Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree261Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-20-2009
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Those damn meth'd-out TV weather girls! They're like freakin' mermaids! Screw NOAA - she's cute!

NICE BFS GEORGE! Sounds like jumping from one foxhole to another. And I don't even want to know what "sporty" means. TMI, dude.

Can't wait to sail with you, man. I think I'm going to learn A LOT.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-20-2009

imagine2frolic is on a distinguished road
GeorgeB,

Sounds like an everyday sail once summer begins to approach. The Bay is such a fantastic place to sail. After a hard day's sail going down the Estuary is sweet!!!!!!! Sometimes I truly miss home......i2f

BORROWED, No single one of us is as smart as all of us!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-21-2009

random42 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
The actual heresy is the teaching of fear, over-complication and technicality instead of the adventure of actually sailing a boat, with the sails God gave it, in a good stiff breeze.
The above caught my eye... (great thread btw).

I grew up sailing (mostly dinghies), and no one ever "taught" me (ok, I watched my dad), but mostly we just did it. When I recently started sailing here in the US, I had to go get some certifications. I sat the tests for BK and BC so I could go do BBC (bareboat cruising) as it sounded fun (it was) - so now I have 3 certs ;-) I only mention this to say that a well structured (and standardized?) sail training program is a nice thing to have, and it does seem to exist here. Mind you, John Rousmaniere's "Annapolis Book of Seamnanship" is a pretty good substitute.

Just to be on topic; a BFS (one of my most embarrassing ones - my excuse is I was probably only 14). We were out in a mirror (10' dinghy), wind was 20+ knots (guessing - it was 30+ years ago). We left the beach on a broad reach - going nice and quick... even quicker once we got out past the breakwater. After a while we decided to come about - but couldn't. Every time we tried, we lay on our side (yes we eased sheets ;-), we didn't go over but were on the brink. After a few tries, we decided we were simply not big enough for this wind (we were both on the small side), and to head for the lee of the breakwater a few miles downwind (there was a marina every few miles in that area). It was only after we'd landed and called my dad to come fetch us - that it occurred to me that raising the centerboard would probably have helped ;-)
Old 05-21-2009
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Hey random - welcome, dude. Look, a 10' dinghy in 20+...respect!

BTW - I'm going for my certs too. So I'm not one to harsh them. Just want to get past the hyper-conservative "dogma" of sailing and let it all fly a bit.

Last edited by smackdaddy; 05-21-2009 at 11:43 AM.
Old 05-21-2009

Winderlust is on a distinguished road
Question Board Up or Down?

Quote:
Originally Posted by random42 View Post
It was only after we'd landed and called my dad to come fetch us - that it occurred to me that raising the centerboard would probably have helped ;-)
Hey random,

Don't you mean lowering the centerboard would probably have helped? I mean that's pretty much what the thing is there for, that and working up wind.

One time in about 1986 I, a novice sailor, had my sister and her husband along in my 17' Montgomery out on So. Cal's Silverwood Lake, notoriously windy water. A wind gust took my brother-in-law's cap. We tacked back and forth trying to get that hat and we just couldn't seem to get up wind. The boat also felt extra rolley. On a close pass, because I felt responsible, I jumped in to retrieve it. I swam like crazy to climb back aboard on the next close pass. About 10 minutes later and after all the hassle, I realized the 700 lb centerboard was still up. Duh... It might help a little to put the board down. And it did.

Last edited by Winderlust; 05-21-2009 at 06:26 PM.
Old 05-22-2009

random42 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winderlust View Post
Hey random,

Don't you mean lowering the centerboard would probably have helped? I mean that's pretty much what the thing is there for, that and working up wind.
No, I meant up - was thinking the extra leeway we would have made would have made it easier to keep her up while we came about, then we'd put it down again.

Bottom line, we were probably too little (the boys not the boat) to be out in those conditions.
Old 05-26-2009

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
Hey Smacky, I got one for ya.
Went out Sunday with the wind blowing like stink out of the North. On Michigan that means three hundred miles of fetch. My guests on board invited a guest, so the first guest said "It doesn't look too rough," as we were leaving the harbor and headed to the outer breakwall. I knew better, I say, "Just wait till we clear the breakwall." Again he says something about how it doesn't look "That Bad."
Julie (my wife) asks me if I want the dodger closed up, me seeing my guest sitting there who is saying its "Not so bad", I say no leave the dodger open hoping to teach my guest a lesson.
Not fifteen minutes later we take water from the bow to the cockpit. Only problem was that it missed the intended target.
Of course after that the dodger was closed.
Beating back in to port, we hit a wave with the bow just right and I am telling you, that sucker shot up into the air ten feet over the deck.
I was thinking my good friend Smacky would be enjoying this.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
Old 05-26-2009
Last Man Standing

Awww TJ - I am in tears! That is freakin' beeeeaaaaaautiful! And I especially love the part about teaching the "guest" a lesson. Must have been a real blowhard. Man, I can't STAND those kinds of people!

Nice sailing, dude. I wish I could have been there.

I'm thinking you were diggin' it too, eh?
Old 05-26-2009

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about

This was right after poor Lynnda got hit with the friendly fire.
It was her first time sailing on a larger body of water.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White

Last edited by sailortjk1; 05-26-2009 at 10:54 AM.
Old 05-26-2009

bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about
Glad to hear you had a good time Tim! Ya, it ain't sailing unless you are taking water over the bow.

Never Forgotten