Big Freakin' Sails - Page 135 - SailNet Community
 407Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1341 of 3091 Old 06-10-2009

I had two good sails last weekend, not sure if they qualify as BFS but they were cool to me.

First we went racing on an 84 Olson 30, winds were 15 to 25 kts. As soon as we left the harbor the wire outhaul snapped. We were able to jury rig it with the flattener (?). So we are headed down wind to get to the area where the race was going to be and we raised the spin, got over 10kts. Things were going smooth until we had a wind shift that nearly broached the boat, with the tip of our mast just about 4 to 5 feet off the water. WOOOOHOOO!!!! We ended up placing 3rd in the race out of 7 boats, we didn't take the favored tack whihc sucked but it was still fun to sail. I got to take the helm all the way back and we were burying the leeward deck, what a nice boat.

After the race was done, we went to my C-25 and took her out. We had like 8 people on board as we had invited our powerboat slip neighbors. Didn't plan on that many but oh well, we have plenty of life jackets. Even though it was still very windy I chose my 130 which was a bad choice as it soon over powered the boat and people got scared. So we took the foresail down and sailed like that for about a half hour until I couldn't stand it any longer. We were making less than 2 kts. So I had my girl hank on the 110 and BOOM, we were in business. One of the guys sailing with us is a huge man and he became my secret weapon in terms of displacement. Once I got everyone how they need to be with legs hanging down on the windward side we started ROCKING. I actually pulled 6.9 kts out of my little Catalina, which broke my previous speed record of 6.3 kts.

So to me, a couple BFS's. I even had everyone yelling this phrase on my boat! I think I might have converted the powerboaters, they had a blast as well.

Peter Powers
1979 TR/FK #1390
~Stephanos~
Bayview Marina,
Lake Ray Hubbard
Dallas, TX

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1342 of 3091 Old 06-10-2009 Thread Starter
Last Man Standing

Man that sounds like a smokin' day PCP! When you've got rails buried, speed in the double digits under spin, shattering records, and converting stinkpotters into railmeat...THAT'S BFS, DUDE!

I would have been in tears to hear the battle cry. Well done man.

Last edited by smackdaddy; 06-10-2009 at 01:39 PM.
post #1343 of 3091 Old 06-10-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Man that sounds like a smokin' day PCP! When you've got rails buried, speed in the double digits under spin, shattering records, and converting stinkpotters into railmeat...THAT'S BFS, DUDE!

I would have been in tears to hear the battle cry. Well done man.

I might have gotten the battle cry off, just a tad bit. We weren't saying "freakin'"

it was a tad saltier....

Peter Powers
1979 TR/FK #1390
~Stephanos~
Bayview Marina,
Lake Ray Hubbard
Dallas, TX

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #1344 of 3091 Old 06-10-2009 Thread Starter
Last Man Standing

heh-heh. Shut yo mouth!
post #1345 of 3091 Old 06-10-2009 Thread Starter
Last Man Standing

Not that I'm paying attention or anything - but I just noticed that our little freakfest has just busted 50K!

I....I...don't know what to say....thank you....all....from the bottom of my shitzu.....I can't go on.....

post #1346 of 3091 Old 06-18-2009 Thread Starter
Last Man Standing

So there I am - puking over the stern rail of the ferry Miss New York, caught in raging chop and 30+ knots of howling Hudson fury. As I pull myself back into an upright position in the shadow of our beautiful Lady Liberty, and my heckling 5 year old kid who's standing perfectly still eating a corndog - I see in the distance, beating through the horizontal mist and whitecaps, a sailboat in the bay. It's flying full sails, on it's ear, and rounding up violently every 20 yards. Naturally, I'm impressed. BFS, dude.

Hopefully, that was a Sailnetter. If so, kudos, to you my friends. I hope to see your tale soon.

I love yous Easties!

(Don't worry Bubb - just kidding about the puking part.)
post #1347 of 3091 Old 06-18-2009

Hey Smack, where's Oceangirl? She was supposed to tell us about her 15 hour battle with 60 knot winds. (or was it 80?) How do we get her out of hiding?

Sailing isn't a matter of life and death. It's much more important than that!
post #1348 of 3091 Old 06-18-2009 Thread Starter
Last Man Standing

I don't know. Wouldn't mind seeing that tale either. 80 knots is pretty righteous.
post #1349 of 3091 Old 06-19-2009

We love you Westies too!
post #1350 of 3091 Old 06-22-2009 Thread Starter
Last Man Standing

The BFS Easties Throwwwwwdowwwwwwwn

Okay - three words: Easties Freakin' Rock!!

Definitely a helluva time!

First dinner with Bene and Caleb on Friday night. Everything was fine until, right in the middle of the pub, they pulled something that will give me nightmares for years to come...a little thing they called the "brownie sandwich". You NY guys need some serious therapy. I'm just sayin'.

I'm getting nauseous just thinking about it again. We don't do that kind of thing down in Texas - at least not in public. I had no idea people were that flexible. I checked the papers today to see if Maxine was okay. Nothing.

Anyway, that little incident got us immediately BANNED from the restaurant. A couple of patrons were sobbing - others applauding as we were thrown out into the street. So we dusted ourselves off and headed over to Bene's hard-bound-big-ass boat for some drunken guffaws and an imaginary BFS to some fine reggae.

Seriously great guys - seriously great time.

Then a KILLER sail yesterday with Bubb and his son where I learned a ton and had a freakin' blast. Great wind, a VERY sweet Bene which sails way better than my C27, and beautiful scenery. He even let me try to dock that ride. It really doesn't get better than that - ever. It was more than an honor - and on Father's Day no less. He's the man.

Thanks for a great time guys. I owe you one.

Photos coming soon!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.