuck pointed into the wind, we drift back to the beach and replace the haylard with nylon and the trapeze we tied up and we were good to go, me and my brother flew, had a few perfect tacks for us which was amazing since we had never sailed a beach cat before and we didn't even have to back wind the jib a couple times, overall it was a great sail and a great way to spend the weekend, And the water was perfect!
Old 05-10-2009
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Wuff, dude, you DID IT! Freakin' awesome!

So did you get catapulted on that pitch pole? Still have all your teeth?

Sweet BFS dude. It's great to see you finally sailing!
Old 05-10-2009

mrwuffles is on a distinguished road
Ya I'm fine, once we got used to it we were hauling ass, it wasn't hard enough of a jerk to completely throw me hard but it caught me off guard, I'll learn sooner or later.
Old 05-10-2009
Last Man Standing

Well I'd say that's definitely a notch in the boom for the 2009 BFS Cup, dude.

Hey you still coming to the dinner next month? We just booked the last freakin' hotel room in Huntington. What's going on there in mid June? The placed is full!

I figured it was people flyin' in from all over the world to take a swing at me. So far I think I've pissed people off in like 6 different languages.

Later Wuff.
Old 05-11-2009

chall03 will become famous soon enough
Only 6?? Damn. If only Sander O spoke Swahili

Our Blog: Aussie cruising family

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-11-2009

twinsdad is on a distinguished road
Smack Daddy, is that around the time of the US Open golf tournament? It is being held in nearby Bethpage this year. Any way, hope you get to enjoy our waters. I sail on LIS, but from CT, not Long Island.
Old 05-11-2009

nk235 is on a distinguished road
Mr. Wuffles and Twinsdad or any of the other LI Sounders - you guys get to go sailing on Sunday when we had the small craft advisory? I had a little BFS action as I had brought my boat over to Smithtown for the weekend and needed to sail it back to Mt. Sinai harbor where I keep her on a mooring. The central sound buoy had 3.5-5.5 footers and winds gusting to 35 knts I can def say it was true! When leaving Smithtown bay we had an extreme close haul as we had to point more north than east trying to beat around Crains Neck before we could turn due east to make the run out to Mt. Sinai. That was exciting as we had a little bit of the jib unfurled and were crashing through waves at over 6knts. Had spray coming all the way over the dodger and it was so rough that my gf who has never gotten sea sick before and sails every where with me was about to barf over the side. Once we did round Crain's Neck we let more of the jib out and had a very nice and fast run past flax pond, Port Jefferson Harbor, the bluffs at Pirates Coves to the head buoy at Mt. Sinai. We then turned South towards the channel, jibed the now fully unfurled genny and shot into the channel and harbor at over 7.5 knts on a beam reach with a whole crowd of people on the pier watching us crash through at 30 degrees of heal. Wish I could have seen it from their perspective.

All in all it started off a little nerve racking when I first got out there and was pounding to weather with 5 footers crashing over the dodger and especially since we didn't see one other boat on the Sound the entire trip but once I cranked the stereo ipod to some tunes on my "storm playlist" (Bon Jovi's Dead or alive, Billy Joel's Downeaster alexa, Drop Kick Murphy's, etc.) we settled in and had one heck of a BFS!
Old 05-12-2009
Last Man Standing

nk! You're a freakin' monster! Nice BFS dude!

Pounding through with the DKMs is about as good as it gets. I think you absolutely hit the nail on the head though with your last paragraph. When you hit that moment that it turns from fear to fun - you've acheived BFS nirvana.

Now that smells like teen spirit.

BTW - Twins, yes, same timing. But I should finish the last round before we head out to sail. And I can always pick up the trophy later.

Look for me...I'll be the guy heckling Tiger about his lousy slice - and calling Jim Nance a sissy from the gallery.
Old 05-12-2009
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough
We need to pick a place to have dinner on June 19th, so we can get the word out. Huntington has a lot of places.

I'm still working on the boat Smack. I know, I know, it needs to be done in time. I may take a few days off to get a jump on things.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. .
. .