Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree224Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2009
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
No problem on the boat Bene. If it's not done in time I'll help you work on it (with an appropriate level of heckling of course). Then we'll just pile into Bubb's or Caleb's boat...or onto Wuff's hobie for hull fly! It's all good.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-12-2009
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
Canterbury Ales was pretty nice to us the last time we all went there. Reasonably priced food, a nice selection of draft beers, centrally located etc.
If the Smackster's gastronomical preferences are more wide ranging Huntington also has a good Thai place, decent Indian place as well as several Italian places.
...Fava beans with a nice Chianti... mmm ...

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-12-2009
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalebD View Post
Canterbury Ales was pretty nice to us the last time we all went there. Reasonably priced food, a nice selection of draft beers, centrally located etc.
If the Smackster's gastronomical preferences are more wide ranging Huntington also has a good Thai place, decent Indian place as well as several Italian places.
...Fava beans with a nice Chianti... mmm ...
Stay the hell away from my liver, dude.
Old 05-12-2009

mrwuffles is on a distinguished road
nk235, that was the day, it was out of control in the morning but once we waited it out we had a steady 16-18 from the NE which wasn't too bad. It was a little bit intimidating since it was me and my brother's first time but we hopped on and figured it all out.
Old 05-12-2009

nk235 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwuffles View Post
nk235, that was the day, it was out of control in the morning but once we waited it out we had a steady 16-18 from the NE which wasn't too bad. It was a little bit intimidating since it was me and my brother's first time but we hopped on and figured it all out.
Nice! Yeah it def was the day. I was just happy that after the first leg we had the wind on our stern. We left earlier in the day but once we got back and were getting in the car we saw from shore that the wind did die down a little bit but was still blowin like hell. Good for you guys on your first time. Each time you do it, it's still intimidating but each time you become a little more confident in your abilities and your boat and each time it gets a little more fun!

Where on the sound do you sail out of and what boat do you have? I'm guessing your further west?
Old 05-12-2009

twinsdad is on a distinguished road
I was home with Mom and the wife. Sometimes you have to put points in the bank!!!
Old 05-12-2009

mrwuffles is on a distinguished road
We sail northport bay, my current boat is only a hobie 16 but that is always changing with me, I go through a lot of boats, just haven't found one that I am really attached to I am also going to race a little bit on a larger boat
Old 05-12-2009

nk235 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwuffles View Post
We sail northport bay, my current boat is only a hobie 16 but that is always changing with me, I go through a lot of boats, just haven't found one that I am really attached to I am also going to race a little bit on a larger boat
Oh nice. Northport is a really nice place. We usually bring the boat over to the town dock for a weekend once or twice during the summer. I love how it is right in the heart of town although I hate that it is not floating! With the over 6 foot tide range tying it up is never easy. I'm sure you will have a lot of fun with the hobie this year.
Old 05-14-2009
1975 Newport 28

jaschrumpf is on a distinguished road
I think we all agree that a BFS doesn't necessarily involve extreme conditons of wind and sea, but can also include a sail that pushes the envelope of what a sailor has ever done with his boat. I had one of these tonight.

I have a 1975 Newport 28 with very vanilla rigging. I recently added a jib downhaul, but hadn't tested it yet until tonight. I really didn't want to singlehand alone for the first time; I wanted to have someone handy just in case my setup exploded into ruin and I needed immediate help. However, none of these plans came to fruition, and I found myself alone tonight and too eager to wait until later. It was an "edge" moment: could I handle what I was going to try without any backup?

In all honesty, it wasn't like I was facing extreme conditions: 15 mph winds on the Patapsco River were just about perfect for what I was going to do. So out I went.

The first thing I discovered is that my shock cord tiller tender couldn't hold the boat into the wind for very long. I idled down the engine and carefully pointed her into the wind to raise the main, but I didn't have it half way up before I noticed that the boat was falling off and the strain on the sail made it impossible to finish raising the main. I ended up making three big circles with the boat, raising the sail a bit more each time we came into the wind, until I had it up all the way. I can only imagine what I must have looked like to the other boaters coming out of the creek.

So once I had the main up I practiced with it a bit, tacking and gybing to get the feel of it, and I finally felt comfortable enough to decide to raise the jib. That was the mistake of the evening!

I just didn't have the right rig to handle the jib sheets. I was trying an experiment with the jib sheets coming right off the winches to the jib clew, with no blocks between, and it just didn't work. (As most of you could have told me, no doubt.) I only tried it because I saw a photo of a Newport 28 with that rig, but it was probably a primitive Photoshop effort, because it just didn't work at all. The photo was a fraud. The sheets either wrapped around the winch and locked up as if they were self-tailing winches, or the sheets just fell of the top of the winch.

So I struggled with the jib sheets for about an hour and a half, trying to figure out if there was any way to properly handle the boat with that setup. I finally abandoned the effort, and decided to drop the jib and main and motor back into the creek.

Well, I must have looked like the most drunkked sailor ever on the Patabsco River as I zigged and zagged all over the river trying gto get the sails down. I'd love to see my GPS track, as the tiller tender still couldn't told the boat into the wind even with the engine going. All I needed was "Yakety Sax" playing in the background and the comedy would have been complete.

At least I didn't hit anyone, and I was able to get the boat back home with the sails down . There was lots of work doing that, and my new jib downhaul jammed 2/3 of the way down, requiring me to go forward Yet again with only the tiller tender guiding us. I probably looped around another 2 or 3 times while clearling that mess up. At least the engine ran wonderfully. (Thank you Moyer Marine!)

So my BFS was under ideal conditions on a river I knew very well, yet the envelope was pushed way beyond anything I'd done before. I know that the next time I go out alone I'll make a few changes, and hopefully that will make a big difference .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Monrovia, MD

Last edited by jaschrumpf; 05-14-2009 at 09:19 AM.
Old 05-14-2009
Last Man Standing

Hey Schrumpf - I definitely think this rates, dude. Finding out what works and what doesn't it what it's all about in my mind. Yeah - maybe some salts were laughing at you over their D&Ss, but hell, you pulled it out of the slip and gave it go. And you even lived to tell the tale! So good on you.

However, I am a bit miffed that I'm now going to have the words "shock cord tiller tender" bouncing around my head all day to the tune of "Flatbush City Limits". Bastard.